DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Into the West 6/10/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/425846-into-west-6-10-05-a.html)

DodgingCars 06-07-05 02:51 PM

Into the West 6/10/05

Anyone planning on watching this? It looks like it will be really good. EW gave it a pretty good review (B+).

http://alt.tnt.tv/itw/#

As a fan of history and epic drama, I'm really looking forward to this one.

Red Dog 06-07-05 02:54 PM

Sounds like a traditional Western, so I'll be passing. The only Western I have ever liked is Deadwood.

DodgingCars 06-07-05 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Sounds like a traditional Western, so I'll be passing. The only Western I have ever liked is Deadwood.

I don't think it sounds like a traditional western at all, but then maybe what we think is a traditional western is different...

To me, a western is typically hero vs villain, gun shoot-outs, rough western towns, etc.

This is the history of America's move to the west.

Red Dog 06-07-05 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I don't think it sounds like a traditional western at all, but then maybe what we think is a traditional western is different...

To me, a western is typically hero vs villain, gun shoot-outs, rough western towns, etc.

This is the history of America's move to the west.

Well, you're right, although I do expect to see some elements of that (gunfights, cowboys vs indians, etc) in this. While a huge fan of American History, the Western expansion is probably the least interesting period IMO. One man's opinion of course.

I'm sure it will be visually impressive though - particularly since I believe it is an HD presentation.

DodgingCars 06-07-05 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm sure it will be visually impressive though - particularly since I believe it is an HD presentation.

It is... and I don't have HD :(

Groucho 06-07-05 03:09 PM

I'm interested. But if it conflicts with Dancing with the Stars, forget it!

DodgingCars 06-07-05 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm interested. But if it conflicts with Dancing with the Stars, forget it!

Is that your Indian name?

mikeporter 06-07-05 09:38 PM

I'll give it a shot...it airs over 6 weeks...each episode is 2 hours long...I hope it isn't bloated.

Shady12 06-08-05 04:06 AM

I have HD but not TNT-HD..bummer. Gonna watch it though.

Big Worms 06-09-05 08:41 AM

I can't wait for this!

pilot 06-09-05 08:55 AM

I'll be watching...each episode is 2 hours long, and they're replaying it at least 3 or 4 days before the next episode..so if anyone misses it you can watch a repeat..

kvrdave 06-09-05 11:45 PM

I plan to tivo and wait and hear if it was worth it. I did the same with Revelations, and decided not to watch it. :)

DodgingCars 06-10-05 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I plan to tivo and wait and hear if it was worth it. I did the same with Revelations, and decided not to watch it. :)

Entertainment Weekly liked it.
TV Guide said eh.

Geofferson 06-10-05 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave

I did the same and will do it for this as well. :up:

TheNightFlier 06-10-05 08:34 PM

Been great so far :thumbsup:

MrX 06-10-05 09:11 PM

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll probably watch it again to just get all the characters straight.

Was that Gary Busey that got knifed in the duel?

TheNightFlier 06-10-05 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
Was that Gary Busey that got knifed in the duel?

Yeah it was.

Bill Needle 06-11-05 10:19 AM

To paraphrase Yellowbeard, "Gary Busey's never more dangerous than when he's dead."

atlantamoi 06-11-05 10:39 AM

I missed it last night, but will Tivo it tonight or Sunday night as it airs on TNT three nights in a row. It looks interesting to me and I'm not normally a fan of Westerns... guess it's different enough looking.

Groucho 06-11-05 11:39 PM

It was pretty good. I could have done without all the spiritual mumbo jumbo.

edstein 06-12-05 10:17 PM

I liked it. It had a real Dances with Wolves feel to it. I watch again.

B.A. 06-13-05 07:21 AM

That was Gary Busey in the duel over Thunderheart Woman (:drool:)? I didn't even notice that...

I've only seen the first part, but I liked it.

Now bring on Keri Russell.

Giles 06-13-05 10:16 AM

I'd watch anything that Will Patton stars in... :D

edstein 06-13-05 10:40 AM

That bear scene was pretty graphic. Cool but, graphic.

adamblast 06-13-05 10:54 AM

I didn't hate it, and I'll probably finish it, but there were some really stupid and lame things about it, starting with the voiceovers, and including all the indian vision-junk... Not a very good script, frankly, for something with such an epic scope and such huge artistic resources behind it...

When the two main character/narrators met, I half-expected them to have a narration-battle... Wait a minute! *I'm* the narrator here!!