Into the West 6/10/05

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Into the West 6/10/05

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish movies could get native spirituality right. I've read some books that really absorb you in the rituals and beliefs, but I've never seen it brought to the screen in a powerful way. I'll watch the rest of these because I will watch most western-themed things, but it isn't exactly the Band of Brothers-quality type of tv miniseries I naively had some hope for.
Old 06-14-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Wayyy too much mystically magical stuff. I don't need another five minutes of dancing in place, the first five was enough thanks. Plenty of hammy acting typical for a made-for-TV-drama is also distracting. But there's some good stuff here too, and overall it's worth another watch. At least as long as I have the fast-forward handy.
Old 06-14-05, 05:20 PM

Into the West draws 6.5 million

TNT is riding high in the saddle with its limited series "Into the West," as Friday's opening installment corralled 6.5 million total viewers.

The combination of the two-hour opener's viewership at 8 and 10 p.m. grabbed 9.6 million, with millions more expected to have tuned in for replays Saturday and Sunday. Each of the six weekly installments will get a triple play over the course of their respective weekends.

The initial interest will come as validation for "West," a Western drama with an estimated $100 million budget. Steven Spielberg is attached as executive producer through DreamWorks Television.

"We are very proud that viewers are responding so favorably to this dramatic tale and that our strategy of offering multiple telecasts each weekend is already paying off in such a big way," said Steve Koonin, executive VP and chief operating officer at TNT and TBS. Both networks are units of Time Warner, as is CNN.

But though "West" opened strong enough to top the total-viewer haul in primetime of all the broadcasters but NBC on Friday, the drama did little to lower TNT's median age. Nearly three-quarters of the viewers for the 8 p.m. premiere were older than 50.

TNT made a point of reaching out to younger viewers in the marketing for "West" via an aggressive marketing campaign that focused on young stars like Keri Russell, and the romantic element of life back in the olden days.

Spielberg managed to top his own last major cable venture, the Sci Fi Channel miniseries "Steven Spielberg Presents Taken," which premiered to 6.1 million in 2002.

CNN Entertainment
Old 06-14-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
It was pretty good. I could have done without all the spiritual mumbo jumbo.
I only watched half of it, but can't make up my mind if I want to finish because of the spiritual stuff. Just WAY too silly. I don't mind them showing what they believed, but not that the stuff actually happened. Yuck.
Old 06-15-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
I didn't hate it, and I'll probably finish it, but there were some really stupid and lame things about it, starting with the voiceovers, and including all the indian vision-junk... Not a very good script, frankly, for something with such an epic scope and such huge artistic resources behind it...

When the two main character/narrators met, I half-expected them to have a narration-battle... Wait a minute! *I'm* the narrator here!!
Sometimes narration can be done well and sometimes its a cheat. I felt like it was a cheat here.

Though, I really enjoyed the show despite some of its flaws (I agree with most of what you pointed out). I'll definately watch the rest.
Old 06-15-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I only watched half of it, but can't make up my mind if I want to finish because of the spiritual stuff. Just WAY too silly. I don't mind them showing what they believed, but not that the stuff actually happened. Yuck.
Didn't really bother me that much, but some of it came off as silly.
Old 06-15-05, 01:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Sometimes narration can be done well and sometimes its a cheat. I felt like it was a cheat here.
I have to agree. I think the show would be a lot stronger without it. But it's not too annoying.
Old 06-19-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

all in all, not too bad, but not great either. the characters are a bit confusing to keep track of and maybe i just missed it but what happened to the josh brolin character? one minute jacob was with him and the next jacob was off on his own?
Old 06-19-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kevin75
all in all, not too bad, but not great either. the characters are a bit confusing to keep track of and maybe i just missed it but what happened to the josh brolin character? one minute jacob was with him and the next jacob was off on his own?
He won property in Mexico from gambling and headed south to claim it. He wanted Jacob to come with him, but Jacob declined and headed west by himself.
Old 06-19-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cool, thanks!