Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TV shows that you loved as a kid but unwatchable as a adult?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV shows that you loved as a kid but unwatchable as a adult?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 11:33 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely Sledge Hammer for me. I used to love this show as a kid, so I queued up the series on Netflix when it came out. After I watched the first disc I quickly removed the other discs from the queue. Other than the character's overtly sexist ways (which are actually funnier nowadays) the humor was just terrible.
Old 06-08-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as it pains me to say it, I'd have to put LAND OF THE LOST, LOST IN SPACE and SUPER FRIENDS in that category. It isn't so much that I can't stand them or think they aren't decent shows, but that I simply can't get in to them as an adult. Strange, though, I can still watch those cheesy Gamera movies and all is good.
Old 06-08-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd have to put LAND OF THE LOST, LOST IN SPACE and SUPER FRIENDS in that category. It isn't so much that I can't stand them or think they aren't decent shows, but that I simply can't get in to them as an adult. I rented one of the HARDY BOYS discs and couldn't sit through that either.

Strange, though, I can still watch those cheesy Gamera movies and all is good.
Old 06-08-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
You sure about that? From what I remember, the DVD set (the first season, anyway, which is all I've got) was a complete restoration and they fixed some of the problems they could. But it was chock full of errors when it first aired. I can't imagine that the DVD would introduce new errors. But it's been a while since I watched it.
Transformers wasn't error-free when it aired, but the Rhino DVDs do introduce quite a few errors not seen when broadcast.

Here's a webpage about the new errors Rhino's remaster introduced:
http://kenshiroh.tripod.com/dvd/tran..._s1/index.html

Basically, a lot of animation errors in the 35mm master were fixed before broadcast. However, those fixes are only on tape. Rhino decided to use the 35mm master exclusively instead of inserting the fixes on the master broadcast tape. In a few instances they tried to fix the 35mm mistakes themselves, to less than stellar results.
Old 06-09-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with those saying "pretty much all of them". And, quite frankly, that's the way it should be. I think a better question would be "TV shows that you loved as a kid but are still watchable as an adult?"

Perfect example in answer to the OP's question: 'My Favorite Martian'. My world revolved around this show when I was a kid. But I happened to d/l a few season 1 episodes recently and I didn't laugh once. And it's not just that I'm obviously older -- these shows were terrible!

Perfect examples in answer to my question: I can still watch 'Star Trek TOS', and 'Rocky & Bullwinkle'.
Old 06-09-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. Just horrible. I bought Lost and Space too. Boy were some of those dumb.
Also Happy Days I watched Recently. I couldn't get through it.
Old 06-09-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil L.
Cheers
I can't believe this was a show I ever looked forward to watching.
It feels like blasphemy to say it, but I agree with Cheers... It was my favorite show, but it's so dated. Also, I think I've seen every episode multiple times anyway. Even the early seasons of Seinfeld feel dated to me, and that show isn't that old! I'm almost afraid to watch Night Court again.

Surprisingly, the shows I watched when I was really really small still seem the same. Sesame Street, the Great Space Coaster, Fraggle Rock, the Muppet Show, Rocky and Bullwinkle and stuff like that. As a huge anime fan, I think stuff like Robotech, Captain Harlock and Star Blazers still holds up. And as I love cartoons, I still like the classics (Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Loony Tunes, etc.), although I know that the action cartoons of the 80s, if they held no nostalgic value for me, would be trash (how many times did we see Heman run across the same track of land?). I can't help but compare Super Friends to Justice League, and it doesn't come out favorably.

Sitcoms seem to age the worst, at least to me. Maybe it's the laugh tracks, but most likely it's because my taste in comedy has evolved somewhat. Pretty much all of the old TGIF shows are dead to me now. Shows like Different Strokes, Silver Spoons, Who's the Boss aged a little better. I will still watch Happy Days, but I wonder how much of that is nostalgia. I'm afraid of watching stuff like Mork and Mindy and the Greatest American Hero, since it'll probably tarnish my memory of them. Though I will always like Family Ties, for whatever reason.
Old 06-09-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of cartoons...My favorites as a kid were things like Transformers..Gobots..GI Joe..He Man. I haven't seen an episode of ANY since I was a kid but have wanted to check them out..looks like I would probably be disappointed. I also really liked Disney shows like TaleSpin(my favorite), Duck Tales, and Gummi Bears. Haven't seen Gummi Bears since I was a kid but I definitely don't like TaleSpin or DT much now.

My favorite sitcom ever is probably Night Court. Favorite non-sitcom probably Star Trek: TNG. Still like them and the only shows I can watch over and over. I never like watching episodes more than once but these 2 I can(well, Seinfeld also).
Old 06-09-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oddly enough I like Dukes of Hazzard even more now. As a kid I saw it as an action adventure type show. But now it's obvious that it was meant to be a screwball comedy. And it works.

Knight Rider on the other hand is unwatchable. All of the actors take it so seriously even when nothing makes any kind of sense.

D
Old 06-09-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
When I was a kid I used to watch Cubs baseball but then I reached the age of reason.
Old 06-09-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Knight Rider makes the top of this list. Unwatchable doesn't even begin to describe this show.
Old 06-09-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Suprised how many people said Happy Days,loved it when i was a kid(cept of course after Ron Howard and Donnie Most left) and i still watch reruns of it on occasion and enjoy it.

I think for me its more the action shows like Battlestar Galactica(love the new version though),A-Team,Buck Rogers,Dukes of Hazard,Knight Rider,etc that just dont seem the same.

Kinda dont ever wanna see Six Million Dollar Man or Bionic Woman again just to preserve the memories as i remember them
Old 06-10-05, 12:26 AM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

A-Team
Knight Rider
Dukes of Hazzard
GI Joe
Greatest American Hero

I CAN still enjoy BSG and Magnum PI. And remember RIPTIDE? Well I really don't but I think I used to like it! Also, I can still watch Macguyer and the Incredible Hulk. Hulk is a kids show, but god that was a sad show. It's even sadder thinking about it now. JUST STAY IN ONE PLACE AND MAKE A LIFE DAVID BANNER!

I haven't seen it in ages so I can't say the same thing applies, but I used to LOVE Airwolf, there wasn't a show I'd rather watch. JAN MICHAEL YOU BASTARD, YOU HAD TO RUIN IT!

Last edited by Jadow; 06-10-05 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-10-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buck Rogers. I watched a few episodes a few months back on Sci-Fi. It was horrible.
Old 06-10-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jadow
A-Team
Also, I can still watch Macguyer and the Incredible Hulk. Hulk is a kids show, but god that was a sad show. It's even sadder thinking about it now. JUST STAY IN ONE PLACE AND MAKE A LIFE DAVID BANNER!

I haven't seen it in ages so I can't say the same thing applies, but I used to LOVE Airwolf, there wasn't a show I'd rather watch. JAN MICHAEL YOU BASTARD, YOU HAD TO RUIN IT!
I still like the Incredible Hulk, Even thinking about buying all of the episodes.
Old 06-10-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Derrich
Oddly enough I like Dukes of Hazzard even more now. As a kid I saw it as an action adventure type show. But now it's obvious that it was meant to be a screwball comedy. And it works.D
Yeah same here, I enjoy watching an episode of the Dukes every now and then on CMT.
Old 06-11-05, 09:35 PM

Full House
Family Matters
Step by Step
Growing Pains
Who's The Boss

I can still seem to stand Saved By The Bell. I actually would still thoroughly enjoy Double Dare though.
Old 06-15-05, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Flave
'My Favorite Martian'. My world revolved around this show when I was a kid. But I happened to d/l a few season 1 episodes recently and I didn't laugh once.
thought those gimmicky shows about weird stuff would all be corny but Martian was actually funnier than I remembered. For some reason I thought that show was more plausible than other ones, like Jeannie, Bewitched, Munsters,etc.

And the old Superman series is kind of funny too. I think these shows reach a level of being bad due to repetition that they eventually become good again.
Looking at the Neilsens from decades past puts to shame any bad shows that get high ratings today. No. 1 show for the week: Beverly Hillbillies? What was this country smoking?
Old 06-15-05, 03:45 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Alice, Gomer Pyle, Who's The Boss, and Growing Pains.

I agree with all of you who said that Magnum P.I. holds up well. It's my favorite show.

To the person who said Magnum P.I. is not in A&E anymore: It's now on WGN at noon and 3 P.M. Eastern time each weekday, and those are 2 different episodes each day.
Old 06-15-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Don't know if it's been mentioned but I must admit that as an adult I kinda hate the 1960's Batman series, I know, I know, it's a classic. But to me it's a shit representation of Batman.

But as a kid I loved it....