Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TV shows that you loved as a kid but unwatchable as a adult?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV shows that you loved as a kid but unwatchable as a adult?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was watching the 1st season of the Transformers and my god, I didn't realize how many mistakes there were in the animation....but it's great memories.
Old 06-07-05, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
What? No love for BSG '78? I love the show just for the Cylon's line "By your command..."

Yeah, it's true that some episodes were pure '70s cheese, but for the most part, the Cylon episodes were good. Shame they kept using recycled stock footage for a lot of the space battles.

I bought the set, watched every episode, then decided that I had no interest in re-watching them ever again... so I sold the set for about 1/2 of what I paid for it. My favorite episode was the one with "Red Eye", but apart from that one the stories just didn't hold up -- in fact, I found most of the stories to be incredibly poorly conceived/written. And the acting was atrocious. And why the Cylons would give power to Baltar was never satisfactorily explained. And the Cylons themsleves simply weren't all that menacing anymore (not like when I was 12 and watched the show) -- in fact, at times their ineptness/predictablility was almost laughable.

The new series, on the other hand, is outstanding. I can't wait for Season 1 to come out on DVD. How come we haven't heard any release announcements yet (for region 1)?
Old 06-07-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Almost every show I watched as a kid is unwatchable now: Happy Days, Three's Company, Dukes of Hazard, C.Hi.P.S. - all of them are unbearable. The only one I still enjoy is Sledge Hammer.
Old 06-07-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The animated shows I can still watch in spite of the simplistic plots and characterization... Voltron, He-Man, ThunderCats, etc. I still like them for the same reason I liked them back then. The only exception is probably Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which came out later. I was religiously hooked to that show, but ...it's really, really stupid.

And for some reason I was really into The A-Team -- I even had the action figures and van -- but looking back I can't for the life of me understand how a kid could get into that show.
Old 06-07-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
The animated shows I can still watch in spite of the simplistic plots and characterization... Voltron, He-Man, ThunderCats, etc. I still like them for the same reason I liked them back then. The only exception is probably Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which came out later. I was religiously hooked to that show, but ...it's really, really stupid.
See for the same reason you can't watch TMNT is the reason I can't (and won't) watch any of those shows ever again. I remember when Cartoon Network was getting ready to start reruns of Thundercats in the mid 90's. I was so pumped because I remembered loving it as a kid so I called my friend up and we watched it together on the phone. Welp it turned into a big "WTF? This is so lame!" type deal. I still have a warm spot for those shows in my heart, but I just cannot watch them now. Tarnishes the image.

Oddly enough I have no issues watching shows like Knight Rider, A Team, McGuyver, Magnum PI, or other "action" shows from the 80's. Maybe it's because I discovered them in syndication(I was still a kid), but they're just so much fun. I don't want them on dvd or anything though.
Old 06-07-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by phatboy
I was watching the 1st season of the Transformers and my god, I didn't realize how many mistakes there were in the animation....
Many of those mistakes are new to the DVD set and were not present in the original broadcasts.
Old 06-07-05, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Which may help explain your obsession with Lizzie McGuire. True parents would have fixed that.
grandparent counts as a parent.

and nothing can stop true love so it doesn't matter or what you refer to as obsession.. which you make judgement without even knowing anything about me or without knowledge of the situation.

that's right i love her... love her art.. and love that show.. not afraid to admit it and won't deny it.

and before someone tells me that's off topic... i am just responding to yet another cheap shot thrown my way.
Old 06-07-05, 08:57 PM

Battlestar Galactica. I purchased the series on DVD and couldn't force myself to watch past the 4th episode... GAWD how horrible that series was! It certainly wasn't how my 7 year old, Star Wars starved brain remembered it.
Old 06-07-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
grandparent counts as a parent.

and nothing can stop true love so it doesn't matter or what you refer to as obsession..

that's right i love her...
...from a 27 year old man, about a 17 year old girl. I know people bitch about our freedoms and privacy being taken away, but at times like these...God I hope some branch of federal law enforcement monitors the internet...

-JP
Old 06-07-05, 09:35 PM

just turned 26 today and she is 18 which proves again people judging a situation without any kind of knowledge whatsoever.

you hope law enforcement monitors? hahahaah what are they going to sentence me to the electric chair for having her posters or saying i love her.. or listening to her music.. oh god funniest thing i have ever heard.
Old 06-07-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I caught some recent reruns of Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers on SciFi. Time hasn't been kind to either show.
Old 06-07-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
I'm curious, what TV shows did you loved as a kid but is unwatchable as a adult?
All of them. Except Batman.
Old 06-07-05, 11:49 PM

Adams Family
Beverly Hillbillies
Munsters
Old 06-08-05, 12:06 AM

I can still watch and enjoy the original Battlestar Galactica. Yeah, it has it's "issues," but I still find it watchable. I bought the set when it came out, and won't part with it.

But the new BSG on SciFi is a great update. It kind of feels like the series I knew has grown up for me. New second season starts in July!
Old 06-08-05, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Many of those mistakes are new to the DVD set and were not present in the original broadcasts.
You sure about that? From what I remember, the DVD set (the first season, anyway, which is all I've got) was a complete restoration and they fixed some of the problems they could. But it was chock full of errors when it first aired. I can't imagine that the DVD would introduce new errors. But it's been a while since I watched it.
Old 06-08-05, 06:35 AM

I watched "Dukes Of Hazzard" religiously as a kid but I can't for the life of me bring myself to watch it on CMT let alone buy the DVD's. It doesn't work for me anymore!!
Old 06-08-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
You sure about that? From what I remember, the DVD set (the first season, anyway, which is all I've got) was a complete restoration and they fixed some of the problems they could. But it was chock full of errors when it first aired. I can't imagine that the DVD would introduce new errors. But it's been a while since I watched it.
I remember a lot of errors from the original broadcast as well. Characters being the wrong color was a very common mistake. Of course the funniest ones were when a character was somehow in 2 places at once. I seem to recall an ep where Bumblebee (I think, or one of the other mini's) was held captive, then they go to the Autobot base and there he is standing in the background.
Old 06-08-05, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Way too many to name. Of the ones that come to mind off hand I've tried rewatching the following and didn't really care for any of them:

Battlestar Galactica
Tour of Duty
SWAT
Airwolf
Buck Rogers
Star Blazers
V: the series
Space 1999
Combat

There are others like A-Team and Knightrider that I'm pretty sure just wouldn't hold up anymore so I haven't even bothered w/ them. In fact it's probably easier to name the ones I still like; Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and Hogan's Heroes are the only ones that really come to mine (and things like loony tunes ).

It makes me wonder though if in 10 to 20 years we'll look back on things like Babylon 5, Stargate SG1, The Shield, etc and wonder how did we ever like/watch those shows
Old 06-08-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Batman
The Monkees
Gilligan's Island
Superfriends
Welcome Back, Kotter
Chico and the Man

Still like The Brady Bunch, and although it's paper thin, Three's Company.

I can still get into some episodes of Happy Days.

Haven't seen The A-Team in years, I wonder how that would hold up.
Old 06-08-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The A-Team holds up for me, mainly because the characters are so entertaining. It doesn't stand well for marathon viewing on DVD, but when TV Land reaired them a while back, I thoroughly enjoyed catching an episode a day after work.

I do find that the late 60s/early 70s detective shows like Mannix and Cannon hold up better for me than those from the 80s, mainly because the 80s had more cheese. I can barely tolerate MacGuyver now; however, Magnum, P.I. holds up OK.

Then again, I'm also a nostalgia whore. I'm more likely to be able to enjoy an episode of The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis than an episode of Friends.

das
Old 06-08-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by M Polo
I watched "Dukes Of Hazzard" religiously as a kid but I can't for the life of me bring myself to watch it on CMT let alone buy the DVD's. It doesn't work for me anymore!!
Same here.

When I read the title of this thread, Dukes of Hazzard was the first show that came to mind.
Old 06-08-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Superfriends, bought it and enjoyed the memories, but the show is very dated.
Old 06-08-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GI Joe and Transformers. Loved them as a kid. Think it's garbage now. Shitty animation and plots.
Old 06-08-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cheers
I can't believe this was a show I ever looked forward to watching.

Going in the opposite direction though...shows that I can still watch and enjoy...
I can still watch and laugh at episodes of Leave It To Beaver or Andy of Mayberry.
Old 06-08-05, 11:19 AM

Punky Brewster

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.