Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Current cartoons for adults (like Simpsons, etc.)?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-06-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
well...yadda, yadda.
I would call THE SIMPSONS the best (animated) TV show ever - until S11. After that the series lacks the irony and serveral episodes were just horrible. Futurama was during the four seasons always good, unfortunately it get cancelled.
FAMILY GUY isn't as clever as the Groening shows but I like it nevertheless. It could be quite silly but has some real funny jokes.

Are there any good animated shows for adults right now on US TV (and on DVD)? I'm looking forward to the new FAMILY GUY seasons and AMERICAN DAD. What about those Adult Swim Series? Heard a lot about them...but none of those were shown in Germany.

Cheers,
Frenzy
Old 06-06-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I strongly recommend:

The Venture Brothers - best animated show on television IMO. It may be the funniest show as well.
Sealab 2021
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Justice League
Old 06-06-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Adult Swim is you're friend.
Old 06-06-05, 12:29 PM

Not an animated show, but if you get a chance to see "Arrested Development" check it out. It's a live action show that is very much in the vein of "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy."
Old 06-06-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"South Park." Cruder than "The Simpsons," but funny as hell (w/ some biting social commentary).
Old 06-06-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Not an animated show, but if you get a chance to see "Arrested Development" check it out. It's a live action show that is very much in the vein of "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy."
I own the first seaon of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. But even after the half of the seaon I still don't like the series very much. Regarding current live action comedy I had much more fun with "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Scrubs".

Originally Posted by DJLinus
"South Park." Cruder than "The Simpsons," but funny as hell (w/ some biting social commentary).
How could I forget South Park? D'oh!
Old 06-06-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Believe it or not, Justice League Unlimited is great for adults. Sure it doesn't tackle the hard adult themes, but it walks that line that both adults and childern can love it.
Old 06-06-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aqua Teen Hunger Force, best of Adult Swim. Also on AS Home Movies, Tom Goes to the Mayor. And great concept, horrible execution - Drawn Together. Some that are featured for kids, but I think are geared more for adults COw & Chicken and I Am Weasle
Old 06-06-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Adult Swim is you're friend.
Not only that, but it is also your friend!

Check out Robot Chicken, a 15-min stop-animation buffet on Cartoon Network.
Old 06-06-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would also recommend Harvey Birdman, Sealab, and Aqua Teen from Adult Swim. I've heard good things about Robot Chicken but haven't seen it yet.

I would also recommend Wonder Showzen on MTV2. It's kind of a kids show for adult. Think Sesame Street meets Meet the Feebles. It has some animation but is mainly live action skits with puppets and children. It's bizarre and offensive and surreal and satirical. You'll either love it or hate it!
Old 06-06-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check out Paranoia Agent, Fooly Cooly, and Samurai Champloo on adultswim. All A+ shows but they have already started and you might be lost if you start now. Not so much with Samurai but paranoia agent and fooly cooly will have you scratching your head even if you started from the start.
Old 06-06-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Venture Brothers is the best show on Adult Swim.
Has there been any talk of a dvd release for it????

Home Movies is great too.
Old 06-06-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Adult Swim favorites:
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sealab 2021
Robot Chicken

I'd say ATHF is head and shoulders above the rest as far as funny goes.
Old 06-06-05, 10:54 PM

I'd strongly recomend House of Cosby's and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
Old 06-07-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
Aqua Teen Hunger Force, best of Adult Swim. Also on AS Home Movies, Tom Goes to the Mayor. And great concept, horrible execution - Drawn Together. Some that are featured for kids, but I think are geared more for adults COw & Chicken and I Am Weasle
Huge [as] fan here (check out Inuyasha), but also a lot of CN's stuff. Cow and Chicken had some very funny stuff, as did I Am Weasel. Spongebob can be pretty trippy at times (even referenced Dune in one ep). Powerpuff Girls can be hot and cold. When they're cold, they're fairly amusing cartoons, but when they're hot, they're hot. The Rowdyruff Boys episode achieves a operatic/Tarantino-esque level of violence that really rides the edge at times.

Also Samurai Jack is great, and Tartakovsky's Clone Wars cartoons.

And a lot of older cartoons like the Looney Tunes and even old Disney shorts were often written at multiple levels, both for kids and adults. Esp Tex Avery stuff. Of course it's also nice to watch these just to study the craftsmanship.

Ren & Stimpy (the early stuff) can be pretty funny, and a little mature. And for an extreme dose of surrealism, check out the episode where Stimpy makes his own cartoon called "Explodey the Pup". The framing story is kinda hard to sit thru, but that short makes it all worth it.

And speaking of extreme, there's Spike TV's MXC, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. It's a dubbed (live action) Japanese game show where contestants risk their physical well being for, well, we've never seen the prizes. But the writing is hilarious as they make no attempt to translate, or even match lip flap, just be as crude and silly as they can make it. It's live action as I said, but it's kinda cartoony at times.
Old 06-07-05, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Not so much with Samurai but paranoia agent and fooly cooly will have you scratching your head even if you started from the start.
I own the Australian FLCL DVDs. Great, crazy Anime OVA with an excellent soundtrack.
Old 06-07-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well The Tick will be on Toon Disney soon. It was actually made for kids but its quite smart enough for most adults I think.

As for the Adult Swim shows I prefer ATHF(my fave of the bunch), Sealab, Venture Brothers, and Home Movies.
Old 06-07-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Clerks: Uncensored is a pretty funny DVD set.
Old 06-07-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd strongly recomend House of Cosby's and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
Holy shit. I know the guy who created House of Cosbys through a mutual friend! I had no idea it was on TV.
Old 06-07-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Holy shit. I know the guy who created House of Cosbys through a mutual friend! I had no idea it was on TV.
I don't think it is. Just on the internet.
Old 06-07-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by littlefuzzy
Clerks: Uncensored is a pretty funny DVD set.
Funniest show not on TV.
Old 06-07-05, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew

Its not on TV , which kind of makes it out of place here in the this thread but its a damn fine short show and needs to be mentioned. But hey, the internet is practically the tv today...isnt it.
Old 06-07-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of stuff on the Internet, I liked the Camp Chaos cartoons with Metallica going after MP3 downloaders. They have a DVD with some of them.
Old 06-08-05, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone still know Duck Man? I kinda like that series. It had a hilarious dub over here.
Old 08-01-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Aqua teen still releasing episodes (or were there any past what has been released on DVD)? I have the 3 dvd sets, but haven't had cable in a year and a half, so I am not sure. I know they are working on a movie right now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.