DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   is the real gilligans island kind of like survivor? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/425335-real-gilligans-island-kind-like-survivor.html)

atari2600 06-03-05 02:50 PM

is the real gilligans island kind of like survivor?

i never watched the show - whats the basic premise? do they vote each other off?

mrpayroll 06-03-05 03:01 PM

It's like a light version of Survivor.

The tasks are really not that hard and there is voting off of contestants, plus the Gilligan's, etc. will be pitted against each other in a final battle.

I've forgotten exactly how everything happens, but it was still a fun show to watch.

Chris

LorenzoL 06-03-05 03:03 PM

This is the link for the thread of the first season of this show, hopefully it will help explain some of your questions.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...illigan+island

Bill Needle 06-03-05 03:20 PM

Each character competes one on one against their counterpart in a challenge, then the final 7 go at it survivor style with immunities and vote-outs. There are also reward challenges between the two sets of characters during the early episodes.

dolphinboy 06-03-05 08:45 PM

I would assume they've tinkered with it. It certainly wasn't a train wreck if you want light summer fun, of course, it wasn't on in the summer the first time around.

The Survivor copycat was too much. Silly, but still too much. Hopefully, the've tinkered with that a little.

The worst part, for me, was that they allowed the REAL millionaires to use IOUs to buy people off. The one very rich man was buying massages from day one from a penniless girl from Kansas and, while it's light and entertaining, it's still a game show and buying favors should be a no-no. In the end, the millionaire man promised the hot Mary Ann who came close to winning that he'd give her a job if she went along with him and his wife. Of course the millionaire won and it didn't make for a very entertaining end.

Both Gingers were very hot and very cool on the first season. They both acted un-like the way stars (even b-list stars) usually act on reality shows. I don't think the Gingers are as good this season, but here's hoping the both go topless at the beach and take a lot of showers like in season 1.

nny 06-03-05 10:50 PM

I wasn't in to either of the Gingers the first season. The 2 Mary Ann's and the younger millionaire otoh were probably the biggest reason to tune in. Actually, the older female millionaire was another big reason to tune in because she was so funny.

I didn't get around to watching the second half of the first season until I had a bunch of time to kill a little over a month ago. I was really happy the millionaires won. It does suck that they kind of bought people off, but they were the best players. I remember watching it, hoping that TAR would end the same way with the best players winning even though I'm sure most of the audience didn't like them. Of course, that stupid gambling site spoiled the ending and I knew U&J would win.

Bill Needle 06-03-05 11:44 PM

As far as the millionaires buying people off, isn't that a direct lift from an actual Gilligan's Island episode? Doesn't get more real than that. :)

dolphinboy 06-04-05 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by nny
I wasn't in to either of the Gingers the first season. The 2 Mary Ann's and the younger millionaire otoh were probably the biggest reason to tune in. Actually, the older female millionaire was another big reason to tune in because she was so funny.

I didn't get around to watching the second half of the first season until I had a bunch of time to kill a little over a month ago. I was really happy the millionaires won. It does suck that they kind of bought people off, but they were the best players. I remember watching it, hoping that TAR would end the same way with the best players winning even though I'm sure most of the audience didn't like them. Of course, that stupid gambling site spoiled the ending and I knew U&J would win.

I wasn't saying that the Gingers were the reason to watch. The crazy millionaire woman and the hot Mary-Ann who nearly won were far better entertainment. The Gingers were just nicer and behaved better than I expected. They didn't seem to act above anyone else. Rachel and Nicole seemed very nice to everyone, except that crazy ass woman who deserved to get yelled at by Rachel

I also agree that the millionaires were the best players, but in the game, the way it was set up, it clearly makes people who've made millions through strategy and tearing people apart when they need to and buying what they can't get, huge favorites.

So, you would have to think very successful people will always be better than a couple of girls from places like Kansas who probably worked at Wal-Mart, 2 geeky Gilligans, 2 celebrities who don't really care because they're only there for the publicity, and 2 guys who know how to steer a ship.

They have to tweak it a little is all I'm saying. And, while I agree that the Millionaire and his wife from the actual Gilligan's Island show did try and use their money to their advantage, this is a game show-no matter how silly it is and there is a cash prize. If the millionaire offered the person in the finals $50,000 (which was pocket change to that rich guy who won) to simply not try and nothing if they did...they'd take the cash. You can't have that in a game show or it ruins everything that happened before it.

And, while the guy who won deserved to win, it's extremely anticlimactic to see a guy worth 100 million dollars win a car that would probably be worse than anything he already has at his estate and some money that he doesn't need. I think it went to charity, but I'm not sure. If it does, they should play that up because it was harder to root for all the people who were already really rich, which included 5 of the contestants (Rachel and the 4 millionaires).

I doubt Nicole Eggert is rolling in dough, but she's probably comfortable. I think it's roughly the same this season. Angie has a lot of money from B-movies and modeling and probably from Sly and others she's dated/married. The blonde is kind of a has been, I think.

nazz 06-04-05 01:06 AM

I thought the first season was good mindless fun. The losing millionairess was so annoying and disgusting that I could hardly stand to look at her though.

mrpayroll 06-04-05 01:31 AM

BTW, when is this premiering?

Chris

aktick 06-04-05 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
BTW, when is this premiering?

Chris

Wed, June 8, 9/8c.

I've never watched this show either, but I think I'll give it a try. My poor Tivo's been kind of neglected that past week or two, I've gotta give him something to do. :)

nny 06-04-05 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I also agree that the millionaires were the best players, but in the game, the way it was set up, it clearly makes people who've made millions through strategy and tearing people apart when they need to and buying what they can't get, huge favorites.

So, you would have to think very successful people will always be better than a couple of girls from places like Kansas who probably worked at Wal-Mart, 2 geeky Gilligans, 2 celebrities who don't really care because they're only there for the publicity, and 2 guys who know how to steer a ship.

Yeah, but you might be forgetting that the millionaires also won all the immunity challenges. I thought that was pretty impressive.

The prize money was for them to keep, but the millionaires said they would donate it to a charity if they won.