TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dancing With the Stars

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Dancing With the Stars

Anyone catch this?

I caught this 1st half, mild entertainment. It was amusing to watch Evander Holyfield dance the Cha-Cha.
Old 06-02-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched it for a couple of reasons:

One, because Kelly Monaco is one of the most beautiful women on the planet, and also because Kelly Monaco is one of the most beautiful women on the planet. Also, because I'm a sad television whore.

As a one-off special, it would be pretty entertaining, but I can't imagine why anyone would tune in week after week. I also thought it was pretty lame how they criticized Kelly for gazing into her partner's eyes during her dance but praised Trista for grinning like an idiot at the crowd, comlpetely detached from the dance or her partner. Of course, that pales in comparison to the lameness of me just typing a sentence of analysis of this show.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 06-02-05 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-02-05, 09:53 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As part of my masochistic pledge to watch every summer network reality competion show at least watch, I gave this a shot. While not as horrible as the promos led me to believe, it still wasn't very good. I agree with das that this would have been an okay special, but as a series how interesting can it be?

For starters, the whole thing hinges on the 'celebrity' angle, but the level of celebrity here is a joke. At least Celebrity Mole still had aspects of the original game if you didn't care about the c-level celebs. Seriously, a guy best known as a Seinfeld bit player?

A choice between the cha-ch-cha and the waltz? Why don't they steal a page from American Idol and have theme dances each week? Waltz one week, then hip hop, or hell, even square dance! Of course, the pros could take a lot of liberties with the themes, but they would have to at least attempt to incorporate these different styles into their routines.

It also might've been more fun if they hadn't given them 4 weeks to prepare, but instead gave them only a week to prepare for the first show. That way you increase the 'train wreck' factor, plus you actually get to (in theory) see their improvement from week to week, giving you more of a reason to actually watch more than once. As it stands I doubt I'll bother with this next week.
Old 06-02-05, 11:59 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bergeron misinterpreting the "flowers" comment was pretty funny.
Old 06-02-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Big numbers for the show.

From zap2it.com...

At 9 p.m., "Dancing with the Stars," an adaptation of a British hit, premiered to big numbers, scoring a 9.3/15. NBC's Eagles special improved to 6.2/10 to move into second. CBS averaged 4.5/7 with "The King of Queens" and "Yes, Dear," topping the 3.2/5 for another hour of "That '70s Show" on FOX. The WB held onto fifth with a "Smallville" rerun, which beat UPN's "Kevin Hill."
Old 06-02-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Three words: Carrie Ann Inaba

Oh how those In Living Color flygirls grow up. Tho she should be naked on the stripper pole like she was during her tour with Madonna.

Props to another local girl from Hawaii!
Old 06-02-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

scott shelton

Bergeron misinterpreting the "flowers" comment was pretty funny.
That was pretty funny, as was the "hostess" completely butchering Edyta's name.

Interestingly, sports talk radio here in Atlanta has been talking about this thing all day, mainly Evander's bigtime performance.

das
Old 06-02-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Anyone catch this?

I caught this 1st half, mild entertainment. It was amusing to watch Evander Holyfield dance the Cha-Cha.
I was talking on the phone, had this on the tv muted, and had Coldplay on in the background.

Needless to say, Holyfield dancing to Coldplay doesn't look too interesting.

Shut it off about two minutes later.
Old 06-02-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo

Oh how those In Living Color flygirls grow up. Tho she should be naked on the stripper pole like she was during her tour with Madonna.

Is she one of the backup dancers as seen on TRUTH OR DARE?
Old 06-02-05, 06:09 PM

I missed the first episode. I'll catch it next week.
Old 06-02-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by sinned
Is she one of the backup dancers as seen on TRUTH OR DARE?
She opened the Girlie Show tour.. topless on a stripper pole.
Old 06-02-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it also, just to see how big of a train wreck it would be.. better then I thought it would be, not really interesting to me but at least everyone seemed to do an ok job. As in no one fell etc..

Little lame they kept pounding into your head that's it's live.. I mean every time the host mentioned the show he made sure to say "we will be back live" "we are live" "dancing live".. WTF?!! that's not all that big of a deal anymore to the point you need to say it 1,000 times.. wow the basketball game I was just watching right now was live too. Big deal..

Also sort lame they had the now typical bad guy judge sep in this case it's a french guy bitching about dance so it's not really all that effective as a "bad guy".

not sure I will be watching another ep but glad I caught one shows worth being I try to watch at least one ep of anything that makes it to the air. Just to see what someone else thought was a good idea to greenlight as a show.
Old 06-03-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I still can't believe Kelly Monaco was able to survive her Playboy past, and make it as a soap opera actress.
Old 06-03-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I still can't believe Kelly Monaco was able to survive her Playboy past, and make it as a soap opera actress.
I don't watch soaps, so I had no idea who she was. However, a quick stop at Google Images -- nice!
Old 06-03-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had know idea she was on the show until I watched it last night on TIVO with my mother. Sadly, I almost made the mistake of saying, "Soap operas? I remember when she was a Playboy playmate and when she did nude scenes in such fine films like Idle Hands!" Thank God I didn't say that as that would be kind of akward to say in front of my mother.

The show was watchable, but I blame that on nothing else for me to do around the house at that moment. However, out of all the "stars" (which is such a loose interpretation), the guy from Seinfeld was the only decent dancer.
Old 06-03-05, 01:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
How big a star is a guy anyway when you don't even know his name and can only refer to him as the guy from Seinfeld. Might as well start casting survivor/ARace/Big Brother castoffs.

Now if they landed some really big stars, this show could actually be decent.
Old 06-03-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Thank God I didn't say that as that would be kind of akward to say in front of my mother.
More awkward that watching "Dancing the the Stars" with your mother?
Old 06-04-05, 12:58 AM

I happened to notice this incredibly cute girl on General Hospital some months ago and started to watch just to see her. Had no idea until recently that Kelly Monaco was a former playmate(April 97?) and that I even had her on the playboy dvd "Girlfriends." Actually she is a decent actress on GH. She's almost 30 and looks about 21, her natural beauty needs minimal makeup and she always looks great even in her usual jeans and cotton tops. She's so tiny I didn't realize how voluptuous she was until they put her in a bikini for a few days on a trip to the caribbean. Whew!!! I'm hoping the writers will get her into a triangle so she'll have to vamp it up to keep her man. Meanwhile, another actress on GH looked familiar, and I finally realized it was the lovely Kari Wuhrer playing an FBI agent! Unfortunately she no longer has those spectacular implants that you have all seen in the "Luscious" DVD.

I spotted Kelly in the Dancing promos and was surprised that she was considered a star. By sheer luck tuned in just in time to see her dance (nice costume) and get unjustly slammed by those idiot judges. But I will keep watching. Coincidentally, last week I saw that Hurley guy looking very embarrassed hosting the Mrs. World pageant. I was only slightly embarassed watching Mrs. World because I thought of it as a MILF swimsuit competition. Now the spanish chicas on Miss Universe this year were caliente!

Speaking of chicas, I am completely hooked on the spanish channels' novelas (soap operas) and will try to start an introductory thread next week. Till then, check out "Rebelde" at 3PM weekdays on univision.
http://www.univision.com/content/con...0&cid=618598#x
Old 06-05-05, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo

I went to high school with her. She was very popular there, but a really nice girl; not at all stuck up. I've followed her career with some interest ever since.
Fly Girl (In Living Color)
Topless Madonna Dancer (The Girlie Show)
Fook Mi (Austin Powers : Goldmember)
Choreographer (American Idol)
and now this POS. Still, I'm happy for her and hope it's a success for her.
Old 06-06-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Morf
More awkward that watching "Dancing the the Stars" with your mother?
My excuse for that is that there was nothing else to do in the house and I had nowhere to go.
Old 06-08-05, 09:30 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I know that the judges vote is 50% but why won't they show us the results of the tv-audience vote?

I'm not upset that the couple that got kicked out got kicked out, but I am upset that they hype this audience participation and then do not show a darn thing!!!!!

Oh well, O'Hurley is still in it, so I'll keep watching.

Spoiler:
By the way, Trista "Attention Whore" Sutter and the Skinny HHH guy are gone.
Old 06-09-05, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm enjoying this show even with the cheese factor. Watching Evander dance is interesting. I was asking myself "Kelly who?" I like Rachel Hunter and the "Seinfeld Guy."
Old 06-09-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't reveal the TV vote too. I hope Kelly Monaco goes on to win the whole thing, that would be a slap to the faces of the judges.
Old 06-09-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 06-09-05, 03:49 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
The gist of the judging as I take it is this:

From the total from the judges the couples are ranked 1 (low)-6 (high).

From the number of votes/calls, the couples are ranked 1 (low)-6 (high).

Those scores are added together and the lowest number is eliminated from the competition. In case of a tie, the one with the lowest audience vote is eliminated. For some odd reason, the audience votes numbers (like on American Idol) are not released to the public.

So it looks folks are sick of Trista and didn't vote for her so she's gone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.