Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Considering the best DVR device - suggestions?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Considering the best DVR device - suggestions?

Old 05-31-05, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a TIVO but anything you get will be tons better than a vcr! You will wonder how you survived without it!
Old 06-01-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
My understanding of the previous "Commercial Advance" was that it was automatic (when turned on).
That's exactly how it works, and it works pretty well, though it sometimes gets fooled and either skips at the wrong time or comes back too soon. Roughly 90% of the time, it works great. But I wouldn't pay a whole lot extra for the feature over having to push a button for a 30-second skip.

I love my ReplayTVs, and I would recommend them wholeheartedly. I've not had a TiVO, though, so I can't really compare.
Old 06-01-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge
Stay away from the Scientific Atlanta 8300/8000 If you ever had a TiVo or ReplayTV! I had a ReplayTV and boy, what a letdown having the box from my cable company. It is good basic functionality without a lot of bells or whistles. I wouldn't keep it if it weren't a HD Recording box! When Replay comes out with one low in price, I am so there.

That is what I referred to before - HD is the only reason I have one (in addtion to my Replays) because they otherwise suck. Can't wait until the Comcast/TiVo partnership starts up.
Old 06-02-05, 11:52 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've a Cablevision DVR now and it sucks. The TWC version was much better. My problem is that both my cable modem (+wireless router) and phone connection (VOIP next to router) are in another room. Guess my only option would be to purchase a wireless USB adaptor?
Old 06-02-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Does the Cablevision one require a phone line? My TWC one only requires the cable from the wall, which I did have installed because the existing outlet was on the wrong side of the room. I wouldn't think a wireless hookup would work real well. How did you have the TWC hooked up?
Old 06-02-05, 01:00 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Does the Cablevision one require a phone line? My TWC one only requires the cable from the wall, which I did have installed because the existing outlet was on the wrong side of the room. I wouldn't think a wireless hookup would work real well. How did you have the TWC hooked up?
Both Cablevision and TWC only require the cable (signal), no phone line needed.

Wireless doesn't work with CV or TWC; I think you've to use Tivo or Replay... I am considering switching because CV DVD is so crappy (I loved my TWC one)
Old 06-02-05, 10:14 PM

I've got three ReplayTV's (1 showstopper and 2 manually upgraded 5040's). If you plan on pulling the shows off onto your PC and then recording to DVD, ReplayTV and DVArchive make this so simple. Plus if you can find the 50xx series you still get commercial advance and you can do internet video sharing through www.poopli.com.

Myself and most of my friends ended up going with replaytv and we all love it. But I have to admit that Tivo has a nicer GUI and is easier for those technically challenged. I ended up buying my parents a Tivo and they love it.

I think Tivo or ReplayTV, you'll be happy with either choice. But if you want to pull shows to DVD, I would say that puts replayTV one-up on Tivo because of how easy it is to do.
Old 06-03-05, 04:54 PM

Got to agree with "breaux124". I'm biased since I have 4 ReplayTV's all networked (2 wired and 2 wireless). I also use DVArchive to pull the shows off onto my PC, edit out the commercials and then burn to DVD.
Also like to dump shows onto my Palm Tungsten T3 so I've got something to watch when I'm waiting in the Doctor's office like I was today.
Old 06-03-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
2 tuners two tape two channels at once, or tape one and watch another...
Even though the OP isn't interested in going to DirecTiVo, I'd like to point out for anyone else interested that you can also record two channels at once and watch something else pre-recorded. It's only if you're watching live TV that you can only record one other channel.
Old 06-04-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Motorola HD DVR from Cox (with software apparently written by Pioneer) and I had a Tivo before that (before I got my HDTV) and I have to say, unless you plan on using some of the extras that you get with Tivo or Replay (view shows on the computer, music and photos etc) then if you cable company has decent DVRs go with that. My DVR is costing me less than Tivo was, can record two shows at once, and can do High Definition. I never used the music and photos feature or tivo and since I have a Mac, Tivo to go was worthless to me. On the plus side, I was able to sell my Tivo to my brother to help recoup some of the money spent on the HDTV
Either way though, I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever DVR you end up getting. It really is something that is very very handy.
Old 06-05-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How many years have you been using your DVR? I'm thinking that the $299 lifetime subscription deal is the way to go but only if the device lasts more than 2 years. Both TiVo and ReplayTV offer the same price for a lifetime subscription. It would only make sense for the companies to make their machines to break down after 2 years so that we have to either invest in a new one or shell out $$$ for a fix.

so those that own a DVR, how long has it been working for you without putting down any more $$ than the original purchase price?
Old 06-05-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I've had one Replay (2000) since December 2001. I've had the other (4508) since March 2003. Both with lifetime subs and both still working fine.
Old 06-09-05, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GREAT NEWS!

Thanks to all who helped with responses! I just purchased and received my first DVR on Ebay. It came down to affordability. I have a 40hr S2 TiVo with lifetime subscription.

I spent last night setting it up. I went through the guided setup and I programmed some shows to record.

The guy I purchased it from included a wireless USB network adaptor. I tried getting it to work with my Verizon Westell DSL router but its not getting a signal.

I tried looking up the settings that my laptop uses for the wireless connection and entering that in on the TiVo. No luck. What should I be doing that I'm not?

any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS! (I am still stalking auctions for a Replay 5000 series if it is the right price!)