DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   "Back to Norm" (Norm MacDonald Sketch Show) Pilot 5/29 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/424667-back-norm-norm-macdonald-sketch-show-pilot-5-29-a.html)

RyoHazuki 05-29-05 07:59 PM

"Back to Norm" (Norm MacDonald Sketch Show) Pilot 5/29

Norm Macdonald is pretty funny but he's had some bad luck with TV and Comedy Central is desperatley trying to fill the Chappelle gap. Its on at 10:30 tonight.

Jeraden 05-29-05 08:46 PM

thx for the info, will definitely check it out!

Deftones 05-29-05 08:52 PM

Had no idea this was on either. Thanks for the heads up! :up:

Jeraden 05-29-05 10:46 PM

I love Norm, but that was pretty bad!

TheMadMonk 05-29-05 10:47 PM

Yeah, not very good. I'll give it another shot, though.

TheKing 05-30-05 12:58 AM

I don't think it's getting another shot. I don't think it was picked up as a show, as they've been advertising this as a "Special" instead of it being a series.

My guess is that with the Chappelle situation, they're giving this show a second chance at life. Should it do well enough in the ratings, maybe then they'd give it a series order. It does seem like they're going to be playing it quite a bit this week, so who knows?

It was better than SNL has been in a long time ;)

Charlie Goose 05-30-05 06:39 AM

Didn't even know this was on. :(
I'll have to catch it when they rerun it 83 times.

MrBob 05-30-05 09:30 AM

I wish they would show his original show, that was a good show.

kvrdave 05-30-05 12:18 PM

Sketch comedy isn't Norm's strength. The Norm Show was great. Give me something like that again.

Shady12 05-30-05 02:49 PM

Interesting..will check it out..Liked his sitcom.

Deftones 05-30-05 02:50 PM

It was ok. The threesome sketch was sort of funny.

Chaza 05-30-05 07:47 PM

I liked it, was pretty good for a first show, too bad CC probably hasn't/won't pick up the show though.

das Monkey 05-30-05 09:14 PM

It wasn't bad, but certainly not great either. He had a few good jokes, but stretching them out into entire sketches really didn't work too well.

das

Bill Needle 05-31-05 01:10 AM

I can definitely give it a thumbs up overall. :thumbsup:

Oddly, they led with probably the weakest sketch which included Rob Schneider. The rest was pretty good.

Norm's stand-up is usually pretty good. I like when he busted on his own TV track record of failed shows.

I do agree that he is better in an ensemble, where his delivery is played off others. They are rebroadcasting the "A Minute with Stan Hooper" on my HDTV network. It was also much better than most stuff on TV now. But I do agree that the original "Norm" show is still the best.

Fielding Mellish 05-31-05 12:23 PM

Bob & David should sue.

Bill Needle 05-31-05 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Bob & David should sue.

:confused:

Hubcap 05-31-05 01:48 PM

horrible show.

das Monkey 05-31-05 02:02 PM

<b>Bill</b>,

The format was very reminiscent of <i>Mr. Show</i> (with Bob & David) without the wacky continuity or the funny.

das

Fielding Mellish 05-31-05 02:11 PM

Actually, das, I was specifically referring to the burn-ward/abusive husband sketch towards the end of the show.

It was really, REALLY reminiscent of the classic "Titanica" sketch on Mr. Show.

Bill Needle 05-31-05 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Actually, das, I was specifically referring to the burn-ward/abusive husband sketch towards the end of the show.

It was really, REALLY reminiscent of the classic "Titanica" sketch on Mr. Show.

I thought of that immediately as well, but it was different enough for me to get a laugh.

And das, I thought the show format was a nearly exact ripoff of the Chappelle Show. But I don't really care, as long as it's funny.

DJLinus 05-31-05 08:19 PM

Not good overall. I liked the films of him as a "child" the best. For some reason, I thought that those were really funny.

0rac 06-16-05 09:50 PM

It felt like I was watching on of this shows that I never would see again until about 10 years from now when others start to see how funny Norm is and people will be trading boots of this special.