Reload this Page >

HBO's Empire Falls

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HBO's Empire Falls

Old 05-29-05, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HBO's Empire Falls

Anyone check out part I of Empire Falls on HBO tonight? Very well done....and it's nice to see Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman on screen again in the same film....

http://www.hbo.com/films/empirefalls...eat_main_title
Old 05-29-05, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It kind of reminds me of Robert Altman's "Short Cuts". Slice of life with a subtle underlying plots. The characters are more important than the story.

That is not always a good thing ;-P

I enjoyed it and will watch part 2
Old 05-29-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't want to be a wet blanket here...but I was seriously disappointed. It struck me as bloated and melodramatic. Kind of sickeningly sweet in a way, too.

Good performances all around, though. I guess my problem was mainly with the story. Very Altmanesque...and it could have benefitted from some of his cynicism.
Old 05-29-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Part 2 was much better. With the background of the first part, the story was allowed to take off.

What was with all the raves about Paul Newman's performance? He was comic relief at best. He did not have a single dramatic scene nor did his character serve to move the plot. He simply could have been left out. Helen Hunt would be my pick for top performer.

The ending was way too cloying without any of the genuine emotion they attempted to build during the 3 1/2 hours. The world is allowed to spin again and all that is wrong in the Empire Falls is made right once more ... *YAWN*

Last edited by Ayre; 05-30-05 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-29-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Manipulative schlock. Performances were fine, although only Ed Harris had anything to do. Everyone else was just filler.
Old 05-29-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Manipulative schlock. Performances were fine, although only Ed Harris had anything to do. Everyone else was just filler.
is that the fault of the film...or the book? I think it was definately an oprah worthy novel, so the melodrama was expected.....having read the book I'm quite pleased with the adaptation to the small screen.
Old 05-30-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Manipulative schlock.

I was trying to be nice about not liking it...but...you just came out and said it. Nice.
Old 05-30-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched about half of the first part, but I got really bored. Really, the only reason I wanted to watch was to see Phillip Seymore Hoffman. When does he enter into the story? Is his performance good?
Old 05-30-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely nothing compared to Angels In America, but it was pretty good.

Ed Harris was good, as usual.
Old 05-30-05, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

I will go against the tide here. I really liked it. A lot.

From past reading of DVDtalk TV threads (like Carnivale), I even thought at some point while watching it, a lot of people will not like it because of the pacing, lack of action, etc.

What it did have IMO was:

1. Great imagery. My family is from Maine and they captured it, the good and the bad. In hi-def, this was just stunning to view.
2. Characters including the town. A good study of the people. I found the characters believable and also representative of some Maine people I know.
3. Acting. The cast is incredible and happens to have a good number of actors I enjoy watching, just to see their face and how they do. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ed Harris, Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Aidin Quinn, Helen Hunt, and Robin Wright Penn. I was not disappointed in the performances.

I do agree the ending was a bit of a let down, but I enjoyed the whole experience anyway.