Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it a mistake to watch Twin Peaks when Season 2 is not available?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-26-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,062 Likes on 643 Posts

I was recently Netflixing most of David Lynch stuff and came to Twin Peaks. I have read that it is one of the best shows ever made for TV. I really have no background on it except that I know that it is quirky.

I was a freshman in college when it first came out and my Saturday nights were full of drinking instead of TV. I do remember my parents being addicted to the show (which was a rare thing).

I was going to start watching Season 1 and then Fire Walk With Me I guess but I am disappointed that Season 2 is not available and from what I understand...no news of it on the horizon.

So...for those of you who are familiar with the show...should I begin or wait until Season 2 is available? Will it affect my enjoyment or understanding of the series with no Season 2?
Old 05-26-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seek out the pilot disc first, which is not part of the season 1 set. It's available as a Region 0 import, which is playable on US machines.
Old 05-26-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
It's been so long since I watched Twin Peaks that I can't remember. Season 2 came out in Spain. Not a great transfer, I heard, but the Spain set is all of Twin Peaks (pilot, season 1 and 2).
Old 05-26-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I was recently Netflixing most of David Lynch stuff and came to Twin Peaks. I have read that it is one of the best shows ever made for TV. I really have no background on it except that I know that it is quirky.

I was a freshman in college when it first came out and my Saturday nights were full of drinking instead of TV. I do remember my parents being addicted to the show (which was a rare thing).

I was going to start watching Season 1 and then Fire Walk With Me I guess but I am disappointed that Season 2 is not available and from what I understand...no news of it on the horizon.

So...for those of you who are familiar with the show...should I begin or wait until Season 2 is available? Will it affect my enjoyment or understanding of the series with no Season 2?
You have to watch Season 2 before watching Fire Walk With Me. Season 1 ends with cliffhangers and one of them is the answer to who killed Laura Palmer. Fire Walk With Me assumes you've seen Season 2 and gives information about who Laura's killer is.
Old 05-27-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you have already decided that you want to watch the show......I suggest waiting. There is no need to torture yourself with waiting for season 2 to come out when it could be another year or more. Some people have been waiting many years already. Whatever you do, don't watch Fire Walk With Me until AFTER seeing season 2.
Old 05-27-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
It's been so long since I watched Twin Peaks that I can't remember. Season 2 came out in Spain. Not a great transfer, I heard, but the Spain set is all of Twin Peaks (pilot, season 1 and 2).
Not only did the Spain set suck, but it's already been out of print for a while and is rather hard to find.
Old 05-27-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Seek out the pilot disc first, which is not part of the season 1 set. It's available as a Region 0 import, which is playable on US machines.
or if you can play Region 2, get the UK set as it includes the pilot.

or wait and see if Paramount releases the pilot here in R1...there have been hints that they plan to do so. I would not be surprised if they rerelease season 1 with the pilot, or release the whole show in one package, or anything to make us rebuy their product.
Old 05-27-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
You need to track down the pilot first and watch that (it's available on a region-free DVD). Then you can watch season one.

DON'T...I repeat...DON'T watch Fire Walk With Me until you've seen Season 2...not only won't you be able to make heads or tails of it (most who HAVE seen Season 2 can't either, by the way), but it ruins many plot points...including who killed Laura Palmer.
Old 05-28-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You need to track down the pilot first and watch that (it's available on a region-free DVD). Then you can watch season one.

DON'T...I repeat...DON'T watch Fire Walk With Me until you've seen Season 2...not only won't you be able to make heads or tails of it (most who HAVE seen Season 2 can't either, by the way), but it ruins many plot points...including who killed Laura Palmer.
Spoiler:
Which frankly, in and of itself, is a disappointment itself
Old 05-28-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,062 Likes on 643 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions. I went ahead & sent back the two discs I had gotten in on Season 1 without watching them. I didn't realize the pilot wasn't included in season one???

I guess I will wait for the pilot & season 2 to be released. I thought this show had a pretty large cult following? Why no love on dvd?
Old 05-29-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I will wait for the pilot & season 2 to be released. I thought this show had a pretty large cult following? Why no love on dvd?
the short answer: studio greed.

if you search for Twin Peaks you should turn up pages of results for the the long answer.
Old 05-29-05, 04:25 AM

The second season used to be on video, but I believe that's out of print now too.

I watched the first season last year, and then had to wait a whole year to see the second season. It didn't ruin the show at all for me, but it did leave me with a lot of frustration and desire to see what happened next. But yeah, it's probably the best TV show I've ever seen.

And I LOVE that people here are saying to not see the movie until you watch both seasons. It's such an important thing to remember with this show.
Old 06-08-05, 01:36 AM

I was frustrated the first time I watched it, but it gave me a chance to rewatch the whole season. It definitely does leave you hanging.

And one of those E! countdown shows spoils it too, so avoid that crap.
Old 06-08-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to the most recent information, Paramount now has the rights back from Republic and are planning a new season 1 set (including the pilot) followed by the second season.
Old 06-10-05, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by aintnosin
According to the most recent information, Paramount now has the rights back from Republic and are planning a new season 1 set (including the pilot) followed by the second season.
Hi there,

I'm a first poster on this forum, browsing for Season 2 DVD's.
I've just watched the first season (just ejected the last DVD ), and I watched this one for the 3th time. My girlfriend is Twin Peaks virgin at the moment.

I must fully agree NOT to watch Fire, walk with me BEFORE watching the whole series (and I suggest people to see the serie as much as possible)

However: what is the serious change that the 2nd season CD-set will be out? Late 2005, or not? Because I hear a lot of noise here.

Greetings from Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Diederik && Esther (kinda TP-junkies )