Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost ** Season Finale** "Exodus II & III" (05/25/05)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost ** Season Finale** "Exodus II & III" (05/25/05)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 08:06 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I'm TiVoing it right, I'll see if its been on yet.
Old 05-26-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone freeze frame the black smoke from the "monster", it looks like there are faces in there...or is it just me...
Old 05-26-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGodfather
Questions answered:

1. What will Claire name the baby? -Aaron
2. Who, if anyone, attacked Claire? -Rousseau
3. How did Rousseau get those claw marks on her arm? -Claire defending herself
4. Is there more to the hatch than meets the eye (size wise)? -Yes, much more
5. Are there really "Others"? -Seems to be - and they have boats
6. Who, or what, do the "Others" want? -Walt
7. What will become of the raft? -Burned at sea
8. Will they ever get the hatch open? -Yes
9. Will Hurley ever see the numbers on the hatch? -Yes
10. What was the black smoke? -A lone fire on a beach
11. Will Charlie find the heroin? -Yes
12. What's with Jin's watch? -He is to give it to Mr. Paik
13. Will Michael finally connect with Walt? -Yes

If anyone else can think of any more be my guest.

You people who want more answers are WAY too impatient, IMO. It's like "Yea that was the best food I ever ate, but nobody blew me while I was eating so I thought overall it sucked".
14. What brand of handheld video game does Walt own? Nintendo Gameboy
15. How did Locke get on the plane if he couldn't walk? people carried him
16. Can Artz get Kate to take her shirt off? yes
17. Is the island big? yes
18. What's in the hatch? a broken ladder leading to something
19. Will Jack get back to trusting Locke? not this season
20. What's the achilles heel of Michael's raft? it's rudder
21. Is Hurley fat enough that airlines would make him buy 2 tickets? yes
22. Will Sawyer read the notes people put in the bottle? yes

I'm sorry, but most of the 'answers' thrown out in this finale sucked. It'd be like if I stopped by a friend's and sitting in a chair in his living room drinking a cup of tea is a 300 lb. fur covered animal with 10 eyes, 4 arms, a reptilian tail and giant wings. I ask my friend what in the hell it is and where it came from. His only answer is, 'oh, I named it Ted'. Wouldn't explain much.
Old 05-26-05, 08:18 AM

The Secret Scene from Good Morning America:

Spoiler:
The scene opens with Danielle eating a raw egg with Charlie and Claire talking back in the distance.

Charlie calls Danielle a "nutter" and how he doesn't trust her.

Claire then tells Charlie that she's always thought that the people who tried to take her and her baby would come back to get her.

Then it dawns on Charlie and then asks Claire if that is why she hasn't named the baby yet... for fear of losing it and becoming that attached.

She looks at him, then the baby and kisses her child.

That's it. It was all of about 2-3 minutes.
Old 05-26-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dremo
Does anyone else getting the feeling that the "pirates" is the "others" that Rousseua is always talking about??

D.
They would have to be. That is why they returned claire..when she was preggo..that is why they didnt take the baby aaron at the black smoke..the boy they wanted was walt.
Old 05-26-05, 08:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Great post, maxfisher.

It was a good finale. But it would have been better if it at least attempted to answer some of the central questions raised in Season 1 (see "Housewives, Desperate").

The pre-credit sequence was a doozy. I also liked Ardzt's meta-discussion about the island's "extras".
Old 05-26-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B.A.

I don't have any doubt he is alive either - I was just being sarcastic about his "precarious" position.
In the face of predictable television, sarcasm is our only defense.

maxfisher,

das
Old 05-26-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I posted this earlier but i'm guessing it's too far back for people to remember.

the outside of the hatch does not make sense when compared to what they showed us inside. it's big and round on the outside but when they opened it, there was only a straight tube going down.

explainations/conjectures anyone?
Old 05-26-05, 08:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Drunken set designer?
Old 05-26-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well one thing was quite predictible about the finale. Two dozen whiners in this thead complaining about the show, yet still watch. Big shocker revealed!

I loved every minute of it. They threw some answers our way and threw us more questions. Was it really a big shocker that they didn't reveal what was in the hatch? Come on. If there was any show/plotline destined for a cliffhanger it is this one.

I watched at my parents house and was dying to rewind the Arst "bit," but alas, no DVR box.

So those that hate/starting to hate the show - do you have so much invested now that you can't stop watching? I, for one, will be front and center in the fall for the season premier.

I think the writers are doing a phenominal job balancing not only island action but backstories as well. Add to that the pressure they are feeling from the network to grind the show to a halt to milk it for all it is worth, and you get a fine line. I think they are balancing everything perfectly. Kudos to them.
Old 05-26-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the Soccer team in the airport that had the "numbers" on their jerseys while Hurley ran by.
Old 05-26-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
A shaft?! That's it? That's the cliffhanger? This is what people will be talking about all summer?

Pretty disappointing finale if you ask me.
Old 05-26-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What backstories are really left for next season? They have brought us up to the point where all of the main characters have boarded the plane and why they where in Austrailia. Tail section survivors?
Old 05-26-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Pirates = Others was also what I immediately thought of, since they wanted 'the child' and Rousseau said they wanted 'the child,' meaning Walt, not the baby.
Old 05-26-05, 08:59 AM

Here's a paragraph from the 4/15/05 Lost article in EW:

Questions Must Be Answered

"The Model is "Twin Peaks", says Cuse. "It has become a strong lesson for us in not postulating new mysteries without answering old ones". Which means, according to producers, that most of their Big Questions - What's in the hatch? What is the monster? What do Hurley's lotto numbers mean? - have solutions. But how do they know when to disclose them? "Right now, it's just our gut," says Lindelof. "We have ended up in a place where we would rather reveal too much than not enough." Look for the season finale to bring some long-awaited clarifications - and perhaps a new dilemma. "Depending on the reaction, the backlash could be 'I wish you hadn't told me that!' Then we'll have to adjust again," says Lindelof.
Seems like the producers got scared of a backlash from revealing too much, so they instead revealed nothing. So now they have a backlash from viewers who wanted at least ONE answer to a major question. It's funny that they're using Twin Peaks as a reference, as Twin Peaks was cancelled after it's second season because people were tired of the unsolved mysteries (as someone mentioned on the preceeding page).

I've been a big fan of the show, but I'm really let down by the finale. I'm seriously thinking about skipping next season, and possibly catching it when the season 2 DVD set comes out if I hear it gets better.
Old 05-26-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

I did love the teacher's comments at the beginning to Hurley (about the clique and Hurley not losing weight) - made him sound like a geek-fan of the show.
Old 05-26-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
You people who want more answers are WAY too impatient, IMO. It's like "Yea that was the best food I ever ate, but nobody blew me while I was eating so I thought overall it sucked".

My feelings as well. I think some of you people won't be happy unless the TV starts shooting out dollar bills at you while answering every question you've ever had. Give me a break.
Old 05-26-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Sorry, but when a finale is built up as "something that will be talked about all summer," and all you get is 'the shaft' , I think disappointment is a valid reaction.
Old 05-26-05, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by darthlurker
I enjoyed the Soccer team in the airport that had the "numbers" on their jerseys while Hurley ran by.
I didn't notice that.

... and something I read on TVTOme that I didn't pick up last week:

Originally Posted by TVTome
When Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) and Michael (Harold Perrineau Jr.) are repairing the raft, Michael angrily says to Jin, "No, no, no. This one goes there, that one goes there" which is the exact same thing Han Solo (Harrison Ford) told Chewbacca in Stars Wars: The Empire Strikes Back as they repaired the 'Millenium Falcon'.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-26-05 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-26-05, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I didn't notice that.

... and something I read on TVTOme that I didn't pick up last week:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTome
When Jin (Daniel Dae Kim) and Michael (Harold Perrineau Jr.) are repairing the raft, Michael angrily says to Jin, "No, no, no. This one goes there, that one goes there" which is the exact same thing Han Solo (Harrison Ford) told Chewbacca in Stars Wars: The Empire Strikes Back as they repaired the 'Millenium Falcon'.

Which made it even funnier when Sawyer called the two of them Han and Chewy while on the raft.
Old 05-26-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Red Dog

Sorry, but when a finale is built up as "something that will be talked about all summer," and all you get is 'the shaft' , I think disappointment is a valid reaction.
Yep. Nobody's demanding everything be revealed, but you have to give us something. You can't keep stringing us along. Otherwise, we'll end up in Season 9 wondering if this is the season Matthew Fox finally leaves the show to start his directing career and if we finally get to find out what's really inside that hatch.

I'm not overly down on the show. They can certainly recover with a strong opening to next season, but this season finale was a cheat. They manipulated the viewers and cheated them out of some resolutions just to get them to come back next season. If your show is truly good, you don't need crap like that. Honestly, had they revealed more, would anyone here not come back? Of course not. We'd all be talking about what we saw and looking forward to more.

I really enjoy this show, but they're walking a very thin line with the viewers. They've lost some momentum with this season finale, and they need to come strong with the season premiere or risk losing even more. I'll spend the summer hoping they get it right.

das
Old 05-26-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Yep. Nobody's demanding everything be revealed, but you have to give us something.

If you step back with a steely and cynical eye, there is a feeling that looking back over the course of the season absolutely nothing about the island has been resolved - only more questions.

All we really have is character backstories, and while those are thoroughly entertaining in their own right, the show also built on the mystery of all of the unexplained things on the island.

Don't get wrong: I'm not whining. I love the show. I have really enjoyed the season, and all the backstory elements, but the underlying mystery of the island needed some kind of substantial answer - at least one - tossed out to noodle about over the summer. The Walt-napping was a good, standard-issue cliffhanger, and I don't have a problem with that. That sets up next season nicely.

But as a sendoff for the summer, a ladder going down a shaft was a little disappointing.

And, yes, I'm looking forward to the start of next season.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-26-05 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-26-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Please guys... you cannot compare Lost to Desperate Housewives when it comes to resolving the plotlines.

Lost is about people stranded on an island. By nature, we're limited in characters in plotlines. They're limited in what they can do. If you answer "why's the island so weird?" then you don't have a show anymore. All you'd have is people sitting in the sand waiting for a boat to pass by. Yawn.

Desperate Housewives can close up mysteries because they can always add new ones. They can always be a new neighbor, someone's job can change, you can always introduce new characters and situations.

Lost doesn't have that luxury. They're on a freakin' island. They run the risk of Gilligan's Island syndrome where other people can come and go from the island but the castaways can't. If the mystery was solved, the show might as well be cancelled.

It's an unfair comparison between the two shows.

Last edited by GuessWho; 05-26-05 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-26-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
In the face of predictable television, sarcasm is our only defense.
It's twue, it's twue!

Nice post, max.
Old 05-26-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
so where is mozambique?

right here:

right near one of the vile vortices. further creedence to that theory.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.