Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost ** Season Finale** "Exodus II & III" (05/25/05)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost ** Season Finale** "Exodus II & III" (05/25/05)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
now yes, if this ends up like twin peaks, with no answered questions season after season, i'll be pissed.
i've never understood when people make this comment. twin peaks only lasted 2 seasons. the main mystery was solved half way through season 2, which because season 1 was only 8 episodes long, was actually within less episodes than LOST has already made. Yet, I hear/read this comment a lot. Twin Peaks was cancelled before it was meant to end, so yes, there are a lot of still unanswered questions......but people talk about Twin Peaks like it went on for years and years and years without answering questions which is REALLY not the case. there were only 29/30 episodes total. it was on the air for a year and a half. other people in the tv industry makes these sort of comments as well and it just baffles me. JMS even made a comment along the same lines on one of the B5 featurettes...something about how he didn't want any of the storylines on B5 to turn into a Twin Peaks sort of situation where they go on for long amounts of time without being answered...which makes me wonder if he has even SEEN Twin Peaks. Many (if not most) storylines on B5 took longer to solve than Twin Peaks had episodes.
Old 05-29-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ben12
The complaints about "wanting answers" remind me of the talk surrounding Twin Peaks. I'd enjoy Lost forever even if nothing was ever revealed. For me, it's about seeing the characters interact (like in Twin Peaks) and learning about their past. The secrets of the island are tertiary.
I agree. I enjoy this show so much because I like learning about the characters. If you are watching this show just for the island mystery, you are going to get bored very quickly.......and you probably have already.
Old 05-29-05, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I think it's people that bitch on the internet about people bitching on the internet that "need to get out more," but that's just me.
what about people who bitch about the people bitching about the people who bitch on the internet?
Old 05-29-05, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madara
Oh and way too much X-files ripping here. Far as I concerned 1-5 all way thru movie were perfect. It was later half of X-files life where stream of answers should have be constant taking in new direction. I think later seasons plus lame answer to what happened to mulder's sister at end of season 6 is fogging people memories too much.
that was actually the middle of season 7, not the end of season 6, but yes that probably is the case....i give the later seasons of the x-files way more credit than most people do (i think season 6 was still a very solid, and the show got interesting again with season 8.....) but the events around the middle of season 7 and the ridiculous season finale (which was a boring crappy rehash of things we already knew) were even too much nonsense for me to handle....
on the other hand, i always enjoyed that things were never really solved or ever fully revealed on the x-files. i always thought it worked for that show as the viewers had the same confusion and frustration that the characters did of knowing parts of the whole but never being able to connect ALL the dots.....but that's probably just me.
Old 05-29-05, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
What? Didn't you think they would be rescued by Laura Palmer's killer so they could rename the show "Found" for next season? During the rescue Laura's killer would tell the survivors who shot J.R. and the Smoking Man, who was hiding out in the hatch he built, would get eaten by a mapinguari, who would later shit out Mulder's sister. The mapinguari, while shitting, would reveal it was he, not Lee Harvey Oswald, who shot JFK. Then nanobots would fly up it's ass and explode in a fiery shitstorm where Jennifer Garner would burn to death. Upon seeing this, ninjas would repel down from the trees and tell everyone they brought the pirates to the island because they were super pissed and wanted to kick the crap out of them. Then they pissed on the fire and Hurley lost 200 lbs. In next season's premier of "Found" all the survivors die and they rename it "X-Peaks- Fight The Fire, Walk With The Future". Then maybe they could tell me what the hell happened to the Russian that Paulie Walnuts and Chris lost in the snowy woods.

that's some funny stuff.

i really don't understand all this complaining either......
season finales almost always provide cliffhangers........create more questions than offer answers.....at least in the shows i watch.
Sure DH provided some answers, but very very little of it was anything new......most of that information had already been provided throughout the entire season, if you had been connecting the dots......I can't think of much of anything in that finale that was revealed that I hadn't already figured out or guessed at.
so, IMO, the Lost season finale was MUCH more interesting and satisfying.

Last edited by garmonbozia; 05-29-05 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-29-05, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by HN
Michael Corvin (or whomever else has the aired premiere episode), does it show the guy getting sucked into the turbine before it explodes?

I'll check it out later.
Old 05-29-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
[QUOTE=Michael Corvin]
as far as:

- if that was directed at me. Ahh the troll way of life...
Old 05-29-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HN
Michael Corvin (or whomever else has the aired premiere episode), does it show the guy getting sucked into the turbine before it explodes?
There was a guy sucked into a turbine, yes, but it was another turbine. I've been watching that scene from the first episode over and over, and I can not believe that no one saw these "things" until now.

Do you think that someone is intentionally bringing these to our attention?
Old 05-29-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Michael, no, I wasn't directing my comments to you.
All's good.

achau, cool. I hadn't had a chance yet to look but that is what I thought. A couple of them blew up, because they are from different camera angles from my recollection.
Old 05-29-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah. First the guy gets sucked in, which explodes one, then those things sweep over another - causing it to blow up.

Kinda makes you wonder how many other times those things were in scenes and we never noticed them.
Old 05-29-05, 06:28 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Look after reading all 21 pages, it's very clear that the ratio is roughly

60% dissatified with finale, wanted more answers
40% relatively happy

if anything, the 60% is higher

The producers and writers of the show need to take note if this represents what most people thought
Old 05-29-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From Teevee.org

Lost Explained!
by Chris Rywalt - May 27, 2005

Today, while driving — driving and showering always bring out the most thoughtful in me — I finally unravelled what’s going on in everyone’s favorite conundrum, Lost.

All of the characters in Lost are in Zork. The whole show is one giant text adventure game.

Think about it.

LOST> take gun

You take the gun.

LOST> n

You head north into the jungle, soon emerging into a small clearing. There is something gleaming under the dirt.

LOST> dig

What do you want to dig?

LOST> dig dirt

What do you want to dig the dirt with?

LOST> dig dirt with plane-scrap shovel

You dig in the dirt. Several sweaty minutes later, you reveal a steel hatch.

LOST> open hatch

The hatch cannot be opened from this side.

LOST> use dynamite

There is no dynamite here.

LOST> n

You are lost in the jungle in a maze of twisty little paths, all alike.

LOST> e

LOST> n

Locke is here.
Locke walks off to the west.

LOST> follow locke

You follow Locke.
Locke walks off to the north.

LOST> follow locke

You follow Locke.
Locke walks off to the north.

LOST> follow locke

You follow Locke.
You emerge from the jungle and see ahead of you a huge sailing ship overgrown with vines. There is a hole in its underside large enough for a person to walk through.
Locke is here.
Hurley is here.
Kate is here. Kate is HOT.
Arzt is here.
An open crate of sweating dynamite is here.

LOST> look kate

Kate is just standing there being HOT.

LOST> look crate

Inside the wooden crate you see many sticks of dynamite, encrusted with nitroglycerin, packed in straw.
Arzt says, "Do you know what happens to dynamite in tropical weather? It sweats nitroglycerin. Nitroglycerin is the most unstable chemical known to man."
Suddenly, Arzt explodes.

LOST> take arzt

The little pieces aren't big enough.

LOST> take dynamite

The crate is too big.

LOST> take stick

You take a stick of dynamite. It feels unstable.

LOST> i

You are carrying:
* a plane-scrap shovel
* a backpack
* an empty water bottle
* no tea
* a small metal toy plane
* a gun
* some Arzt on your neck
* an unstable stick of dynamite

LOST> give kate plane

"This is important to me, but I don't need it yet," Kate says, handing the plane back to you.
You take the small metal plane of importance to Kate.

LOST> l stick

The dynamite is getting very unstable. You'd better hurry.
Locke says, "I'm going back to the hatch."
Locke walks off to the west.

LOST> follow locke

You follow Locke back to the hatch.

LOST> drop dynamite

You drop the dynamite. It looks very unstable! You'd better run!

LOST> run

Which way?

LOST> run s

You run south.
You are on the beach.
Locke is here.
That dim bulb Shannon is here.
You hear a huge explosion from the north.

LOST> n

You head north into the jungle, soon emerging into a small clearing. There is a hatch here.
The hatch is open.

LOST> l hatch

You see a rusty, ancient ladder going down into the darkness. After several rungs, the ladder is broken, and the rest of the shaft goes down as far as you can see.

LOST> q

You can't quit.

LOST> die

I don't know the word "die".

LOST> kill self

What do you want to kill the self with?

LOST> kill self with gun

You raise the weapon to your head, close your eyes tightly, and begin to squeeze the trigger. Suddenly, Hurley jumps out of hiding and pulls the barrel away from your temple. "Dude, what are you doing?" he shouts.

LOST>
Old 05-29-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Look after reading all 21 pages, it's very clear that the ratio is roughly

60% dissatified with finale, wanted more answers
40% relatively happy

if anything, the 60% is higher

The producers and writers of the show need to take note if this represents what most people thought
No....they don't. They are doing fine.
Old 05-29-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I finally watched the finale and finally waded through this entire thread. Whew! The reason I only saw the finale last night was because my Tivo suddenly decided not to record it on Wednesday since it "already aired", even though it was in my To-Do list the day beforehand. Thank goodness ABC re-airedit or I would have been seriously made at my Tivo. Bad Tivo!

Anyway, I thought the finale was excellent. I didn't expect them to answer lots of things but I felt satisfied and pulled even more into the story.

Something I noticed that I have not seen mentioned here is that it is interesting how so many of the characters experienced humiliation before boarding the plane: Hurley must purchase 2 seats; Locke is carried on board; Sayid is mistaken for a terrorist; Sun is mocked by people who do not know she speaks English; Walt feels unwanted by his Dad; Kate is in custody; Charlie hits rock-bottom in his addiction. It made me wonder if this is significant and if it ties into what Locke said about why the island chose them, etc.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-05, 08:09 PM
Cool New Member

Since I was one of the people using the "Twin Peaks" reference, it may need a little clarification. It's actually quite interesting to compare these two shows by reading "Why was TP canceled" from the following link:

http://www.twinpeaks.org/faqgen.htm#g3

It listed the following reasons:

1. Media overkill
2. Episodes not self-contained
3. Scheduling chaos
4. Pacing
5. Supernatural/science fiction element
6. Unconventional style

Other than 1 and 3, "Lost" seems to have other traits of "Twin Peaks". One of the problems with ABC handling TP was that

"ABC said the killer would be revealed on the show's first-season finale in May. But the confusing episode yielded no definitive answer, and ABC later said there had been a misunderstanding between the network and the producers. In July, ABC's Iger promised that 'the viewer will see the killer and know that it's the killer' in the first episode of the current season."

http://www.twinpeaks.org/archives/ar...evealed_nov_10

When the killer was finally revealed in November, it was too little too late and the ratings were already in the toilet. The irony is that Robert Iger was then the President of ABC, and now the designated CEO of Disney about to succeed Michael Eisner in September. According to the above link, the producers originally had no intention to reveal the killer, but probably caved in due to ABC's meddling.

At least ABC is smart enough not to promise viewers anything this time around, and I seemed to remember that I stopped watching TP after it became really too weird for my taste.

Don't get me wrong, I like "Lost" and hope it'll last a long time. But there are some parallels between these two shows and apparently I am not the only one who felt that way. Hopefully ABC has learned from their past mistakes.
Old 05-29-05, 10:50 PM
Banned

Some more info and pics from http://www.oceanic-air.com/seatingchart.htm

Evangeline Lilly plays Kate Austen (according to IMDB). The seating chart calls her Kate Ryan. Now, if you look at these screen caps from the site that flash up very quickly, you see her name as Katherine Dodd. An alias perhaps? Or was she previously married? Aliases seem more likely for her. We also get to see where she was jailed from her mug shot. And the Feds were after her. Also, some familiar numbers in her subject file.

Old 05-29-05, 11:03 PM

I don't blame them for stringing out the mysteries in this show. They're stuck on a desert island, it's not like they can just bring in new characters (well, more than any of the 47 on the island or The Others), or have that many things to figure out; the island isn't that big. As long as we get good character interaction, they can take a while as far as I'm concerned. As long as it isn't years and years with absolutely no payoff.

Re: Smokey thing in Guy Getting Sucked Into Turbine .gif:
I read on another board that one of the special effects guys over at The Fuselage said the smoke thing was a mistake that they forgot to edit out, and so they left it in because it would be too expensive to fix it, and that it was supposedly to show what direction the explosion went. Does anyone else know anything about this? I tried searching, but didn't come up with anything.

Either way I call bullshit on it for a few reasons:
- That's an enormous 'mistake' to leave in, and I find it impossible to believe they'd miss it.
- It just happens to look exactly like what the monster was shown to be in the final. Coincidence? I think not.
- It doesn't look to me like it's going in the same direction as the explosion.
Old 05-30-05, 02:16 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Something I noticed that I have not seen mentioned here is that it is interesting how so many of the characters experienced humiliation before boarding the plane: Hurley must purchase 2 seats; Locke is carried on board; Sayid is mistaken for a terrorist; Sun is mocked by people who do not know she speaks English; Walt feels unwanted by his Dad; Kate is in custody; Charlie hits rock-bottom in his addiction. It made me wonder if this is significant and if it ties into what Locke said about why the island chose them, etc.

Any thoughts?

you're very observant. i don't think anyone's brought that up yet and it makes a whole lot of sense
Old 05-30-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally saw it myself. Since I will have to wait for another season, I think I will not watch when they air and just watch them once I have them all.

Seemed obvious that the "others" were looking for Walt to me. Also couldn't believe the guys on the raft didn't find it odd that about 12 hours in they find a boat, and it is a tiny one. Too tiny to be out where they are, or the island wouldn't be deserted.

Anyway, nice to not have to worry about this for another 6 months or so.
Old 05-30-05, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cracksky
Some more info and pics from http://www.oceanic-air.com/seatingchart.htm

Evangeline Lilly plays Kate Austen (according to IMDB). The seating chart calls her Kate Ryan. Now, if you look at these screen caps from the site that flash up very quickly, you see her name as Katherine Dodd. An alias perhaps? Or was she previously married? Aliases seem more likely for her. We also get to see where she was jailed from her mug shot. And the Feds were after her. Also, some familiar numbers in her subject file.
When Kate was playing "I Never" with Sawyer, she said that she'd been married, but it didn't work out.
Old 05-30-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jadzia

Any thoughts?
Wow. That makes a lot of sense, especially since most of the characters' "embarassment" was saved for the finale. Very good pick-up.

LOST> take arzt

The little pieces aren't big enough.
Old 05-30-05, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watch out .. you might get eaten by a Grue
Old 05-30-05, 07:43 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

did anyone see the teaser for season 2-- pretty cool, check this out from comingsoon.net

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9827

ABC has left fans one more hint of what's to come on the second season of hit TV show Lost on Oceanic-Air.com. The site for Oceanic Flight 815 in the series has a new, hidden Flash teaser that you can now watch.

To do so, click on the link above. Then at the bottom of the site, where it says 'Travellers', type in Hurley's "lucky" numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42. Click on 'Find' which will take you to the flight's seating chart. Next, click on those numbers again in order right below the chart and the teaser will start.

ABC is moving Lost to 9:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday's in the Fall. If you'd like to discuss the show, visit this thread on the message boards.

Email Story to a Friend | Discuss on the Boards
Old 05-30-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts
Originally Posted by ruk
did anyone see the teaser for season 2-- pretty cool, check this out from comingsoon.net

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9827

ABC has left fans one more hint of what's to come on the second season of hit TV show Lost on Oceanic-Air.com. The site for Oceanic Flight 815 in the series has a new, hidden Flash teaser that you can now watch.

To do so, click on the link above. Then at the bottom of the site, where it says 'Travellers', type in Hurley's "lucky" numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42. Click on 'Find' which will take you to the flight's seating chart. Next, click on those numbers again in order right below the chart and the teaser will start.

ABC is moving Lost to 9:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday's in the Fall. If you'd like to discuss the show, visit this thread on the message boards.

Email Story to a Friend | Discuss on the Boards
That preview was pretty freaky. If you mess around with that announcement the Oceanic Airlines has cancelled operations you can find a script page. I saved it to my computer, because it is pretty hard to read.
Old 05-30-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
wow, that was cool. Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.