Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost ** Season Finale** "Exodus II & III" (05/25/05)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost ** Season Finale** "Exodus II & III" (05/25/05)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 10:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by jkingfish
Personally, I was kind of hoping it would resolve itself in many ways and that each season might jump ahead of itself several years and utilizing the flash backs to keep filling us in on things we missed in between. I mean, it would be kind of cool to walk into the next season with Walt 5 years older and a sort of civilization creeping up with the castaways and maybe a couple regulars dead and we spend the next 24 eps trying to piece all of that and more together. But now I am bordering on fanfic and that's just gross so I'll stop.
This is actually a really good idea. They wouldn't have to jump forward five years though, just a few months.
Old 05-26-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first-season finale of "Lost" turned in some big ratings for ABC Wednesday, but not big enough to overtake the crowing of a new "American Idol" on FOX.

FOX averaged a 17.1 rating/26 share in primetime to win the final night of the 2004-05 season. ABC was a strong second at 10.0/16, and the rest of the networks were left to fight for scraps. NBC was third at 6.5/10, with CBS fourth at 5.2/8. UPN, 1.3/2, and The WB, 1.0/2, barely made a dent.

Among adults 18-49, FOX scored a whopping 12.2 rating, nearly doubling ABC's 6.5. NBC was a distant third at 2.9, followed by CBS, 1.7; UPN, 0.8; and The WB, 0.5.

The first half of the "Idol" finale posted a 15.0/25 at 8 p.m. "Lost," 11.3/18, was second for ABC. A "Law & Order" repeat on NBC and "60 Minutes" on CBS tied for third at 4.5/7. UPN went with the movie "Swordfish" to finish fifth, a little ahead of a "One Tree Hill" repeat on The WB.

"Idol" built to a 19.2/28 at 9 p.m., increasing FOX's lead over ABC and "Lost," which wrapped up with a 12.3/18. NBC took over sole possession of third with a "Law & Order: Trial by Jury" rerun, 5.5/8. CBS dropped to fourth with its movie "Amber Frey: Witness for the Prosecution," 4.7/7. The fifth and sixth spots remained unchanged.

At 10 p.m., the season finale of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" shot NBC into the lead with a 9.7/15. "Alias" closed its season with a 6.5/10 for ABC, while "Amber Frey" came in at 6.3/10 for CBS.
Link
Old 05-26-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Not surprised by those ratings, but it does make me weep for what the carbon blobs prefer.
Old 05-26-05, 10:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The American Idol finale was pretty good, don't diss us carbon blobs. The ending:

Ryan Seacrest: "And the winner is..." (zoom in on broken microphone stand, end credits)
Old 05-26-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anybody else just happy the season is over?

Now we finally get six weeks of "Dancing with the Stars"

(When you first saw this preview, did anyone else expect Holyfield to say "no, but I just saved $200 on auto insurance"? I thought for sure it was a Geico add)
Old 05-26-05, 10:53 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I loved the comments by Arntz about the rest of the people on the island and the clique doing important things. At least they finally did SOMETHING to address it.

From my point of view, I'm happy because they DID move every major secret plotline forward, even if few were 100% resolved.

The monster - We don't know exactly what it is, but we have the gist of what they are dealing with now. We at least know it's not a t-rex or some other biological based entity. So 25% of this mystery is solved.

The raft - We know the fate of the journey... it's pretty much dead. This closes one major plotline and opens up at least three new ones: What do they want with Walt? Is Sawyer okay? And how will they survive in the middle of the ocean with a dead boat?

Claire's baby wanted by 'the others' - Again, a major plotline that assumedly came to its resolution last night. The 'others' trying to get her baby was a storyline that played a big role in several episodes and now it seems they wrapped it up, again, opening up the new "Walt instead" storyline.

The hatch - Hey, at least they got the damn thing open. Throughout the season the questions about the hatch have been 1) Can they get in the hatch? and 2) What's in the hatch? They solved one. They said early on they weren't going to solve everything in the finale.

As far as character background (flashback) stuff, I figured all along these answers would be slow in coming. They are going to need to fill a lot of flashback segments and will need to be careful in doling this crap out.

It seems everyone who says "They didn't resolve anything!!!!" really means "They didn't resolve the things I wanted them to!!!!" Only time will tell if we're being Chris Cartered or not.
Old 05-26-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dom56
I play Operation as a kid, and as just Locke said I alway have trouble getting out the wishbone.

BZZZT.
I loved that scene. Locke asking the surgeon if he's ever played Operation Then you see Jack's starting to get worried when he asks Locke if he likes to lpay games. Locke's going to be a cult leader next season. Jack's going to be Janet Reno.
Old 05-26-05, 11:03 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
At 10 p.m., the season finale of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" shot NBC into the lead with a 9.7/15. "Alias" closed its season with a 6.5/10 for ABC, while "Amber Frey" came in at 6.3/10 for CBS.
I wonder how many folks like us TiVo'ed one while watching the other one and then switched over to the one we TiVo'ed totally throwing off the numbers for the 10 PM hour?
Old 05-26-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by darthlurker
I enjoyed the Soccer team in the airport that had the "numbers" on their jerseys while Hurley ran by.

I remember seeing some nice ass...but it was quick!
Old 05-26-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those ratings sadden me as well.

However, I know of many people who never watched one episode of AI just tuning in last night to see who won. Can't really do that with a plot driven show and catch up.
Old 05-26-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by the big train
Hurley just keeps being Hurley. Man, I was rolling during his airport adventure.
That was one of the funniest scenes on tv this year. His shirt just progressively gets soaked, and he never loses his cool with anybody.
Old 05-26-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I watched at my parents house and was dying to rewind the Arst "bit," but alas, no DVR box.
What's worse is when your local affilliate has a chronic problem with their HD feed that causes it to randomly freeze for a second every now and then. Right before Ardst blew up it decided to freeze for more like [i]10 seconds[/]! It finally came back on as Hurley is getting back up off the ground. I had no idea what happened until they said it. I didn't get to see any of it!

It froze maybe 3 other times during the show, but I never missed more than a word or two of dialogue.
Old 05-26-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Roto
What's worse is when your local affilliate has a chronic problem with their HD feed that causes it to randomly freeze for a second every now and then. Right before Ardst blew up it decided to freeze for more like 10 seconds! It finally came back on as Hurley is getting back up off the ground. I had no idea what happened until they said it. I didn't get to see any of it!

It froze maybe 3 other times during the show, but I never missed more than a word or two of dialogue.
HD DirecTiVo?
Old 05-26-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well one thing was quite predictible about the finale. Two dozen whiners in this thead complaining about the show, yet still watch. Big shocker revealed!

I loved every minute of it. They threw some answers our way and threw us more questions. Was it really a big shocker that they didn't reveal what was in the hatch? Come on. If there was any show/plotline destined for a cliffhanger it is this one.

I watched at my parents house and was dying to rewind the Arst "bit," but alas, no DVR box.

So those that hate/starting to hate the show - do you have so much invested now that you can't stop watching? I, for one, will be front and center in the fall for the season premier.

I think the writers are doing a phenominal job balancing not only island action but backstories as well. Add to that the pressure they are feeling from the network to grind the show to a halt to milk it for all it is worth, and you get a fine line. I think they are balancing everything perfectly. Kudos to them.
This type of post shows that you either are not reading our complaints or that you just don't get them. I am glad you enjoyed the show and other people's criticism (what you call 'whining') should not take away from your enjoyment. However, I think most of us who were dissappointed have some very valid criticisms and concerns about the future.

In terms of 'why don't we just stop watching?', I just may stop. But for me, it is the fact that this show has such an enormous amount of potential that makes it so frustrating. Nothing gets me more excited than a truly unique and creative idea (especially one with a sci-fi bent), and i am just worried that this will end with some regurgitated writers copout. I will stop watching when my level of frustration with this show outweighs my level of enjoyment (and it is dangerously close to this point now).

I have no problem with people who don't understand or care about these concerns, I am happy you enjoyed the finale and I am glad that you feel satisfied. But to classify people with dissenting views as 'whiners' does a disservice to this thread's discussion, Imho.
Old 05-26-05, 11:38 AM

DRG, finally the voice of reason.

For what it's worth, I thought it was it was a very good finale. Any other ending with the hatch would have seemed premature to me. Now if they had left us without knowing if they had gotten the hatch open, then I would feel cheated.

But they ended it with the perfect cliffhanger... what will they find when they go down the ladder? Will something attack them? Are there a series of passage ways and caves? Will they lead to the Others? These are all questions we can speculate about during the summer.

Now if they don't at least start exploring the hatch in the first episode next season, then yes, we have a reason to be pissed. But I'm sure they will probably come up against a door or something and then have to bring more dynamite down the shaft!

And the kidnapping of Walt was totally unexpected and only the finale of Alias last night was more shocking and I mean a lot MORE shocking. I had to catch my breath!

Chris
Old 05-26-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by dave-o
In terms of 'why don't we just stop watching?'

This phrase is the TV Talk equivalent of 'love it or leave it' in the Politics forum.
Old 05-26-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
HD DirecTiVo?
I have Comcast cable and their HD-DVR. The problem is with KOMO-4 in Seattle. I think they're the West coast satellite feed, so I guess that's why you asked.
Old 05-26-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Morf

My feelings as well. I think some of you people won't be happy unless the TV starts shooting out dollar bills at you while answering every question you've ever had. Give me a break.
Fuck that. It better shoot out nothing less than twenties
Old 05-26-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

GuessWho

BYW, I hate people using "genre" to mean sci fi

"Genre" isn't a type of show itself, it's another word for "type of show"

"Genre" isn't a genre
Paging Captain Obvious.

"Genre show" is a shorthand industry term for styles of show that can be categorized within one or many genres outside the standards. People don't use it to mean "sci fi". It's shorthand that helps group together shows of different unique genres that share common characteristics and consequently often have common audiences. Often the term "genre show" is used for shows that mix multiple underrepresented genres together. It's just shorthand. Next, you'll tell us that "reality TV" isn't "reality".

das
Old 05-26-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

jkingfish

HOWEVER, I do agree that they really HAVE to give us something and soon. I'm not counting it out though.
This is how I feel. I'm caught in limbo right now. I'm not unhappy with the show, just cautious. If they drag it deep into next season, I'll be pissed off, but if the season premiere is strong, I'll have few complaints.

das

Old 05-26-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
Those ratings sadden me as well.

However, I know of many people who never watched one episode of AI just tuning in last night to see who won. Can't really do that with a plot driven show and catch up.
I think the ratings are an indication that the majority of people may not be as patient, as most here are, for the drawn out plotting, and are checking out sooner rather than later.

No wonder David Fury left at the end of the season
Old 05-26-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Sorry, but when a finale is built up as "something that will be talked about all summer," and all you get is 'the shaft' , I think disappointment is a valid reaction.
Seriously. Just because you're disappointed in a season finale doesn't necessarily make you a "whiner."

I'm in the same camp as most people here: Cool show, raises interesting questions, good acting, compelling characters--yet I'm tired of ALL mystery and NO answers. And to end the season on that exact same note felt incredibly lame.
Old 05-26-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone know if the show has a set number of seasons planned (like Carnivale or B5) or are they just set to keep going until they can't anymore. I'm really worried that it's the latter.
Old 05-26-05, 12:34 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by dave-o
I am happy you enjoyed the finale and I am glad that you feel satisfied. But to classify people with dissenting views as 'whiners' does a disservice to this thread's discussion, Imho.
It's the internet, insulting the opinions of those that disagree with you is the norm.

That's why, most of the time, I don't get involved in review type discussions. Just post my 2 cents and leave the thread.
Old 05-26-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chalk me up as another who was a bit disappointed with the ending. I was hoping for a little more answers. More answers wouldn't have stopped me from watching season 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.