DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Rob and Amber Get Married 5/24/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/424047-rob-amber-get-married-5-24-05-a.html)

runner001 05-24-05 07:17 PM

Rob and Amber Get Married 5/24/05

Reality TV celebrities Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich marry; wedding preparation, bachelor and bachelorette parties, the rehearsal dinner and the wedding ceremony in the Bahamas.

runner001 05-24-05 07:19 PM

So is anyone watching this?

movieking 05-24-05 07:24 PM

Not me.

I am curious to see what the ratings are going to be like. I really don't think that they will be very good.

astrochimp 05-24-05 07:54 PM

I liked them on Survivor and TAR but dont really need to see 2 hours of this wedding special although i will check in to see how Amber looks in her wedding dress ;)

dolphinboy 05-24-05 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I liked them on Survivor and TAR but dont really need to see 2 hours of this wedding special although i will check in to see how Amber looks in her wedding dress ;)

You mean what she looks like with the dress off, right? :)

There's nothing else on, so we'll probably have it on and do stuff around the house.

I know some people just hate Rob, but both of them were on Ferguson's show last night and they BOTH seem like genuinely good people. They mentioned they bought a house in the keys-on the Gulf side.

astrochimp 05-24-05 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
You mean what she looks like with the dress off, right? :)

Maybe thats an idea for a whole other special :D

Breakfast with Girls 05-24-05 08:30 PM

Who?

QuikSilver 05-24-05 09:06 PM

I will not be watching either.

tommyp007 05-24-05 09:19 PM

g/f is watching,, but I'm on here.............

runner001 05-24-05 10:05 PM

well, i started this thread but i actually haven't seen it myself.

so if anyone actually saw it, can you give us some highlights? anything actually interesting that we all missed?

vaporware 05-24-05 10:07 PM

I saw 1 minute, the first 30 and the last 30 seconds.

Patman 05-25-05 12:58 AM

I happened to turn on the TV at the start of the wedding ceremony. Their little speeches to one another were cute....aw....

Otherwise, it was probably a waste of 2 hours of prime time programming during sweeps.

the big train 05-25-05 01:04 AM

Ray and Deana were at the wedding.

MvRojo 05-25-05 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by the big train

Of course they invite the only other team I didn't care for.

Patman 05-25-05 01:33 AM

You mean Team on Fire weren't at the nuptials?

Mr. Salty 05-25-05 02:40 AM

Let the countdown to the ugly divorce begin.

shoppingbear 05-25-05 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by the big train

Not sure if you're kidding, but I watched and didn't see them.

I thought it was great, it felt like watching two "ordinary people" get married, certainly not the spectacles that some other televised weddings have been (Ryan and Trista, anyone?). I loved that Amber wanted her mom's best friend to make the wedding dress, and that Rob and Amber kinda poked fun at the whole process. I didn't see any Prima Donna moments from either of them, and the moments where they exchanged their gifts the night before, and then when they were reading their vows during the wedding ceremony, those were beautiful moments. :) Much happiness to them, I hope they have a great life. :)

dvdmovie1 05-25-05 05:52 AM

I thought it was a really nice, sweet show. Did it feel like a bit much at two hours? Sure, but it was good-natured and often pretty funny. Again, it was also well-handled and very grounded in comparison to other, similar shows that have aired.

movieking 05-25-05 06:29 AM

I really am curious to see the ratings, especially up against an "encore" episode of Lost and the final AI performance show. I think that it is going to be crushed, but you never know...

B.A. 05-25-05 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
I thought it was great, it felt like watching two "ordinary people" get married, certainly not the spectacles that some other televised weddings have been (Ryan and Trista, anyone?). I loved that Amber wanted her mom's best friend to make the wedding dress, and that Rob and Amber kinda poked fun at the whole process. I didn't see any Prima Donna moments from either of them, and the moments where they exchanged their gifts the night before, and then when they were reading their vows during the wedding ceremony, those were beautiful moments. :) Much happiness to them, I hope they have a great life. :)

I just talked to a co-worker who watched it, which is surprising because she always said that she hated Rob when we talked about TAR - she said it was pretty good and that it made her cry because it actually kind of romantic. :lol:
She did say she has a whole new perspective on Rob now, too.

I know my mom Tivoed it, I'm sure she will love it. Maybe I'll watch a minute or two of it next time I'm over there.

IdgIe49 05-25-05 07:35 AM

I actually got all teary eyed when they gave each other their gifts the night before. Rob's gift, a huge ass painting of the Boston Red Sox, signed by the players in Florida during spring training, made him cry. :) Amber's gift from Rob, a house in Florida. That was a nice house. His friends came through. Though he didn't care about the cost when he bought the furnishings for it. Did CBS pay for all that or was it Amber's million and their appearance money? Either way, it was quite a lot and must be damned nice.

taa455 05-25-05 08:34 AM

That house in Pensacola, FL is close to where we go on vacation every year. Why were they going to live in FL? I missed that part.

Red Dog 05-25-05 08:38 AM

I recorded it. I throw it on as background some time down the road.

das Monkey 05-25-05 09:01 AM

dvdmovie1

I thought it was a really nice, sweet show. Did it feel like a bit much at two hours? Sure, but it was good-natured and often pretty funny. Again, it was also well-handled and very grounded in comparison to other, similar shows that have aired.

I thought it was going to shamelessly pull at the heartstrings and try to build nonsensical and false "drama" along the way, but ... (wait, not "but") ... <i>and</i> that's exactly what it did ...

<i>but</i> I still really enjoyed it. It was handled very well and was just a nice show about two relatively normal people eating up a CBS budget and having a cool wedding. More power to them. Hopefully the appearance is the reality, and they have a great life.

I liked the difference between the gifts:

Ambuh: Here's a painting.
Rob: Oh cool, here's a completely furnished house.
Ambuh: Erm ... wow. OK, well, here's some sand.
Rob: Great, here's some diamond earrings.

das

wildcatlh 05-25-05 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
I really am curious to see the ratings, especially up against an "encore" episode of Lost and the final AI performance show. I think that it is going to be crushed, but you never know...

It wasn't up against AI (AI was from 8-9 PM, R+A Get Married started at 9).Didn't watch it myself (not with House and SVU on), but I have a feeling the ratings will be better than some people here expect.