DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   entire series of Firefly coming to Sci-Fi Channel (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/423369-entire-series-firefly-coming-sci-fi-channel.html)

ChrisHicks 05-19-05 06:30 PM

entire series of Firefly coming to Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/newswire.cgi?id=6906

FIREFLY (FOX) - The Sci Fi Channel has landed the repeat rights to all 15 hours of the short-lived FOX series (and basis of the upcoming "Serenity" feature film). The network's July schedule lists the series as joining its Friday lineup on July 22 at 7:00/6:00c where it will precede original episodes of "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Battlestar Galactica."

lopper 05-19-05 06:39 PM

Awesome.

I keep trying to remind myself to buy the DVD set, but I've never seen the show before and I can't exactly say that I'm a fan of any of Joss Whedon's previous work, so this should be an acceptable substitute for the time being.

If I like the first few episodes I'll probably end up getting the DVDs anyway.

coladar 05-19-05 07:41 PM

I wonder if there's any point in all of hoping Sci-Fi might pick the show up... Anyone have any idea how much an episode of BSG/SG1/SGA costs compared to Firefly? I have to think if these reairings get good enough ratings, a long-shot in and of itself, Sci-Fi might (finally) be interested.

Back in 02, Sci-Fi really didn't seem that gung-ho on original scripted programming. Farscape having just been canceled as Firefly was searching for a new home. But with the wild success of SG-A and BSG, that's obviously changed... With Firefly, I've learned not to get my hopes up too much, but hey, with a feature film, the broadcast rights to the original 15 being bought by the only network I'd expect to resurrect the series at this point...

potvin48 05-19-05 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by lopper
Awesome.

I keep trying to remind myself to buy the DVD set, but I've never seen the show before and I can't exactly say that I'm a fan of any of Joss Whedon's previous work, so this should be an acceptable substitute for the time being.

If I like the first few episodes I'll probably end up getting the DVDs anyway.

You'll probably like it, best blind buy I've ever made...I can't say for certain that you will because I have no idea what you like.

But I know that I find myself saying "Gees, I sure wish they didn't cancel that show, it was great".

Barry Woodward 05-19-05 09:52 PM

They'll have to break up the pilot episode, Serenity, to fit the hour-long time slot. The thing is, the episode is most compelling in one sitting. I don't know that it would be as effective for newcomers if they break it up.

tasha99 05-19-05 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
They'll have to break up the pilot episode, Serenity, to fit the hour-long time slot. The thing is, the episode is most compelling in one sitting. I don't know that it would be as effective for newcomers if they break it up.

Maybe they should play "The Train Job" episode first instead . . . :p

Matthew Chmiel 05-19-05 10:56 PM

I wonder if there's any point in all of hoping Sci-Fi might pick the show up...
There's a better chance hell will freeze over than new episodes of Firefly coming to television. Everyone has moved on and is now involved in different projects.

However if Serenity does well, Universal has the option to produce two more films.

dadaluholla 05-20-05 09:06 AM

I can't wait for the movie. Hope it does well so we can get a whole trilogy.

Groucho 05-20-05 09:16 AM

I never saw this. I'll watch it to see if I like enough to see the feature.

Morf 05-20-05 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I never saw this. I'll watch it to see if I like enough to see the feature.

Same here. Trailer to the movie looked kinda cool.

DaveNinja 05-20-05 10:31 AM

I just watched the last episode on DVD yesterday. I didnt think it was that great starting out but i got hooked a few episodes in. i liked a lot of the characters and will be looking forward to the film and comic

adamblast 05-20-05 10:52 AM

My 75 year-old Dad gets such a kick out of Firefly that he's watched the whole DVD set six or seven times. The characters are awfully endearing for something so short-lived.

Achtung 05-20-05 12:49 PM

I really wish I hadn't missed this when it was on FOX. After learning of the premise, it sounds pretty interesting. Hopefully this'll be a good chance to check it out.

MrE 05-20-05 03:11 PM

Be GLAD you missed it on Fox. They completely screwed up the story arc.

Shady12 05-20-05 04:37 PM

Was a blind buy for me and really like it..haven't finished the set yet only halfway through.. Shame it got screwed over the way it did.