DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Scrubs Being held back, not permiering this fall? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/422836-scrubs-being-held-back-not-permiering-fall.html)

maingon 05-16-05 12:26 PM

Scrubs Being held back, not permiering this fall?

:(

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...316|1|,00.html

Rogue588 05-16-05 12:46 PM

Yes, and so is Fear Factor.

Red Dog 05-16-05 12:52 PM

Discuss here.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422508

riley_dude 05-16-05 12:59 PM

NBC has turned into a horrible network. What better could they put on than Scrubs??

Josh H 05-16-05 01:26 PM

Kind of sucks, but maybe it means once it starts runnig the whole season will run continuously with no repeats ala Alias and 24?

I'd prefer that personally.

BDLOU 05-16-05 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog

Why don't we just discuss everything dealing with TV in one thread? It's kind of hard to discuss one item in that thread since its dealing with basically every show.

Red Dog 05-16-05 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Why don't we just discuss everything dealing with TV in one thread? It's kind of hard to discuss one item in that thread since its dealing with basically every show.

It is a renewal/cancellation thread. Therefore, if you want to discuss the cancellation or renewal of a specific show, you certainly can do so in that thread, as people have been doing. It isn't hard at all.

Josh H 05-16-05 02:02 PM

Meh, I like having the one thread to look at info, but see no problem with seperate threads for major news. Discussion gets cluttered in one and only type threads on multiple topics like that.

BDLOU 05-16-05 02:03 PM

It is a renewal/cancellation thread. Therefore, if you want to discuss the cancellation or renewal of a specific show, you certainly can do so in that thread, as people have been doing. It isn't hard at all.

Things get overlooked in those threads due to the size. It's not like we are running out of threads here. If it isn't important then the thread will quickly drop out of view. I suppose I'm in the wrong here but I think its easier this way.

Rogue588 05-16-05 02:37 PM

Based on the amount of attention this show gets here, I agree with the above posts.

Kinda like those "all inclusive" bargain posts. Sometimes one item warrants its own thread..

Renee 05-16-05 02:45 PM

Well, I guess that means I'm buying Season 1 tomorrow. I was debating putting it off until a major bargain came along, but now I HAVE to buy it! The idiots that run NBC need to know we love this show, and I need a weekly dose of Scrubs next fall, even if its in the form of Season 1 on DVD.

rfduncan 05-16-05 02:51 PM

Besides this isn't about renewal or cancellation. Scrubs has been picked up for two more seasons (three season contract signed in 2004).

Fielding Mellish 05-16-05 03:04 PM

Besides this isn't about renewal or cancellation. Scrubs has been picked up for two more seasons...

(Cough!) (Cough!)
FARSCAPE!
(Cough!) (Cough!)

redinger 05-18-05 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Based on the amount of attention this show gets here, I agree with the above posts.

Kinda like those "all inclusive" bargain posts. Sometimes one item warrants its own thread..

I agree, Scrubs is some of the best TV available. Plus it does attract enough attention on this forum. I think it deserves....no we owe it to Scrubs to give it it's own thread.

Here's hoping to the no-repeats model!

riley_dude 05-18-05 11:59 AM

This show has been moved and around and jerked around since the start and NBC obviously doesnt understand the gem it has. Instead they put all their support behind shows like Friends, Frasier and the Donald Trump show.
The netowrk that was once Number one is prooving why it is no longer there by making decisions like this one. They would rather stand behind new shows (The Office) instead of old established ones like Scrubs

BDLOU 05-18-05 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
This show has been moved and around and jerked around since the start and NBC obviously doesnt understand the gem it has. Instead they put all their support behind shows like Friends, Frasier and the Donald Trump show.
The netowrk that was once Number one is prooving why it is no longer there by making decisions like this one. They would rather stand behind new shows (The Office) instead of old established ones like Scrubs

I think if you look at the ratings, Scrubs is not as established as you think. I agree that it's one of the top few comedies but unfortunately, America needs carbon copy sitcoms.

Michael Corvin 05-18-05 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude

Well if Scrubs brought in the hundreds of millions of dollars these other shows do, I'm sure they would stand behind it more.

I see it as - they know they need some hit shows. Scrubs is not it, so they are testing the waters with new ones. They know it is established, but doesn't draw the viewers needed to be a Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, or ER. As much as we like it, it isn't the staple show you think it is. That is why it is shuffled around so much, trying different nights, different times, trying to grab at every possible viewer they can.

They didn't cancel it, it will be on.

riley_dude 05-18-05 01:38 PM

How can it make them millions when they dont care enough about it to promote it or give it a regular time slot????

This from TVguide.com

At NBC's upfront presentation on Monday, Peacock president Kevin Reilly said he was holding Scrubs until midseason because Zach Braff landed a movie that'll shoot later this summer. However, a source close to the show claims production on the new season will begin on schedule in August. "Zach is shooting two movies this summer, but it won't delay production," groans the insider. "No one knows why Kevin said that." And if his films were going to have an impact on the new season, I'm pretty sure Zach would have mentioned it to me Sunday night when we were hanging out at Scrubs' Season 1 DVD launch party in New York.

Dr_Evil 05-18-05 09:41 PM

An interview with Bill Lawrence on zap2it gives some insight into why NBC doesn't promote Scrubs:

We also asked why he thinks NBC tends not to promote "Scrubs" very heavily, even to the point that it no longer gets the scenes-from-next-week treatment at the close of an episode. Rather than a rant, though, the question produces a thoughtful answer from Lawrence, a sitcom veteran ("Friends, "Spin City"), about the nature of the TV business.

"The bad part about the way TV works is, our show is on NBC, but it's 100 percent owned by Disney ['Scrubs' is produced by Disney's Touchstone TV]," he says. "I don't blame the network executives, but it's a sh***y situation. Our show did just -- it wasn't a giant hit out of the gate, but it did just well enough that it's going to stay on forever. But since they [NBC] don't stand to make any money on it in the end, they use it as a Band-aid. They move it from timeslot to timeslot ... always knowing that the core audience will follow along.

"If the question comes down to, Are we gonna promote 'Scrubs' or, in success, a show we stand to make millions of dollars on?, the answer's always gonna be, regardless of quality, the show you stand to make money on."

That fact, however, also spurred Lawrence and Braff to involve themselves heavily in the DVD release of "Scrubs'" first season; it's scheduled to hit stores May 17, a week after the show's season finale on Tuesday (May 10). In addition to commentaries from the Lawrence and the entire cast, the three-disc set includes features on cast members before they joined the show, the production process on the show's abandoned-hospital set and the cast discussing their favorite episodes.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|95214|1|,00.html

Heat 05-19-05 01:21 AM

If Disney owns Scrubs, does that mean that if NBC didn't want it anymore it could easily be moved to another network?

Also, I used to watch this show regularly but haven't seen an episode in probably a year. When is it's timeslot these days?

griz 05-19-05 09:34 AM

Is this common with tv shows (owned by one network, but shown on another)? I've noticed the last couple weeks that House, MD is produced by NBC/Universal.

Michael Corvin 05-19-05 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
If Disney owns Scrubs, does that mean that if NBC didn't want it anymore it could easily be moved to another network?

Also, I used to watch this show regularly but haven't seen an episode in probably a year. When is it's timeslot these days?

Well since it is owned by ABC, I doubt they want a show drawing average ratings since their recent out of the park success with Lost and DH.

sherm42 05-19-05 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by griz
Is this common with tv shows (owned by one network, but shown on another)? I've noticed the last couple weeks that House, MD is produced by NBC/Universal.

It's not only common, but it used to be against the law for networks to produce and own the shows they broadcast. I think it had to do with fears of networks gaining a monopoly.

This law has changed though. Interestingly, the allowance of the networks to own their own shows has had a big impact. There used to be tons of small production companies that would produce and sell shows, but now most networks want to make and own their own shows. Many of the smaller production companies have gone out of business. Show ownership means that networks control the contents more closely. Many feel this stifles creativity even more.

Some examples of shows not owned by the networks that boradcasted them: Cheers, Seinfeld, Friends, Mad About You, ER, West Wing, Everybody Loves Raymond.