DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Contender 5/15/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/422736-contender-5-15-05-a.html)

astrochimp 05-15-05 07:53 PM

The Contender 5/15/05

Helluva fight,best one so far :)

Dabaomb 05-15-05 07:59 PM

I missed most of the fight cuz of Survivor but I tuned in for rounds 6 & 7. Peter's uppercut in round 6 was brutal, it totallly changed the fight. Round 7 was toe-to-toe. Best round of the tournament so far.

It looks like Peter finally used his size advantage this time. Peter has a 2-class advantage over Phonso. Peter's a natural middleweight (160) whereas Phonso is a Welterweight (147).

Phonso's face was pretty beat up.

thelwig14 05-15-05 08:18 PM

It is amazing what just an added two rounds does to a boxing match. Even though I totally understand why they did 5 rounds (they pretty much had to), the results of the show would have been altered a little with longer round fights.

Either way, incredible fight and one of the best so far.

Unfortunately the spoiler I received a month ago is holding true. Bastards.

Josh H 05-15-05 10:25 PM

Great fight.

Was said to see Alfonzo lose though, I was pulling for him. Guess I'll pull for Sergio now, though I think he has no chance against Manfredo. He could well lose to the stronger Jesse as well.

I just hope Peter doesn't win. Nothing against him, but it would suck IMO to see someone only still in there b/c another fighter had to withdraw with the chicken pox get the $1 million instead of someone that won all their fights.

Dabaomb 05-15-05 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Great fight.

Was said to see Alfonzo lose though, I was pulling for him. Guess I'll pull for Sergio now, though I think he has no chance against Manfredo. He could well lose to the stronger Jesse as well.

I just hope Peter doesn't win. Nothing against him, but it would suck IMO to see someone only still in there b/c another fighter had to withdraw with the chicken pox get the $1 million instead of someone that won all their fights.

personally, I would have no problem with Peter winning. He was the top ranked fighter coming in and he lost due to a # of circumstances. Not taking anything away from Phonso but Peter beat him in the rematch.

Phonso was just outsized by the bigger fighter...it sucks that Phonso had to fight middleweights when he's only a welterweight but that's life.

Phonso had a real good showing during this tournament so he got his name out there and is gonna have some big time fights for him post-Contender.

I think that Sergio is a better boxer than Jesse so hopefully he'll prevail. Sergio & Peter have different styles (Sergio is more of a technical boxer that uses his jab a lot whereas Manfredo is more of a power puncher).

thelwig14 05-15-05 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=Dabaomb]personally, I would have no problem with Peter winning. He was the top ranked fighter coming in and he lost due to a # of circumstances. Not taking anything away from Phonso but Peter beat him in the rematch.QUOTE]

Dabaomb 05-15-05 11:41 PM

I just saw the entire fight on the Yahoo Contender Site

I scored it:
Round 1: Peter
2: Phonso
3: Peter
4: Phonso
5: Phonso
6. Peter
7. Peter

Phonso was winning round 6 then all of a sudden Peter faked a jab and Phonso ducked and Peter threw an uppercut that clocked him and totally changed the fight.

Round 7 was one of the best rounds so far. Toe-to-toe the whole round.

mytzplyx 05-16-05 02:31 AM

i wanna go to vegas and watch this thing!

TK-421 05-16-05 08:16 AM

Anyone got any info if this thing will make it to Season 2? This is the only good reality TV out there and I would definitely watch it again next year.

Gil Jawetz 05-16-05 09:35 AM

Alfonso is such a class act. His parting words were really moving. And his little, quiet "viva Mexico" at the end actually got me choked up. Hats off to a serious fighter and a great guy.

JHosk 05-16-05 10:56 AM

Another great episode. I never realized how under-sized Alphoso was until he pointed it out last night. It must have stung a little bit to beat Peter in the first round, only to get beaten by him later in the competion with only one fight to the finals. He handled it with total class. Hopefully he'll get some big $$ paydays in the future.

Both guys showed a lot of heart in last night's fight. Way back when they voted Peter back into the competition Jesse said something along the lines of "I think we let a Lion back into the competition". I guess that proved true.

The preview for next week looks like Jesse gets a KO on Sergio. Man that dude has some serious power.

Jas

Josh H 05-16-05 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
personally, I would have no problem with Peter winning. He was the top ranked fighter coming in and he lost due to a # of circumstances. Not taking anything away from Phonso but Peter beat him in the rematch.

Yeah, he's earned his way back, it just sucks because no everyone gets that chance, just him and Ahmed.

Maybe they should have had alternates or something to come in if someone has to drop out. Still sucks, but better than letting defeated fighters back IMO.

Sure Peter won the rematch, but the the same could be said of Ishe and others that lost who might have won if voted back.

Josh H 05-16-05 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by JHosk
The preview for next week looks like Jesse gets a KO on Sergio. Man that dude has some serious power.

I didn't notice that, but when they were talking about the finale, they only showed interviews with Peter and Jesse (though no clips of them fighting).

I'd rather see that fight personally, Peter would wipe the ring with Sergio. Probably Jesse too, but Jesse at least has the power to hurt him and showed he can take a beating in his fight with Bonsante.

vinhj 05-16-05 11:40 AM

Both guys showed a lot of heart in last night's fight. Way back when they voted Peter back into the competition Jesse said something along the lines of "I think we let a Lion back into the competition". I guess that proved true.

"I voted for Jonathan!" :lol:

Joeboo835 05-16-05 12:04 PM

So will hte live fight be longer? Since they upped the fight form 5 to 7, i figured maybe they'd go 10 for the live fight.

I hate to say it, and i'm no boxing expert, but in my opinion we already saw the championship fight last night. Neither Sergio or Jesse can beat Peter. And I thought Fonzo did a GREAT job keeping up with him. If Peter doesn't land that uppercut, Fonzo is going to the final.

Either way, again in my opinion, the fight this coming sunday is meaningless.

Josh H 05-16-05 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Either way, again in my opinion, the fight this coming sunday is meaningless.

Yep, most likely anyway. Only way he loses is if he fights Jesse and get's hit with a big punch or two and knocked out.

TK-421 05-16-05 12:26 PM

There will be two fights next Tuesday night. The undercard will be the "Battle of the Bronze" between Alfonso and the loser next week, and then the prize fight between Manfredo and the other winner.

During the day will be the fan favorites fights broadcast via Yahoo.

Josh H 05-16-05 12:28 PM

Awesome. At least we get to see Alfonso fight one more time. Probably against Sergio. Should be a good match.

astrochimp 05-16-05 03:56 PM

It did kinda look like they were pointing to a Peter/Jesse final but i wouldnt count out Sergio afterall he did beat Ishe who pre-Contender had beaten Alphonso,hes a smart fighter.

Josh H 05-16-05 04:13 PM

Sergio is a smart fighter, but so's Peter. Ishe wasn't smart at all in his fight with Sergio.

TheGodfather 05-16-05 05:29 PM

I'm rooting for a Segio vs. Peter final. It would be cool if I liked both guys in the fight. Also be cool to watch Alphonso whoop Jesse in the undercard.

:fc:

Dabaomb 05-17-05 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Alfonso is such a class act. His parting words were really moving. And his little, quiet "viva Mexico" at the end actually got me choked up. Hats off to a serious fighter and a great guy.

:up:

TK-421 05-17-05 07:27 AM

It's official.. "The Contender" has been cancelled:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...t/11665902.htm

In the most unexpected cancellation, the network axed one of its ``Law & Order'' shows -- ``Trial By Jury,'' which made its debut to so-so ratings in the spring. Also dropped from the schedule: ``American Dreams,'' the network's top family drama; ``The Contender,'' the high-profile boxing show that never found an audience; and ``Revelations,'' the apocalyptic thriller that has been flat-lining in the ratings.

Gil Jawetz 05-17-05 09:17 AM

That's a real shame. It's such an excellent show.

Bill Needle 05-17-05 10:09 AM

Every week that I can recall a preview for, the preview led you to believe the opposite of what ended up happening. Typical of a Burnett production.