Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ER -- "Carter Est Amoureux" -- 05.12.2005

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-12-05, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Carter Est Amoureux"

Spoiler:
Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) explodes at Neela (Parminder Nagra) for performing a complicated procedure on a baby, Abby (Maura Tierney) misdiagnoses an emphysema patient, and Ray's (Shane West) procedural misstep on a stab victim has terrible results. Outside of the ER, Carter (Noah Wyle) dashes off to Paris after learning that Kem's (Thandie Newton) mother has been hospitalized. Once there, Carter discovers some things about himself and makes some life-altering decisions.
Old 05-12-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty good ep. I absolutely love Thandie Newton. Her scenes with Noah were fantastic. Although I hated what was implied with her character.

Not sure why they showed Pratt being so tough with Neela, but just kinda shrugging off Ray's fatal mistake. That was pretty f'ed up.
Old 05-12-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Carter should wear a cape, the guy is totally money, but watching him get jealous of Michel, and visibly annoyed at the guy in his presence was funny in a strange way. It was nice to finally see Carter coming to his senses to fight for Kem, to fall towards her world, giving up his life in Chicago because he realizes that home is where Kem is, and he's got more than enough resources to commit to her, even with her struggles with the memory of their stillborn child from a year ago. It was brave of Carter to practically beg Kem to not let their setback totally define their relationship, and to press on and live life on their own terms.

Sam and Luka are headed for splitsville. He wants to start another family, but Sam is so against bearing anymore children.

Pratt did verbally smack Neelah around for doing a tricky procedure on an infant without any supervision. Ray got a slap on the wrist for his mistake that cost a woman her life, but she was later revealed to be a scumbag who forced her elderly aunts to go panhandle to support her drug habit.

Abby is afraid to commit to Jake, so his match program is a mess when she makes it clear that he shouldn't put Country General as his first choice just for her sake. Not sure what Abby's reservations are, but they are real enough for her to not embrace Jake's choice for internship match.

The dripping crap scenes were nasty. Too bad Morris didn't get some on him. Being chief resident has already gone to his head as he requests funds to redecorate the chief resident office, and Susan just had to slap him upside the head to keep it real.

So next week will feature the new core group of interns moving on to becoming residents (Neelah, Abby, Ray), and a new group of interns will be coming through as well. And so the cycle begins anew.

Last edited by Patman; 05-12-05 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
good. no more alien woman. only good thing about carter leaving
I laugh at NBC. their promos made it obvious carter was leaving, but were supposed to make you wonder and make it like it could go either way. But the simple fact of having commercials like that for an original cast member makes it super obvious thet they're leaving
and I think ray will be gone too after killing that lady
Old 05-12-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I hated what was implied with her character.
That she is going back to Africa? What did I miss there?
Old 05-13-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the first time since the character was introduced - I was annoyed w/ Kem.

Morris needs to go. As does Ray.

Still can't believe Wyle is leaving.

Has anyone heard who will be joining the show as an intern?
Old 05-13-05, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Abby is afraid to commit to Jake, so his match program is a mess when she makes it clear that he shouldn't put Country General as his first choice just for her sake. Not sure what Abby's reservations are, but they are real enough for her to not embrace Jake's choice for internship match.
I think that Abby is really afraid of committing to her relationship with Jake. Look at how she treated him calling her his girlfriend. He seems like a good guy - relatively good-looking, good job, nice big loving family, and it seems like that's something that Abby just can't deal with. It's like she needs to have drama in her life, something has to always be going wrong.

She needs to stop pushing him away - he's already getting sick of it:

Abby - "Jake, don't go away mad"
Jake - " ... but go away"

And the Luka/Sam thing is quite obvious, I'm surprised she's not getting it. I like Sam, but how she's so pissed at him isn't helping things. Like when he was talking about going to Home Depot and she flipped out. What, is normal life supposed to stop?

It was kind of strange how Pratt went after Neela. When she started crying and he said, "what, are you crying now?" I so wanted him to say, "there's no crying in the hospital!" Or something to that effect. And then he lets Ray off with barely a slap on the wrist for killing someone. Weird.

I thought this was a really good episode, and the commercials that NBC is running about Carter make me want to watch all the old episodes. It's such good tv.
Old 05-13-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah - Visnjic kicked ass in those counseling scenes.
Old 05-13-05, 12:40 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sailor_moon
When she started crying and he said, "what, are you crying now?" I so wanted him to say, "there's no crying in the hospital!"
I said the same thing when he told her that

I think he just expects more from her then he does Ray.

Sam is becoming as annoying as her demonspawn.
Old 05-13-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
what was up with the crap any way?
is there a septic tank in the ceiling or something?
because if it was a leaky pipe there would by much more water than crap since it would only leak when flushed
that made ZERO sense
plus it was obvious they were using chocolate syrup, the color was way too dark for liquid crap
Old 05-13-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX

I think he just expects more from her then he does Ray.
Exactly. Ray is supposed to fuck up. Neela is all book smarts with little common sense, she is supposed to be the star of their intern group.

For the most part I like the cast. Ray, Neela, Jake, Luka, the Surgeon guy with the long curly hair, and given time I bet Morris is going to be the Romano we love to hate. They need Gallant back though. Big time.
Old 05-13-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

mikehunt - your'e killing me. Too dark?
Old 05-13-05, 02:16 PM
Banned

Isn't
Spoiler:
Visnjic
supposed to be leaving too? Not much time to be written out. Unless there was a re-sign that wasn't mentioned.
Old 05-13-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember reading that before last season, but haven't heard anything about it since. Who knows...
Old 05-13-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Legolas
Isn't
Spoiler:
Visnjic
supposed to be leaving too? Not much time to be written out. Unless there was a re-sign that wasn't mentioned.

I thought I read that as well.
Old 05-13-05, 07:35 PM
Cool New Member

Carter's giving up his life for a woman who doesn't love him. I don't think he really loves her like that either. I sense an affection between them but I don't think it's a deep love. What's tying them together is the baby and Carter's lonliness.

Interesting that Abby tells Jake not to give up his life for her when Carter is doing just that for Kem.
Poor Carter. He's such a lost soul.

Did anyone catch all the cuts back and forth between Carter and Abby.
I swear I think their story is not over.

Wyle's coming back for guest appearances so anything is possible.
Old 05-13-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MikeL.
Carter's giving up his life for a woman who doesn't love him. I don't think he really loves her like that either. I sense an affection between them but I don't think it's a deep love. What's tying them together is the baby and Carter's lonliness.

Interesting that Abby tells Jake not to give up his life for her when Carter is doing just that for Kem.
Poor Carter. He's such a lost soul.

Did anyone catch all the cuts back and forth between Carter and Abby.
I swear I think their story is not over.

I wouldn't say he's giving up his life.. If things don't work out, I'm sure he
can come back and the doors would be open wide for him.
Maybe they think it's worth finding out if it's real.
I think he wants to make sure that they aren't defined by the baby.
Her getting pregnant or losing it.
If they don't take the chance.. they'll never know.
And both will be forever wondering if it was real or just for the sake of the baby.
If nothing else.. this will give them a chance to do something that they weren't able to do after they lost the baby: grieve together.
Old 05-13-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Plus, Carter's a rich mofo, so he's got all the freedom in the world to take a chance on him and Kem.
Old 05-13-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
That she is going back to Africa? What did I miss there?
I didn't like the way they had her and Michel interacting and that they alluded to her sleeping with him.

Originally Posted by B.A.
For the first time since the character was introduced - I was annoyed w/ Kem.
Same here. She was really pissing me off. Especially when she laughed at Carter's jealously.

I really like the Luka character. I don't like Sam. I hope they split for good and get Luka in a better relationship. I don't know why he keeps fighting for her.
Old 05-13-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've said it before and I"ll say it again - Carter is the gangstarest doc in town. I always feel like walking into a clinic or hospital and asking if Dr. Carter was around, and if not, if I could see Benton. I wonder what kind of looks I'd get. Do doctors that good really work in county hospitals???? If so, please let me know, especially here in LA.
Old 05-13-05, 10:38 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Amel
I didn't like the way they had her and Michel interacting and that they alluded to her sleeping with him.

Same here. She was really pissing me off. Especially when she laughed at Carter's jealously.
I don't get it. I guess it's just the double standard. Carter was dating and sleeping with Wendall, where was the dislike for him?
Old 05-13-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't get it. I guess it's just the double standard. Carter was dating and sleeping with Wendall, where was the dislike for him?
oops. Didn't see those episodes. I watch ER on and off now. I've only seen about 1/2 of this seasons episodes. I really enjoy the show, but for me, sometimes it just gets too depressing. It's very well-written, and well-acted depressing, but I just don't like that feeling. So, I watch it sporadically now. Thandie Newton guest starring will get me to watch every time. Other than that, I tune in whenever I see a preview that looks really interesting.
Old 05-13-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Especially when she laughed at Carter's jealously.
Aside from that, I thought it was rather odd for to laugh at Carter's desperate plea at the end. I thought the next thing she was going to do was rip out his heart and stomp on it then slam the door on his face, but I guess that would have been too cliche even for the writers of ER.
Old 05-13-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MikeL.
Is he actually going to come back with frequency or be like Dr. Benton and show up two times and disappear for good after being an occasional guest star?
Old 05-14-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok about Carter and Luka:
Spoiler:
I think he will make four guest appearances for each of the next 3-4 seasons. Something like that. I also think Luka is leaving this season, but I don't know whether he will make guest appearances or not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.