Reload this Page >

Jack and Bobby season finale (5/11)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-12-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me, or did they purposely make this episode feel like a series finale in the event they don't get picked up next year. If they get picked up next year, I wonder what direction they will go in? This didn't really leave too many dangling questions about the destinies of these characters.

I thought it was a fine season finale, but pretty crappy how the preacher man made Jack sit out of his girlfriend's funeral.
Old 05-12-05, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is one of the best shows America will never see. Most people are too busy watching "The Bachelor" and miss out.

The finale was sad, just knowing how Jack died...that scene with him and his dad was raw.

Damn, this really sucks that it had to end, like that. I'm pretty sure the show won't be picked up.
Old 05-12-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I saw the commercials for this episode, I thought it was going to be weak.

I was wrong. This was superb television. There were great momemnts followed by other great momements. Jack and Bobby talking on the balcony. Jack meeting his father. Bobby thanking the Univ. Pres. (name??) and of course Jack and Courtney.

It took them 3/4 of the season to realize the star of the show is Jack and not Grace. Ever since Jack hurt his knee the show has been fantastic. Unfortunately, reruns will bring back the horrible Grace, Graces Brother and Tom episodes. Even if people do watch it, chances are the episodes they see will not be the great ones of the last several months.
Old 05-12-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know why my eyes watered as the highlights of Jack's adult life were being recounted, and then his untimely demise, which resulted in Bobby's rise to political power by happenstance, though at such a high personal cost: losing his only brother in a situation of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yes, this episode felt too neat in spots, like the producers were saying, "okay, we know the ratings stink, but if this is the only season we've got, then we need to give the viewers enough of the future history to know their investment in viewing this show paid off for them." I hope it returns, but I don't know if the WB can keep it on the air if they don't think the ratings will get better next season.
Old 05-12-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought that the WB did something that is rarely or ever done. They bought two seasons of the show up front. I could be wrong, there could be stipulations or they might choose not to air a second season. But I thought WB ordered two seasons.
Old 05-12-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was definately the best episode of Jack and Bobby. It took me by surprise. And by the way they ended up all the plot stories, I think there will not be another season. The scene where Jack and Bobby are talking on the balcony was very touching and smartly written. I also enjoyed the part at the end where Bobby could never kick Jack's ass since he will always be his little brother. This is very true. Watching this episode made me feel wanting an older brother.
Old 05-12-05, 03:13 PM

I actually appreciate the show's producers recognizing that because there is a pretty decent shot at not getting picked up that they tie up a lot of the major loose ends so that the shows fans do feel like it was worth the investment. While I realize that it's a losing financial proposition for a network, I'd think it would be a good PR proposition for them to say "If we decide to cancel this episodic show, we will allow 3 additional episodes to be made and air so that we can clear up any loose ends and finalize the show for the fans."
Old 05-12-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ayre
I thought that the WB did something that is rarely or ever done. They bought two seasons of the show up front. I could be wrong, there could be stipulations or they might choose not to air a second season. But I thought WB ordered two seasons.
I believe they did. Early on in the series, when it was on Sunday night, they announced after one episode that the series had been picked up for a second year. That was before Desperate Housewives hammered them out of Sunday and made WB move the show. I still think this show would be better suited for Tuesday night, paired with Gilmore Girls. Maybe it would have had better ratings then, who knows?

I just hope we do get the second season. Quality programming like this is hard to come by these days and it's disappointing when shows like this don't work out in the first season. If this was on NBC in the 80's, I know it would be given a chance at a second season, but in today's environment on TV, I am not so sure.
Old 05-12-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't crazy about having Tim Robbins be the adult voice for Bobby, though.
Old 05-12-05, 07:26 PM

did any show ever say how bobby ended up with courtney?

i think it would have been better if they never revealed which brother ended up president
Old 05-12-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bobby was probably unmarried at the time of Jack's untimely death, and Courtney stepped aside and let Bobby finish up Jack's term. You just have to assume that Bobby and Courtney just became close after Jack's death, and with 2 children from Jack's marriage, Bobby stepped in on that front too.
Old 05-15-05, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Bobby was probably unmarried at the time of Jack's untimely death, and Courtney stepped aside and let Bobby finish up Jack's term. You just have to assume that Bobby and Courtney just became close after Jack's death, and with 2 children from Jack's marriage, Bobby stepped in on that front too.
See, I was wondering if Jack's wife that they mentioned was Courtney or not. For some reason I was thinking that it was not Courtney. That would be weird if she was married to both brothers. I was thinking instead that Jack and Courtney probably went their separate ways after high school and Jack married someone else. Bobby probably stayed in Courtney's life due to his close relationship with her father, so I could see where they would eventually marry as adults.
Old 05-15-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that it was mentioned that Jack and Courtney were married in a previous episode, but I can't remember for sure.
Old 05-15-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Due to extenuating circumstances I was only able to catch the last couple of minutes of the ep (and I wasn't able to record) - could someone please give me a recap, particularly a recap of how the future unfolded for the brothers (i.e. Jack's fall/Bobby's rise).

Thank you.

here's TV Tome's recap:

In the future documentary, there is a host who explains how Jack fought in the War of Americas and became a war hero (but was badly injured with his old knee injury becoming permanent), then became a famous public defender, was elected into Congress, and shot to death by a drug addict while driving to his son's soccer game. Jack was married and had two sons. Bobby was the one who encouraged Jack who was a Democrat to run for Congress and inherited Jack's seat when he died.

An older Peter and the Adult Marcus tell what happens after Jack dies. The host also says how everything the brothers do in the future are tied back to the day that they met their father in prison. The future reveals Jack's heartbreaking fate and details Bobby's unlikely road to the Presidency and, for the first time, we hear the voice (Tim Robbins, "Mystic River") of President McCallister.

In the present, Jack and Bobby discover that Grace plans to visit their father, Juan (guest star Lou Diamond Phillips, "La Bamba, " "Hollywood Homicide"), in a Texas prison. Even though Bobby was originally the one who wanted to see their dad, Jack is the the brother who meets him, and he feels responsible for their dad leaving, but their dad says that he left because he was a screwup. Their dad is in prison for murder, but there seems to be hints that he was unjustly convicted and is innocent---the reason Jack became a public defender.

Jack and Courtney finally reveal their true feelings for one another, and they kiss. Peter and Bobby connect as father and son. Lastly, Tom returns and goes to Grace's house. She answers the front foor in a bath robe. Author Gore Vidal ("Lincoln") appears as the host of the McCallister documentary and producer Norman Lear ("All in the Family") appears as the elderly Peter Benedict, Bobby's future father-in-law.

Did they leave anything else out that might be of interest?

Last edited by B.A.; 05-15-05 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-15-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Lastly, Tom returns and goes to Grace's house. She answers the front foor in a bath robe"

That must have ended up on the cutting room floor.

The word is now that Jack & Bobby will not return. We find out for sure on Tuesday (5/17). All indications point to this being the last epsiode.

http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristi...05/050513.html

"You Don't Know Jack, and That's a Crying Shame: It's the best show people stupidly ignored this season, which is why it breaks my heart to tell you sources have confirmed Jack & Bobby is a goner."

On another site I read stated they have already struck the sets.

None of this means anything 'til Tuesday (not the band)

Last edited by Ayre; 05-16-05 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-15-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That recap on the future history added details not in the episode.

I felt this would be the last episode, given how it ended in a neat bundle.
Old 05-15-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's see (re: the show, not the synopsis, details):

Future history.

After meeting his dad in prison, it has an effect on Jack, especially his choice in occupational calling, and after being a war hero (details of him getting shot in the shoulder, and his knee being the reason he faltered as he raced to a tank for safety, he had to crawl to the tank, with a tattered body, but he got inside, and used the artillery to save his brothers-in-arms from enemy fire), he becomes a lawyer, a defender and is good at it. Then he runs for Congress. Later, at a convenience store hold-up, Jack is shot and killed (no mention of a junkie doing the deed). Grace was crushed. Her better days were behind her at that juncture. Usually a congressman's seat (if they die in office) goes to his widow, but Jack's wife deferred, and let Bobby serve out Jack's term. Jack had 2 children with his wife. After serving out the term, Bobby was convinced to run for the seat again, but he ran as an independent. This served as a springboard to his rise to political power, first a congressman, then a governor, and finally the first president from an independent political party. And then they had Tim Robbins as Robert McCallister orate the opening of the first of his 2 inaugurations.

Courtney did have Jack meet her after school to state her feeling for him, in light of Missy's passing, and the lack of obstacles for them now, she also said that Marcus was cool with her pursuing Jack. Jack let Courtney ramble on when she thought Jack was going to push her away, but he moved in for a kiss and Courtney had the man she wanted all along.

In the last segment, Jack and Bobby are warming up for a run around the neighborhood, Bobby asked Jack about his summer plans, and Jack is just going to hang out, work at J.R.'s, and spend time with Courtney. Jack wants Bobby to pursue track, and notes that even though Bobby didn't make it this year, he's grown almost a foot over the course of the year, and Bobby got a little confidence from that remark, but Jack said that Bobby still couldn't kick his ass because Jack would always be his big brother. Jack starts running to get a jump on Bobby, Bobby catches up and then surpasses Jack, gangly limbs and all in slow motion (of course), and then they drop in Pres. McCallister's words as narrated by Tim Robbins, and then fade to credits.

(They never showed the Tom and Grace scene, thankfully)

(corrected the part about Jack's war account of his knee injury coming into play)

Last edited by Patman; 05-16-05 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-15-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, Patman. Your art of the recap is much appreciated.

Old 05-16-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'm not sure what it was that drew me to this show in the first place since it's not what I would normally watch, but having caught it from the start and sticking with it all season, I will miss it if it doesn't return. As someone said above, it suffered from where it had been placed in the schedule. Good show, and if this was the end, a nice ending point.
Old 05-16-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Futoncritic.com has it listed as not coming back.
Old 05-16-05, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
After serving out the term, Bobby was convinced to run for the seat again, but he ran as an independent.
Actually, he ran for Congress an a Republican. It was later, when he was running in the primaries for Presiedent that he switched to an Independent (that was from a previous episode) but the future Marcus mentioned his later switch to Independent right after he said he switched to Republican.

There was also some interesting details about the War of the Americas. South America was at war with Mexico and some sort of water shortage caused the US to become allies with Mexico which brought them into the war. They mentioned that Jack was in a battle for Panama. They showed him running to a tank, when his old knee injury flared up. He fell to the ground, but crawled to the tank, where he was able to come save the day.

Something else that was cool was that someone in the future (can't recall who) mentioned that Bobby always felt that the wrong brother became President. He spent his whole presidency trying to live up to/do what he thought Jack would have done.
Old 05-16-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Something else that was cool was that someone in the future (can't recall who) mentioned that Bobby always felt that the wrong brother became President. He spent his whole presidency trying to live up to/do what he thought Jack would have done.
Courtney.

I watched the final episode again on Sunday.

I was even more impressed with it on a second viewing.

Amazing television ... simply amazing.
Old 05-16-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the extra info. :up;

Of course, the one ep I missed is one of the season's best.
Old 05-16-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So if Grace and Benedict get married, doesn't that make Bobby and Courtney step-siblings? That's, um, weird. Even if they got married before their parents did, what kind of weirdo parents would marry their in-law? :P

I appreciate the idea of them wrapping things up in case this is the last one, but they gave out way too much info re: Jack's life. If they come back next year, it's going to be like the Star Wars prequels.
Old 05-16-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bobby said Jack's death meant "He was the greatest man that the world would never know."

I don't think Grace ever re-married, she definitely died unmarried.

I went back to listen to Bobby's republican-ness and-independent-ness, and here how it went down, and it's open to interpretation, though I thought I was right:

Peter: I encouraged Bobby to run again. After he served the remainder of Jack's term, this time for himself. I said run as a republican if that's what your heart tells you to do, Jack would want it that way. I believe Jack, more than anyone, always expected his little brother to surpass him. He'd been proud.

Marcus: Switching parties, becoming an independent, governing by his own conscience, rather by his brother's, transformed Bobby's term in Congress, and transported him from Congress, to the governorship, to the presidency.

so, it's open to interpretation on whether Bobby's elected term in Congress was as a republican or as an independent. But I took that Bobby ran for Congress as an independent, not as a republican, though Peter assumed that would be Bobby's political party, but I think Bobby surprised Peter, and went directly for the congress seat as an independent, without the backing of the republican party. It gives his rise to political power more punch (though I'd have to listen to what the Senator said in a previous episode about their run for the white house to determine if Bobby was ever in elected office as a republican first, and then as an independent).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.