Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- "Born To Run" -- 05.11.2005

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Born To Run" -- 05.11.2005

Old 05-11-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was the worst Lost ever. I was checking the time during the Kate backstory. Totally boring.
Old 05-11-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, I'm second-guessing myself for not watching Smallville in HD over Lost in HD tonight. Oh well...
Old 05-11-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
that hospital scene was really dumb
Old 05-11-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the "Evangeline is teh hawt" crowd enjoys her presence on the show, then that's fine but she's a drag and she nearly ruins any scene that relies on her. Tonight she (and her idiotic nonsensical backstory) totally blew it. Arg!
Old 05-11-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Worst Lost ever. Kate's backstory bores the hell out of me.
Old 05-11-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kate = hot.

And how could you be bored by her backstory when the great Mackenzie Astin was featured? I kept hoping she would ask him if he still knows George Clooney or Mrs. Garrett.
Old 05-11-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by the aftermath
Worst Lost ever.
Bite your tongue.

I agree her backstory was a bit boring but it definitely picked up later. I definitely also have to look for those scans of Kate. I think there was some cleavage when she was wearing the black shirt.
Old 05-11-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't thrilled with her backstory either - I suppose they needed to show that most people don't trust her (including her mother) and those who do get killed to lead into sawyer giving away her secret but I admit that it wasn't terribly interesting. But I enjoyed the rest of the show.
Old 05-11-05, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually really enjoyed tonight's episode. Yes, Kate's backstory was a bit yawn, but I liked all of the other storylines.

When Kate wrecked the car, did she pickup the toy plane or not? It seemed as though she was going to, but then didn't? If she didn't, then how does it end up in safety deposit box 815 at the bank in (I think?) New Mexico?

We also still don't know what she's running from, what she's being accused of. I'm assuming it's for killing somebody, but who? And why was she setup? Plus where's her dad?

That crazy Walt...I really liked both his moment with Locke (saying not to open it) and with his dad (saying they have to leave).

Is next weeks the first part of a three part finale? I thought somebody said that's how it was.
Old 05-11-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Next week, we get 1 hour of Lost, and 2 hours of Alias. The following week we get 2 hours of Lost (not sure about Alias).
Old 05-11-05, 10:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Patman
Next week, we get 1 hour of Lost, and 2 hours of Alias. The following week we get 2 hours of Lost (not sure about Alias).
Yay, good thing school's done tomorrow .
Old 05-11-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kate's backstory seems to make no sense. Whereas the other backstories are ambiguous and mysterious, hers seems confused. She left the plane, but it turns up in the safe later? Who cares. And her story is the only one that has ridiculous action sequences where she's beating people up and shooting people and stuff. It's lame reliance on Hollywood pablum that all the other backstories (even Sawyer's) are way too complex to fall into. And are we supposed to have any sympathy? She effectively killed her doctor friend. Blah blah.

The other stories were definitely good: Sun achieved more emotional resonance in the tiny scene with Jack than Kate did in an hour of high school drama club crying. And an scene that has Sayid and Locke hanging around the hatch has gotta be good, even if it's too short. Plus Walt, Michael, Claire, etc... They were all great. But Kate... Man! She sucks!! At least her backstory, FWIW, is probably done for the year. If they give us more of Jack's interesting story next week (or Locke's for that matter) I'll be a happy man.
Old 05-11-05, 10:45 PM

I know he had maybe four lines, but please don't tell me one of the regulars has to die so the know-it-all science teacher can join the cast. Blech.

I miss Boone and his sister-lovin' backstory. As creepy as it was, his little squabbles with Shannon were pretty amusing. Kate's backstory is only interesting when she's committing crimes (ex: the bank robbery). In the hospital scene I was waiting for her mom to go "hey...what happened to your blond hair?" Maybe that's what was freaking her out...she didn't recognize her with the dye job. Either that, or Kate's really the monster.
Old 05-11-05, 10:47 PM
Suspended

As for which backstory we'll get next next week, based on the previews, my guess is it'll be
Spoiler:
Hurley - he was seen looking over the capsule thingy, so he'll surely see the numbers on it.

Couldn't agree more on Evangeline Lilly's over-dramatic job.
Old 05-11-05, 11:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I agree that it wasn't the strongest episode. It answered maybe one question abount what the plane meant, but also brought up several more.

Kate sure does clean up nice.
Old 05-11-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I know it's nit-picky, but I thought the dumbest thing was Kate's dye job at the beginning because it makes no sense in the show. She can't just dye her hair once and have it stay that way - her natural haircolor would start growing back without continued dye treatments. (And I doubt she has the supplies on the island to continue to dye her hair.)
Old 05-11-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I think her hair is naturally brown (so the dyejob will grow into itself).... she just had to do a quick change as she was being pursued and needed immediate identity switch (remember the license plate?)
Old 05-11-05, 11:32 PM

I assumed at the beginning she was washing out a dye job and not doing the dye job, because she grabbed something off of the maid's cart on her way in and used it. The cart would have shampoo, but I seriously doubt it would have dye on it.
Old 05-11-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts
Kate should have waited before opening that can of beer toss to her. What a waste of a good brew.
Old 05-12-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It appears that Kate was dyeing her hair back to brown (the blonde hair not being her real hair color), otherwise, her blonde roots would show now after being on the island for over 40 days.

You don't wash a blonde dye job out of your hair easily with shampoo.
Old 05-12-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it's cause I was baked and this is way off, but the event's/story of Kate's backstory seemed pretty clear to me.
Spoiler:
When Kate & Dr. were listening to the tape, at the end of the tape the boy says "you always want to run" and little Kate in a far out voice says "And you know why" This lead me to believe she's abused by her father and eventually killed him; With or without her friends help. That would explain why she's on the run & why her mother hates her. Tack on the countless felonies she racked up escaping the hospital and it's easy to see why she couldn't surrender. As to how the plane got into the safety deposit box, maybe Dr. Tom wasn't dead, just severly injured. He helped her once while a fugitive, why not again?
Old 05-12-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No wonder she's walking around with the weight of the world on her shoulders. She roped her childhood sweetheart into some scheme to see her mother and got him killed. I thought for sure that Sawyer was going to get a piece tonight.
Old 05-12-05, 01:02 AM

Spoiler:
Am I the only one that thinks that whoever is coming next weeks show will end up taking the raft/boat they just built leaving everyone on the island?

Last edited by thenetstud; 05-12-05 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
norml, great pickup. i was actually leaning that way as well.

but now we know who the "only man kate ever loved" is. have to feel for the doctor's wife and kid. did anyone else think they were brother/sister at first?

not an entirely boring backstory, but hopefully lilly will get a few more acting lessons. this is her first ever speaking role, after all.

GREAT scenes with walt. he saw something in the hatch and he wants off the island. very ominous.
Old 05-12-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was interesting that the episode didn't start off with a "previously on 'Lost.'" Being that the hatch has some backstory to it and it would have been nice to recap some of Kate's backstory.

I'm not sure why everyone picks on Evangeline Lilly on her acting abilities. I'm not a Lilly gusher (Sun's more my type), but I don't have problems with her acting either.

Kate's probably the least interesting character with a backstory. But, I like her tension with Sawyer. It's a love/hate relationship. I wonder how many times does Kate have to play "hurt" when Jack accuses her of something? Anyway, I guess it serves her that she was rejected twice. In the end, it seems like she doesn't care. And she's even getting Sun to do her dirty work for her.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.