DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Alias -- "In Dreams" -- 05.11.2005 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/422171-alias-dreams-05-11-2005-a.html)

Rogue588 05-11-05 02:19 AM

Alias -- "In Dreams" -- 05.11.2005

"In Dreams"

Spoiler:
This episode marks Jennifer Garner's directorial debut -- The mysterious man (Joel Grey) who has been impersonating Sloane resurfaces, and this time he's hot on the trail of Rambaldi. Meanwhile, shocking revelations about the real Sloane are brought to light, causing everyone to further question his true intentions. Amy Irving guest stars as Emily Sloane.

I'm sure i'm not spoiling anything by saying Jenny from the Block directed tonight's ep..

Patman 05-11-05 08:24 PM

So far, liking the headgames Marvin Sloane is playing on APU, making it seem that Arvin is the real imposter. It does make you think, hmm, perhaps...

Patman 05-11-05 09:10 PM

Directorially speaking, Garner did a yeoman-like job, not horrible, but not spectacular either.

I felt like I was watching Alias meets Total Recall towards the end. I think a better director could have wrung a little more dramatic impact from Nadia going in to rescue Arvin from his dream-like state.

Emma311 05-11-05 09:23 PM

I'm guessing that Nadia went on the auction mission, because Jennifer was directing. At first when she walked in with the red wig & the glasses I thought she was Garner. Joel Grey still creeps me out doing the Arvin impression.

aktick 05-11-05 10:26 PM

I was kind of mad that Arvin Cloane's true identitiy was already revealed...though I liked the episode overall.

I'm guessing Elena was behind most of it?

QuikSilver 05-12-05 12:50 AM

It was odd not to see Sydney out in the auction mission. If she wasn't directing the episode she would have definately been on it. I thought tonight's episode was weak and somewhat boring. Actually this whole season is boring and I am quickly losing interest with the show. I am huge Alias fan but this year is not that great. Hopefully the season finale will be fantastic.

Rogue588 05-12-05 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Directorially speaking, Garner did a yeoman-like job, not horrible, but not spectacular either.

I felt like I was watching Alias meets Total Recall towards the end. I think a better director could have wrung a little more dramatic impact from Nadia going in to rescue Arvin from his dream-like state.

Well, it was borderline horrible for me. Particularly, the scene with Syd and Jack discussing what Jack knew. I've seen that "circle the main characters" shot done before, but for some reason, this particular one made me nauseous. Also, I know it wasn't her fault, but the writing wasn't particularly interesting tonight. I'm not the type of person that always thinks about what's going to happen before it does or sits and says out loud what's coming up [I usually just power down and try to ignore something that might be obvious], but when brain-boy put the "Sweet 'n Cyanide" additive in his coffee, it was hard NOT to realize what was happening. Also, Nadia being the one to "save" Sloan was a REAL longshot :sarcasm:. Personally, I thought it would've taken a brass set to have the episode end with Sloane choosing to stay with Jacqueline and Emily.

Originally Posted by aktick
I was kind of mad that Arvin Cloane's true identitiy was already revealed...though I liked the episode overall.

Yeah, the could've dragged out the Sloane Clone storyline for a lil bit more. Or made it so the Arvin we've come to know and love actually was the clone ;)

Chew 05-12-05 06:07 AM

"I can watch TV, I just can't touch the knobs" rotfl

Third Baseman 05-12-05 06:40 AM

Garner even more sexy now that she's all directional and powerful. ;)

kantonburg 05-12-05 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
"I can watch TV, I just can't touch the knobs" rotfl

:lol: Best line of the night. The rest...meh

Doughboy 05-12-05 04:22 PM

Anyone else think it's a strange coincidence that Jennifer Garner's directorial debut on Alias dealt with dreams and hallucinations much the same way David Boreanaz's directorial debut did last season on Angel?

Morf 05-13-05 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
So far, liking the headgames Marvin Sloane is playing on APU

http://files.raycommedia.com/wflx/puzzle/pics/apu.gif ??

MrX 05-13-05 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
but when brain-boy put the "Sweet 'n Cyanide" additive in his coffee, it was hard NOT to realize what was happening.

When the camera went in for a closeup on packet gave she gave it away.

Marshall's line about not touching the knob was great

I was surprised they ended the Arvin Clone story so quickly.

Morf 05-13-05 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
When the camera went in for a closeup on packet gave she gave it away.

I think its significance was more obvious because Vaugn and Marcus didn't jump on the guy when he reached inside of his jacket pocket. I mean, come on: they are confronting a terrorist. He could have been reaching for a gun.

Dimension X 05-13-05 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Morf
He could have been reaching for a gun.

Or this thing.

http://img149.echo.cx/img149/3292/17phantasmball5lv.jpg

animalmystic 05-14-05 05:05 AM

Not a horrible episode, not great either. I also would have liked the Arvin Clone storyline to be drug out a little longer. Why not step up his character a little big and really fuck with APO? Give them some shitty crackwhore information and send them on a wild goose chase, piss in there pool, anything.

I mean geeze the guy is sooooo careful in being protected and not getting caught, armed guards anywhere, and then he gets busted like a high school kegger in the back of a pickup truck, holding the damn papers, lame. Whoever wrote this into the episode needs there diaper changed, some breast milk and a nap. lame.

I wasn't feeling the end either, the whole thing with Nadia and Sloan, I just wasn't feeling it at all, waaay over the top, thats just me though.

Jack kicks ass as usual, my favorite character still.

As for Garners directorial debut, it was average for her first time doing it. The auction scene I particually didn't like, it felt rushed and choppy to me, I mean there are millionaires in that room bidding on priceless items, and there is barely any security and they are going to let these strange people run out of the auction room, just didn't fit.

I agree about the "circle the actor" shot, while I am a big fan of that shot in general, in movies/TV I don't feel it was executed that well, and as mentioned above made me sick/dizzy. I have seen that shot done well (can't think of an example right now) and it came out great in other movies.

The whole bee/orchid thing at the beginning was interesting, but what cheesed it down was these dorky looking dudes in monk robes protecting some guy in jeans and a t shirt with very long and bulky rifles? Shit half of them were harvesting fruit from the damn trees. How lame is that? Give them bitches something automatic, I mean damn. COME ON! A priceless, exinct flower that nobody has seen in decades, the only one in existance, is sitting on some table in some cheesy greenhouse in the middle of some acerage on some 2nd rate farm?? I would have that shit locked up in some lab underground, guarded by some tanks and shit. If the dude is that important, and the facility housed Rimbaldi(sp) items/info wouldn't be a little more protected? I just don't get the logic of the show sometimes, maybe I am being too picky though.

Original Desmond 05-14-05 08:04 AM

There was something wrong seeing those monks with shotguns!

Yeah i liked Arvin clone, he was cool

B.A. 05-14-05 08:41 AM

Syd didn't go to the auction in case the Clone was there. Sloane and her discussed the possiblity of her being recognized - so they sent Nadia.

The hypnosis/dream stuff was mildly interesting since we learned about Sloane/Emily's baby, but that was about it.

I noticed Nadia didn't have her new super-duper necklace on that APO's anti-bugging devices haven't caught.

Marshall's television line was funny.

And damn them - they are still teasing us in regards to what SpyDaddy and Sloane are up to.

I'm kind of glad the Clone storyline has been resolved, he was getting on my nerves.

And I am still shaking my head @ Vaughn/Dixon for letting McCullough poison his drink - hello, could that have been any more obvious!?!

Glad they revealed what Sloane was up to w/ his WHO - you knew all along that the operation wasn't kosher, you just didn't why...

I was most excited that Sloane name-dropped McKenas Cole. There's somebody they need to bring back.