Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Palau 05/12/05

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be voted off the island on May 10, 2005?
Caryn
22.22%
"Dolphin Boy" Ian
0%
Jennifer
53.70%
"Shady Lady" Katie
16.67%
Tom
7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Palau 05/12/05

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I somewhat understand Ian's motives about taking Tom on the reward challenge. As mentioned earlier, Amber got a car when Rob took her along on the challenge that he won a car. This is why Tom and Ian made the decision that he wouldn't take Tom unless the reward involved a car. I wouldn't think that Tom would go for this because he said earlier that the goal is to win the game, not to win the rewards.

Ian simply can't come up with a good lie on the spot. It's comendable in real life but in this game, it will kill you. Tom really showed me a mental side to the game that I wasn't aware he had. He knew exactly what to do and has the ability to pull it off. The strong arm approach was exactly what he needed to do. He knows how to keep emotion out of the game. This is another aspect that eludes Ian. Really the only thing that Ian has is his physical skills and he did good by latching on to Tom. Katie doesn't have the physical aspect but she has a mental side that Ian is far from. I give more credit for a mental side to this game. I think the most deserving are Tom and Katie in the finals.
Old 05-13-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Damn - these have to be the dumbest broads ever. Do they realize that they have no chance against either of the guys 1 on 1?

WTF was Ian thinking taking Tom after they specifically decided not to do that.
Old 05-13-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
BTW...anyone notice that Jenn voted for Caryn?

Katie must ave decided long bfore TC and told Jenn

Exactly - which is why Caryn laid everything out for the jury then and there. I don't blame her.

Good to see that they finally gave away a great car instead of something lame like an Aztec.
Old 05-13-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I didn't understand this either! If you are wrong, you have to go back anyway, so why not have Jeff look at it, tell you you're wrong, THEN go back. there's an off chance you could have gotten it right. she never once had Jeff check it.

I didn't get that either. Except for a few seconds where Jeff checks it, there is no risk involved in asking for a check.
Old 05-13-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jenn's boobies were DEFINITLY paid for. They're way outta proportion with her body. She still does look nice though...

I'm rooting for Tom, but if he loses an immunity challenge again he might be gone. I'm hoping Ian and Tom go all the way to the final two together, I don't think Katie or Jenn deserves the million(Jenn definitly doesnt).

Anyone know if it's on Sunday like normal or next thursday for the two hour finale????
Old 05-13-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Far and away the best CAR ever handed out.

SO glad to see Caryn go, and sweet to see Tom win immunity even though he took a beating on the challenge...
Old 05-13-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Tom may want to watch his ass. He probably thinks Ian would pick him to go to the final 2, but I get the feeling, after last nite, Ian may be too much of a p***y to go against Katie again. Tom needs to concern himself with getting rid of Katie next, not Jenn.

BTW, after seeing Stephanie cleaned up at tribal council, I have come to the conclusion that she is not even remotely hot.
Old 05-13-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Tom may want to watch his ass. He probably thinks Ian would pick him to go to the final 2, but I get the feeling, after last nite, Ian may be too much of a p***y to go against Katie again. Tom needs to concern himself with getting rid of Katie next, not Jenn.

BTW, after seeing Stephanie cleaned up at tribal council, I have come to the conclusion that she is not even remotely hot.

I don't think Tom is under the impression that he and Ian are taking each other to the final 2.
Old 05-13-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kneijst1
Anyone know if it's on Sunday like normal or next thursday for the two hour finale????
It's on this Sunday at 8 pm.
Old 05-13-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Last night, i turned to my wife and said, "Well, there's two people that look better stranded on an island rather than when they're 'prettied up'."

The night before, we said the same thing about Kate (Evangeline Lilly) on Lost.
Old 05-13-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why did they vote out Caryn last night? I wished they would have showed this reasoning. Jenn is obviously more dangerous in any challenge and she would garner more votes if she happens to make it to the Final 2. Caryn is absolutely no threat at all. She didn't completely flip out and reveal secrets until she knew that she was going home.
Old 05-13-05, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by BDLOU
Why did they vote out Caryn last night? I wished they would have showed this reasoning. Jenn is obviously more dangerous in any challenge and she would garner more votes if she happens to make it to the Final 2. Caryn is absolutely no threat at all. She didn't completely flip out and reveal secrets until she knew that she was going home.
Say if Jenn gets to the final two: can't either of the remaining Survivors say that she just rode the coattails of Greg then me route.

and it's doubtful that Jenn could beat either Tom or Ian in a challenge. She hasn't done it yet.
Old 05-13-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by joseywales

and it's doubtful that Jenn could beat either Tom or Ian in a challenge. She hasn't done it yet.

She had a great chance last night.

However, you are probably right. The next challenge would have to be something non-physical because you know the last one will be the test of physical will-power.
Old 05-13-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joseywales
Say if Jenn gets to the final two: can't either of the remaining Survivors say that she just rode the coattails of Greg then me route.

You have the same argument for Caryn if she happened to make the final 2. Even if it is just a little bit, Jenn is more of a threat than Caryn in any challenge as well as ability to play the game. Something happened that they didn't show to get Jenn off the block.
Old 05-13-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can think of two good reasons - it's easier to get everyone to agree to get rid of her (maybe Katie would not have voted out Jenn). Also, the game is getting more serious and you probably don't want someone around giving away all your secrets. It would be tough to stay alive in the game if you can't approach someone to join because you know they'll tell others about it and possibly get you caught in a lie. (she did reveal kind of a lot before tribal council - like running to Tom and Ian)
Old 05-13-05, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by kneijst1
The Finale is this Sunday.
Old 05-13-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I was looking at the latest issue of Sly magazine and there was a little interview with Mark Burnett and he claims to be seriously considering doing Survivor someplace with cold weather conditions next (he mentioned BC and Yukon i think as possible locations)instead of the tried and true island type setting.
Amen to that.
Old 05-13-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At first I thought Ian's decision to take Tom was monumentally stupid. However, kinda it makes sense if you think it through.

Ian sees Tom as his only real competition. If the opportunity presents itself, he will eliminate Tom. He also believes that Tom is thinking the same thing. Given the opportunity, Ian believes that Tom would take him out.

Does it make sense for Ian to take Katie and leave his strongest competition alone with two other players. Of those two players, Caryn will already do whatever Tom says. This leaves Jenn as the swing vote. Caryn and Tom would have all that time to work on her while Ian and Katie are enjoying the reward.

So Ian took Tom to keep an eye on him. This allowed the three women seeth and scheme. However, Ian figured that he had a 50% chance of surviving the women (Tom vs Ian) as opposed to a 100% chance of Tom trying to take him out.
Old 05-13-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
I somewhat understand Ian's motives about taking Tom on the reward challenge. As mentioned earlier, Amber got a car when Rob took her along on the challenge that he won a car. This is why Tom and Ian made the decision that he wouldn't take Tom unless the reward involved a car. I wouldn't think that Tom would go for this because he said earlier that the goal is to win the game, not to win the rewards.
Yeah, I figured they must've been expecting a second car to be given away too. That's the only reason I could see to take Tom along.
Old 05-13-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burnett has said many occassions that Survivor wouldn't be good in a cold weather climate, but I would like to see how one played out. It would be interesting to say the least, but the hot girl factor would be severely minimized.
Old 05-13-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by movieking
Burnett has said many occassions that Survivor wouldn't be good in a cold weather climate, but I would like to see how one played out. It would be interesting to say the least, but the hot girl factor would be severely minimized.

There are usually only 1-2 good-looking girls per season, and in some instances, they are bounced pretty early, so I think this factor is really overrated.
Old 05-13-05, 11:31 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anybody else think that maybe all the assumptions that Tom or Ian would easily win vs. either of the girls in the final are wrong? Sure, it seems obvious...but maybe a lot of the jury will think, "hey, they might not have been the strongest, but they did what they had to (which is nothing) to get here." Unlikely, yes, and I hope it doesn't happen like that. But I'm not so sure Tom or Ian would win.
Old 05-13-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
Yeah, it would be interesting but really hard to pull off. For one thing the people would need to have tons more equipment provided from them thus dropping the "stranded" feel. That is if it would be snow around. If it is cold and dry, maybe it cold work, but I think more of the survivors would get sick.

"You wanna know what you're playing for? 2 giant sized bottles of NyQuil, the itching, sneezing, coughing, etc...worth playing for?"
"Ye....::sneeze:: ::cough:: ::hack::...yeah."

So now I think Jenn is going to win it all if she can make it to the final two. For one (not that they're bad people) but Ian and Tom both have targets on their backs. People seem to resent the players who run the game (whether its obvious or from the background). If Tom can pull a Coby and win all the immunities, there is no way in hell they're gonna vote to give him the money. Ian just won a car and thus in the jury's eyes "doesn't need it". Katie backstabbed the Gregg/Jenn alliance. While Jenn was a coat tail rider, she never really ruffled anyones feathers besides Colby and Jenu. When it comes to giving someone the million it seems that the jury votes for whom they don't want to see get the money rather than who they do. I can't wait to see how this one plays out.

Tom will definatley take the next endurance challenge, but he may get eaked out on the mental one (whick will come first). Sunday can't get here soon enough.
Old 05-13-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts
If I were Katie, I would vote out Jenn no matter what next week, because she has an excellent chance of making it to the final two no matter who wins the last immunity. Ian seems like an emotional wreck when it comes to her, and has a better chance against her in jury voting than Tom (I would think). Tom, likewise, has to see going up against Katie (if Jenn is voted off) as the best way to win, and he's all about winning. In an endurance challenge, I don't see anyone beating Tom unless an accident happens.

If the final three doesn't include Jenn

Colby (rightfully) has thought the whole time that the girls contributed nothing, so will hopefully vote for whatever guy is in it (although he has issues with both)
Janu: who knows what she's thinking. she may fall for the girl power thing though or maybe she'll just flip a coin or something
Stephanie: betrayed by all three, but Katie is the one that called for her ouster
Greg: again, betrayed by all three, but it's Katie who seemingly lied to him and caused the tie not to happen
Jenn: I would guess would vote for Katie, but depends on if and how she's voted out

Of course, after that disappointing jury when Jenna Morasco won, I've completely lost faith in the jury system.
Old 05-13-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
At first I thought Ian's decision to take Tom was monumentally stupid. However, kinda it makes sense if you think it through.

Ian sees Tom as his only real competition. If the opportunity presents itself, he will eliminate Tom. He also believes that Tom is thinking the same thing. Given the opportunity, Ian believes that Tom would take him out.

Does it make sense for Ian to take Katie and leave his strongest competition alone with two other players. Of those two players, Caryn will already do whatever Tom says. This leaves Jenn as the swing vote. Caryn and Tom would have all that time to work on her while Ian and Katie are enjoying the reward.

So Ian took Tom to keep an eye on him. This allowed the three women seeth and scheme. However, Ian figured that he had a 50% chance of surviving the women (Tom vs Ian) as opposed to a 100% chance of Tom trying to take him out.
It wouldn't matter what Tom did with the two that stayed behind. Ian had the immunity. There would be no reason for Tom to scheme behind Ian's back to remove whomever Ian took. The only reason he did it was because the reward was a car. Him and Tom discussed it and the only way Tom would go along is if it involved a car reward on the chance that the person going with the winner got a car as well(like Rob and Amber).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.