DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Deadwood: "Advances, None Miraculous" 5/08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/421705-deadwood-advances-none-miraculous-5-08-a.html)

MrX 05-08-05 11:29 AM

Deadwood: "Advances, None Miraculous" 5/08

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...3/deadwood.jpg

Advances, None Miraculous

Spoiler:
When Cochran delivers a dire prognosis, the entire camp stands vigil. Swearengen enlists Star and Adams to help improvise a con on the newly returned Commissioner Jarry. Andy Cramed, former Deadwood pariah, offers himself as the camp's new minister. With Martha regretting her move to Deadwood, Bullock searches his imagination for encouraging words at a critical time. Trixie pressures Alma to accept Ellsworth's proposal.

TheGodfather 05-08-05 09:18 PM

Marginal episode. Looked like just a set-up ep for the final 2 of the season.

Tommy Ceez 05-08-05 10:21 PM

Marginal poster...looks like a set up for the next two posts.

TheGodfather 05-08-05 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Marginal poster...looks like a set up for the next two posts.

:bmonkey:

HistoryProf 05-09-05 12:21 AM

yeah....this definately had the feel of a "tweener" episode....just not much there, and certainly not of the same caliber as the previous few....although that's a hard standard to maintain. can't wait for the next two though.

Supermallet 05-09-05 01:30 AM

Even when their kid is dying, the Bullocks are the most boring family alive.

Some really good one-liners between Swearengen's crew, though.

wendersfan 05-09-05 09:05 AM

I enjoyed the episode more than last week. Some of the dialogue was hilarious, and it was nice to see Sol outside the hardware store for a change.

Tommy Ceez 05-09-05 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
:bmonkey:

:duel:

Phil L. 05-09-05 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
Marginal episode. Looked like just a set-up ep for the final 2 of the season.

I'm gonna agree here. Although even a marginal episode of Deadwood is still excellent, this one *did* have a bit of a set-up or filler feel to it.

Jane continues to have some of the best dialoge.

Why did they need to get the fat guy to Joannie's?
Edit: and it never occured to anyone to put wheels on the "sled"? :confused:

MEJHarrison 05-09-05 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Edit: and it never occured to anyone to put wheels on the "sled"? :confused:

It's Leon and Con. Two of the biggest dumbasses in the camp. :rolleyes:

Which brings up another question. Al has Dan and Johnny. Dan is no Al of course, but he does seem like someone you'd want working for you. Johnny seems pretty useless, but he'll do in a pinch and can at least follow instructions. Usually.

So why does Cy have Leon and Con? Could they be any more worthless? Not only do you pretty much have to draw them a picture before they can understand even the simpliest tasks, but then you have to watch over thier shoulders to make sure they're looking at the right side of the paper. Why can't Cy find a couple goons who can at least find the front door without a map?

Turd Ferguson 05-09-05 02:29 PM

The whole thig with Richardson praying to the moose head with the antler had me laughing my ass off. When Farnum told the preacher, "Don't look to your left if idolatry offends you," I lost it.

Charlie Goose 05-09-05 02:30 PM

Maybe it went right over my head, but why is Trixie so insistent that Alma marry Ellsworth?

Tommy Ceez 05-09-05 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Maybe it went right over my head, but why is Trixie so insistent that Alma marry Ellsworth?

Because Trixie is the most pompous, annoying character on TV.

TheGodfather 05-09-05 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Because Tommy Ceez is the most pompous, annoying character on DVDTalk.

Fixed.

:cool:

Supermallet 05-09-05 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

Because, in general, Trixie likes to avoid major blow-ups. The word around camp is that Bullock and Alma were getting it on. So when Alma starts showing her pregnancy, word will spread like wildfire that it's Bullock's, which wouldn't be good for anyone. If Ellsworth marries her now, and she starts showing, people will whisper that it might be Bullock's, but it will look like Ellsworth's.

MrX 05-10-05 01:48 PM

"I'd punch that c**ksucker in the balls before I'd cup him for comfort":lol:

The look on Al's face whenever Adams talked during the metting with the Commissioner was great "Maybe you take it up the ass"

Their wasn't much story advancement but the the meeting at Al's with the commsih and the scene at Joannie's with Cochran's suggestion of what to do with the pitchforks were great.

Shannon Nutt 05-10-05 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
The whole thig with Richardson praying to the moose head with the antler had me laughing my ass off. When Farnum told the preacher, "Don't look to your left if idolatry offends you," I lost it.

I barely heard that line because I was still laughing from EB saying "Well, keep praying, Moron!" :lol:

tavarua88 05-10-05 02:13 PM

Spoiler:
so what's the deal with the kid? is he dead? he seemed to be breathing at the end of the show but it appeared that in the previews for next week's show they had already built a coffin for him

Fielding Mellish 05-10-05 02:14 PM

Death rattle.

MrX 05-10-05 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by tavarua88
Spoiler:
so what's the deal with the kid? is he dead? he seemed to be breathing at the end of the show but it appeared that in the previews for next week's show they had already built a coffin for him

On HBO's Deadwood site it says this by the link to the message board

Spoiler:
Young William was accidentally killed, what does this tragic loss mean for Deadwood?

TheGodfather 05-10-05 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
On HBO's Deadwood site it says this by the link to the message board

Spoiler:
Young William was accidentally killed, what does this tragic loss mean for Deadwood?

I guess that answers that... :hscratch:

mwbmis 07-17-23 09:58 PM

Re: Deadwood: "Advances, None Miraculous" 5/08

Big bump, but Olyphant told a story today. Apparently someone in the kid's sphere, presumably a parent, was a big pain in the ass so made Milch made a snap decision.

Crocker Jarmen 07-18-23 02:45 AM

Eh, for all I know the parents were being "pains in the ass" by demanding the kid get a bigger role, or they were pointing out, "My kid isn't supposed to work 16 hours a day, or get yelled at by creepy scumbags like Timothy Olyphant." There's so little information, why should I take for granted he knows what the hell he's talking about?

Runaway 07-18-23 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 14297943)
Eh, for all I know the parents were being "pains in the ass" by demanding the kid get a bigger role, or they were pointing out, "My kid isn't supposed to work 16 hours a day, or get yelled at by creepy scumbags like Timothy Olyphant." There's so little information, why should I take for granted he knows what the hell he's talking about?

He points out that he doesn't know what he's talking about, he shares an experience with David Milch's process as a showrunner.

andicus 07-18-23 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 14297943)

Child labour laws in California restrict minors from working more than 8 hours in a day, or 48 hours in a week.

If the parents 'were' demanding a bigger role, it sounds like they were being a PITA. It seems as if you have a personal grudge against Timothy Olyphant.

What a strange reaction to a funny anecdote.