Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 05/07/05 - H: Johnny Knoxville; MG: System of a Down

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm the first to criticize the lame lip-synchers and rappers that they usually have on the show, but System of a Down was pretty darn awful too. Especially that first song. God that was bad (imho).
Old 05-08-05, 03:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The best joke of the night was definitely the Mexican lotion made out of semen.

"It's from Mexico, so who knows what's in it! ...Oh yeah, semen. Reports say the lotion will be used to make more lotion."
Old 05-08-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always like the way a person currently embroiled in a "controversy" does a walk-on to poke fun at it...

HI-larious!
Old 05-08-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Bear City
One day, maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, but one day T. Sean Shannon will suffer for this shit. This I vow.
Am I the only person who actually LIKES Bear City? I dunno, call me crazy but I enjoy seeing bears acting like humans and getting onto funny situations! It makes me laugh!

Oh, and I was definitely during the news anchor skit. They were all laughing!

EDIT: I'm really sorry, but I'm gonna need some Bear City love. Get in here and voice your approval. You go T. Sean Shannon!

Last edited by cliffzig; 05-08-05 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-08-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
I'm the first to criticize the lame lip-synchers and rappers that they usually have on the show, but System of a Down was pretty darn awful too. Especially that first song. God that was bad (imho).
guess that kind of music isn't your cup of tea, but that song fucking kicks serious ass.
Old 05-08-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love System of a down and that song was one of the worst things I've heard from them. Not a good sign for the new album.

Overall this SNL was not too bad. Not too good either. I wonder what characters Will Ferrell with bring out of storage for his hosting gig....hopefully Inside the actors Studio and not the cheerleaders....
Old 05-08-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like SoaD, but that new song is probably the most mainstream sounding thing they've ever recorded. That will undoubtedly turn a lot of people off.
Old 05-08-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I love System of a down and that song was one of the worst things I've heard from them. Not a good sign for the new album.
That's funny, because I'm not a big fan of SoaD (though I'm familiar enough with them), but I thought the new song was solid, and their performace was great - those time-signature changes can be tough to pull off convincingly playing live. And since most people are not fans, I think that bodes well for the new album.
Old 05-08-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
The Good:
Monologue (you knew it was coming, but it was genuinely funny)
Merv the Perv (not much new here, but it is good enough to hold up)

The Okay as Filler:
The Couple that Should be Divorced (OK, but predictable)
Fallen Idol expose (a weak one-joke sketch drug out wayyy too long)
Mother’s Day Brunch (Knoxville's tranny was funny, new baby was OK, grandma was useless)
Action News (another weak joke drug out wayyy too long)
Todd Foxworthy (points for a good idea, but not very funny)

The Typical Dreck of Late:
Donald Trump (maybe funny the first time around, now just boring)
Donatella Versace (no laughs, not one, was it even supposed to be funny?)
Visitors from Outer Space (probably sounded good as a pitch, poorly written)
Weekend Update (another week of poor delivery of weak material, maybe one hit out of twenty swings of the bat, wish they would stop doing update like it was some 12 year-old girl's pajama party, Forte's bit was especially painful to watch since he drug his poor mum into it)
Telethon (hasn't been funny the last 10 times they did the exact same sketch)
Bear City (too awful for words)
Old 05-08-05, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
guess that kind of music isn't your cup of tea, but that song fucking kicks serious ass.
Which is why my post had "imho" after it, to let it be known that it was just my opinion. Something your post lacks.

But really, is that song meant to be serious? I thought it sounded like a joke song from the late 80s /early 90s, (along the lines of "I'm the Man" by Anthrax, or more like something by S.O.D., or Mr. Bungle, or even Spinal Tap) with the ill-fitting (imho, of course) time and style changes. Oh, and the repeated screaming of "fuck you" doesn't help me think the song is any more serious.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 05-08-05 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-08-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle

Action News (another weak joke drug out wayyy too long)
I thought the joke was funny, and pretty short and sweet. At no time did I ever have to say ok this is funny but its way too long. They introduced the team, and then made one anchorman joke, and then scrolled through each one to show them laughing. If they had made another joke and scrolled through each one AGAIN then I'd say it was way too long. If they did it a THIRD time then you could even say it was wayyy too long.

All my opinion of course
Old 05-08-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cliffzig
I thought the joke was funny, and pretty short and sweet. At no time did I ever have to say ok this is funny but its way too long. They introduced the team, and then made one anchorman joke, and then scrolled through each one to show them laughing. If they had made another joke and scrolled through each one AGAIN then I'd say it was way too long. If they did it a THIRD time then you could even say it was wayyy too long.

All my opinion of course
Problem for me was the joke peaked by the time the second or third person laughs, but then you have to sit through another 10 or whatever. The sketch was over a mintue before it ended. Therefore I put it into the "it was OK but felt like filler" category.
Old 05-08-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Problem for me was the joke peaked by the time the second or third person laughs, but then you have to sit through another 10 or whatever. The sketch was over a mintue before it ended. Therefore I put it into the "it was OK but felt like filler" category.
Well, I think they kind of HAD to scroll thru the entire news roster laughing after doing it the first time. It was all building up to the clock burning guy, which was slightly lame in its own right. But as a whole the joke worked for me. Better than most of the drivel they throw at us.

But hey, what do I know, I actually LIKE the Bear City skits!
Old 05-08-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never, ever watch SNL but I had to see Knoxville and SOAD. Is it just me or did they barely give Knoxville anything to do most of the time? This show needs to be shut down. I did appreciate his trying to slip the fat Elton the tongue, but the rest was damn unwatchable.
Old 05-08-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Now, from what I understand, Lindsay Lohan is going to be the finale, with Ferrell being next week's host.

My question: Couldn't they have made Ferrell the finale? That would have been miles above a Lohan-hosted finale.

(Although, I'm sure that with Ferrell's schedule, he might not have been able to do it the week after - or something to that effect.)
i'd say its a wash....Ferrell will bring the funny, but Lindsay's Lohans will bring the fun
Old 05-08-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
I never, ever watch SNL but I had to see Knoxville and SOAD. Is it just me or did they barely give Knoxville anything to do most of the time? This show needs to be shut down. I did appreciate his trying to slip the fat Elton the tongue, but the rest was damn unwatchable.
He can actually act at times, and he is pretty fearless. So what was the result? He played an effete rump humper in 4 of the 8 sketches he was in.
Old 05-08-05, 10:14 PM

Is that Fred Willard doing the narration for Bear City ?
Old 05-08-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes... Somehow, he's been reduced to narrator of crap.
Old 05-08-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by brizz
...but Lindsay's Lohans will bring the fun
Something we wouldn't be able to get anywhere else...
Old 05-08-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cliffzig
Am I the only person who actually LIKES Bear City? I dunno, call me crazy but I enjoy seeing bears acting like humans and getting onto funny situations! It makes me laugh!
EDIT: I'm really sorry, but I'm gonna need some Bear City love. Get in here and voice your approval. You go T. Sean Shannon!
You son of a bitch.

You're either with us, or the fucking bears.
Old 05-08-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
the monologue was great. the alien skit was also good (just the idea behind it), but wasn't executed well. merv the perv is always good. weekend update was ok.

so 4 things were ok/good for me. not a good percentage.
Old 05-09-05, 01:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So what's so bad about Bear City, exactly?
Old 05-09-05, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's so bad about Bear City? I think the better question is what's good about it? The skits are extremely stupid, make absolutely no sense and have not one bit of humor. They look like something that would come out of a middle-school production, although I'd hope 13-year olds could actually make something funny.

But fine, it didn't bother me the first time. The fact that episode after episode it just keeps going, so many that we're up to what, seven or more Bear City skits? The skits are absolutely horrible, and the fact that they are more frequent then anything else in SNL in recent history downright pisses me off.

And personally, having watched Saturday Night Live since I was 8 years old, which was 13 years ago, although my memory can't remember all the stinkers, I'd have to say they are the worst skits to come out of SNL. That really, really, really says something. Well, they aren't really skits in the sense that they are a part of normal SNL, since they are pre-filmed. Which makes them even worse. I've watched every single Bear City and have not laughed once, and every episode has me shaking my head at their stupidity.
Old 05-09-05, 09:08 AM

"Do-do-do-do-dooooooo...Dom-in-eo's"

/love the Trump spots
Old 05-09-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He can actually act at times, and he is pretty fearless. So what was the result? He played an effete rump humper in 4 of the 8 sketches he was in.
If you've read my review of Wildboyz season 1 or my interview with Steve-O you know that I love the homoerotic overtones of the Jackass crew. They're masters at subverting humor. But SNL has neiter the skill nor the subtlety (yes I said it) of Jackass. They missed a huge opportunity here.

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 05-09-05 at 09:55 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.