DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Third Watch *Series Finale* 5/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/421467-third-watch-%2Aseries-finale%2A-5-06-a.html)

MrX 05-06-05 02:27 AM

Third Watch *Series Finale* 5/06

It's been awhile since we've had a Thrid Watch thread so I figured one last one for the finale.

"Goodbye to Camelot"
Spoiler:
Cruz and Monroe are trapped when gang members attack the precinct station and set it ablaze; the gang leader (Wyclef Jean) is able to escape in the confusion as the fate of the station house and a dedicated officer are in jeopardy.

This show always did a great job with the big action/shootout scenes and it looks like we're going to get one last one tonight

Also some familiar faces return
Spoiler:
Aidan Quinn, Michael Beach, Eddie Cibrian, Kim Raver

Rogue588 05-06-05 03:29 AM

Since it's the season finale, I was going to start a thread on this. But, then I just figured it would be a reminder of how :mad2: I am. There are so many storylines going on, that I don't think this finale will satisfy me. :(

B.A. 05-06-05 11:14 AM

I have about a month's worth of episodes Tivoed at my mom's house.

Even though they made the show cop-centric over the last couple of years, I still loved it.

I'm sure we'll see our favorite Third Watch cast members pop up in other shows soon (new ones and old ones).

mrpayroll 05-06-05 12:22 PM

The sad thing is, the show finished regularly in the Top 40 during the season (last week though it was 48th), but that it pretty incredible considering it is on the least watched night for tv viewing, Friday.

I personally would rather them have kept the firefighters and paramedics in the mix with this percentage:

Cops: 50%
Paramedics : 35%
Firefighters : 15%

Their first year was excellent tv, but when they started to focus on one individual per show / week, I started to like it less.

But I still watched it all these years, because I had grown to like most of the characters (Bosco the most).

Chris

joselito 05-06-05 07:47 PM

They needed at least 1 more season, the show is great. I hope for a dvd release sooner or later.

LorenzoL 05-06-05 11:05 PM

I'm happy the way this show ended. Not the greatest finale but they kept it simple and although it was almost impossible, it did try to wrap all of the current characters storyline.

Nice to see some of the old characters back, no matter how brief it was :up:

MrX 05-06-05 11:09 PM

I figured Cruz was going to be the one that killed herself since she was sick but I didn't see her blowing herself up as how it would happen-eek-

I liked how they tried to wrap everything up and it was cool to see some of the old characters again.

mrpayroll 05-07-05 12:39 AM

It was a weak finale. You could tell that they were surprised that they were cancelled, because the writer & director (one of the creators), just threw everything in there to wrap things up. If you follow his logic, when Sulley was speaking at the end, it was many years into the future, since some of the characters were said to have had children.

But you could tell that the actors were holding back real tears when they were saying goodbye to each other. And I had a hard time holding back the tears.

When Third Watch was good, it was great. It's too bad that the writers went away from the original premise of 3 careers (cops, firemen & paramedics) and pretty much focused on the cops (which there are a hundred shows out there like that). They should have stayed unique, like they started and that way the shows would have been fresh, because you had a regular cast of over 10 characters to keep things interesting.

Oh well, that's one less hour of television for me next year! :(

Chris

SuperK 05-07-05 01:39 AM

I thought it was weak too. I used to watch the show alot more, this season I never really got into it. I didn't even realize it was the last show until the very end.

Rogue588 05-07-05 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
I figured Cruz was going to be the one that killed herself since she was sick but I didn't see her blowing herself up as how it would happen-eek-

Once I she kissed Bosco, I knew what she was going to do. :(

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
It was a weak finale. You could tell that they were surprised that they were cancelled, because the writer & director (one of the creators), just threw everything in there to wrap things up. If you follow his logic, when Sulley was speaking at the end, it was many years into the future, since some of the characters were said to have had children.

But you could tell that the actors were holding back real tears when they were saying goodbye to each other. And I had a hard time holding back the tears.

When Third Watch was good, it was great. It's too bad that the writers went away from the original premise of 3 careers (cops, firemen & paramedics) and pretty much focused on the cops (which there are a hundred shows out there like that). They should have stayed unique, like they started and that way the shows would have been fresh, because you had a regular cast of over 10 characters to keep things interesting.

Oh well, that's one less hour of television for me next year! :(

I don't think it was weak. It was rushed. VERY rushed. I did like the way we got to see where the characters ended up [though it's a shame we didn't get to see what happened with Doc], and I agree about the scene where they said goodbye.

It's a fucking shame NBC cancelled this. Like you said, with the amount of cast members, the possibilities/storylines were endless. Perhaps if they retitled it Law & Order: Third Watch, it would still be on..

And yes, one less hour...and perhaps a half hour on Sunday...added to one less on Tuesday...

I still miss NYPD Blue :(

Phil L. 05-07-05 09:34 AM

I thought it was a decent enough finale. I liked the ending with Sully sort up wrapping things up as far as how the characters lives were going.

The surround sound was excellent when the first grenade went off near Faith!

Of course several grenades are thrown into the station house and all anyone has to do to avoid injury is too dive aside at the last possible second. :rolleyes:

When Cruz was let into the gang house she was searched for weapons. I didn't watch all that closely, but they did not do a pat down? They checked her for guns but never noticed she had two grenades in her pockets? Poor security eh?

I had actually been enjoying this show more this season. The characters and story lines got a lot darker and more interesting I felt.
Fridays had actually turned into a reasonable evening of TV viewing for me with Third Watch coming on after Enterprise.
Those days are over now.

mrpayroll 05-07-05 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Once I she kissed Bosco, I knew what she was going to do. :(

I don't think it was weak. It was rushed. VERY rushed. I did like the way we got to see where the characters ended up [though it's a shame we didn't get to see what happened with Doc], and I agree about the scene where they said goodbye.

It's a fucking shame NBC cancelled this. Like you said, with the amount of cast members, the possibilities/storylines were endless. Perhaps if they retitled it Law & Order: Third Watch, it would still be on..

And yes, one less hour...and perhaps a half hour on Sunday...added to one less on Tuesday...

I still miss NYPD Blue :(

Yes, rushed is a better word.

And there better not be one less half hour on Sunday! :mad:

;)

Chris

mrpayroll 05-07-05 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Phil L.
I
When Cruz was let into the gang house she was searched for weapons. I didn't watch all that closely, but they did not do a pat down? They checked her for guns but never noticed she had two grenades in her pockets? Poor security eh?

Actually it was poor writing!

Chris

RocShemp 05-09-05 09:06 PM

I, sadly, missed this ep. :( Anyone kind enough to post a recap?

MrX 05-10-05 12:33 AM

Marcell's gang shoots up the station and he escapes. Cruz and Boscoe go to his hideout after Cruz stops off at her place to get some weapons. She goes in by herself and tells Boscoe to call for backup when it's time. He asks how will he know, she tells him he'll know. Cruz goes in, has a gernade and blows herself and Marcell up.

Nobody really had anything else to do.

At the end they show the futures.

Yokas is working major case and is living with Aidan Quin's character

Sully retired at the end of the episode

Holly and Carlos got married

So did Ty and Sasha, and Finney and Grace

Finney and Ty were working anti-crime, Sasha was running for city council, and Grace was teaching paramedics.

RocShemp 05-10-05 03:35 PM

Thanks MrX. Did they say what became of Bosco after the big kaboom?

MrX 05-10-05 03:47 PM

Boscoe's still in uniform on the streets

RocShemp 05-10-05 03:55 PM

Cool. Thanks again.