Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 05/06/05

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is the type of episode we were all expecting a long time ago: the beginnings of the Federation and how Earth reacts to that. Although the "no aliens" angle is pretty cliche by now (*cough* B5), it was a story that was necessary. I agree, Weller was fairly underwhelming.

So, the crew of the Enterprise saves the earth time after time, including a year long mission in Xindi space, and Trip/T'Pol expect to go unrecognized when their faces have likely been all over the news?

(Agreed with Mattrk, Galactica takes the crown for best "true" sci-fi right now)
Old 05-09-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after the pair of mirrior universe eps, this was a letdown. i was interested but not impressed with the ep.
Old 05-09-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Didn't particularly care for this episode. I like the general theme of it but I think it was poorly executed. You could pretty easily tell that Travis' slut was going to be a spy. Then the trekkie in me wonders 1) if they had that defense weapon on Mars, why didn't they use it to stop the Xindi, 2) is that kind of weapon even possible in 22nd century Earth, and 3) all it takes is throwing a clamp on it and you gain access - that's convenient (and pretty shitty defense).

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-09-05 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-09-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Then the trekkie in me wonders 1) if they had that defense weapon on Mars, why didn't they use it to stop the Xindi, 2) is that kind of weapon even possible in 22nd century Earth, and 3) all it takes to throwing a clamp on it and you gain access - that's convenient (and pretty shitty defense).
All good points. Add: 3b) An intergalactic peace conference/Federation talks and you couldn't even get a starship to guard Mars?
Old 05-09-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been told that in the deleted scenes for this ep, Robocop acquired a Plot Resequencer from some Orions that allowed him to do this.

das
Old 05-09-05, 10:34 AM

Hmmm, I enjoyed this much more than the mirror universe story line. To each his own I guess.
Old 05-09-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't particularly care for this episode. I like the general theme of it but I think it was poorly executed. You could pretty easily tell that Travis' slut was going to be a spy. Then the trekkie in me wonders 1) if they had that defense weapon on Mars, why didn't they use it to stop the Xindi, 2) is that kind of weapon even possible in 22nd century Earth, and 3) all it takes is throwing a clamp on it and you gain access - that's convenient (and pretty shitty defense).
I agree; decent episode, but not very well done. The whole plot seemed very James Bond to me.

Why would they need a powerful weapon to destroy comets, anyway?
Old 05-09-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I missed the first 10 min. How did they get the baby?
Old 05-09-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
hell, I don't think the federation had any "hit anything in a solar system from the surface of a planet" weapons in Picard's time.
of course it can't really hit anything in the system, only stuff on the side that that part of mars is facing at the time
Old 05-09-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pagansoul
I missed the first 10 min. How did they get the baby?
The opening segment was just enough to show the baby and it's ears, not much else. I think the answer to your question is something we'll see in part 2.
Old 05-09-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
of course it can't really hit anything in the system, only stuff on the side that that part of mars is facing at the time

Right. So all they would presumably have to do is launch an attack on the Terra Prime terrorists when that side of Mars isn't facing Earth (nor the moon).
Old 05-09-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I've been told that in the deleted scenes for this ep, Robocop acquired a Plot Resequencer from some Orions that allowed him to do this.

das
umm, are you joking around?

what is a "Plot Resequencer"?
Old 05-09-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
umm, are you joking around?

what is a "Plot Resequencer"?
yes, he is joking.
Old 05-09-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

pilot

yes, he is joking.
Not at all. Ask Mike Okuda. If you inverse the polarity of the Plot Resequencer and bombard it with tachyons, you can get any Warp Class ship to travel at the speed of plot.

das
Old 05-09-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Then the trekkie in me wonders 1) if they had that defense weapon on Mars, why didn't they use it to stop the Xindi, 2) is that kind of weapon even possible in 22nd century Earth, and 3) all it takes is throwing a clamp on it and you gain access - that's convenient (and pretty shitty defense).
But it wouldn't be Trek without huge, glaring plot holes that make no sense. In fact the next series should be Star Trek: That's Convenient.
Old 05-09-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
It's good to see some of the fun come back to an Enterprise thread.
Old 05-09-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Not at all. Ask Mike Okuda. If you inverse the polarity of the Plot Resequencer and bombard it with tachyons, you can get any Warp Class ship to travel at the speed of plot.

das
stop trying to confuse everyone or i'll delete your enterprise review and replace it with my own ..okay I can't really do that..but..stop confusing people!.
Old 05-09-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Was I the only one disappointed that they didn't show Col. Green in the red spacesuit? C'mon I demand the RED spacesuit!
Old 05-09-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking ahead to next weeks "grand" finale...

HERE'S a little video that should turn any true fan's stomach.

Ugh.
Old 05-09-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish

Ugh.
LOL, Bakula sounds like some fan dubbed in their own voice.
Old 05-10-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish

Ugh.
Well, then I guess I must not be a "true" fan, even though I watched every episode of TOS during its original broadcast run, not to mention seeing each of the movies at least twice in the theater and numerous more times on VHS/DVD, watching (and enjoying) all five series, and collecting dozens upon dozens of books and memorabilia on the subject.

Yep, I must not be a "true" fan, because that montage was pretty cool to me.

I also thought this screen capture looked pretty cool as well. (I linked it so as not to inadvertently spoil anything for anyone).

Last edited by RoboDad; 05-10-05 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-10-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
Well, then I guess I must not be a "true" fan, even though I watched every episode of TOS during its original broadcast run, not to mention seeing each of the movies at least twice in the theater and numerous more times on VHS/DVD, watching (and enjoying) all five series, and collecting dozens upon dozens of books and memorabilia on the subject.

Dad,

Though I can appreciate and respect your loyalty to "THE FRANCHISE"®, even the most staunch Enterprise supporter has to admit that Bakula sounds wildly out of place in the Shatner-Stewart pantheon. It's like following up two glasses of Guinness with a warm bottle of Zima.

FWIW, having been a newborn during the original TOS run, I'll defer my True Fan status to you.
Old 05-10-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Gotta agree, sounded kinda cool. Though, too little too late.

Oh, what this series could have been.

Oh and this episode should have been in the first season or something.
Old 05-10-05, 02:21 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After this episode, I'm glad its finishing, its like a suffering animal that won't die