Reload this Page >

Jack & Bobby 04/27/05

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jack & Bobby 04/27/05

Old 04-28-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack & Bobby 04/27/05

Not sure when this airs in the US, but I saw it last night. I am glad that we are getting new episodes again. I didn't really like the Bobby and Grace's storyline, but the rest of the episode was good.

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, I'll spoiler the main thing to come out of last night's episode;

Spoiler:
Missy dies!

Other than that, it was good to see Marcus and Courtney finally go on a date. I liked Jack's new chick, the redhead, and I liked that she was willing to embarass herself to ask him to go to the dance. I hope that we have not seem the last of her, and she forgives Jack (to paraphrase Ross - THEY WERE ON A BREAK!).

Here are some spoilers for the remaining episodes, so don't read if you don't want to know (refers to what happened last night as well):

Spoiler:
  • Lou Diamond Phillips guest stars as the Jack and Bobby's (or just Bobby's?) father on "Jack & Bobby."
  • Tim Robbins is the voice of the future President McCallister, Gore Vidal is the host of the documentary and Norman Lear is the elder Peter Benedict.
  • Jack will take the blame for Missy's death
  • Missy's father will condemn her in his eulogy.
Old 04-28-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
You knew Missy was going to die the whole ep, but it was still well done. Too bad they couldn't get rid of Randy.

Liked the flash-forwards w/ Bobby's son, Jack, talking about the death of his younger brother, Henry.

Grace is obnoxious, but every now and then her and Bobby have some good scenes together - like they did at Liberty Hall.
Old 04-28-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that the scene at Liberty Hall was the best one between Bobby and Grace, if for nothing more that it was one of the only times I can remember Grace actually taking a step back (figuratively and literally) to let Bobby have a moment to himself instead of trying to force herself on him.

I was hoping Randy's head was lopped clean off in the accident
Old 04-28-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the last two episodes have been very good, particularly the one last week, even though it was missing the flash forward element. Both main storylines, Missy's pregnancy and abortion and Bobby's baptism, were handled in a first rate manner.

Normally I cannot stand any show with a political theme (I could never handle The West Wing and bailed after cringing through the first two episodes; The Contender, Dave and especially The American President made me ill). I also usually can't take much in the way of religious themes and that has been an important part of more than a few of the episodes. Yet I continue to like this show.

Last edited by movielib; 04-28-05 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-28-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I missed last night's episode so thanks for the thread. I just started to watch this show and have been liking it. However, the thing that bothers me is Christina Lahti's character. She is so annoying and a horrible mother. She is just very unlikeable to me.
Old 04-28-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had no idea they were writing Missy out of the series, and am upset they killed her off. So what? Jack can hang out with that horse faced ho? Keri Lynn Pratt was the only reason I continued to watch this series in the first place, but I will give this show some more episodes before I decide if I will dump it or not. It was just a real crappy way to end that story arc! Of course, it would have had zero impact if they killed off the annoying boyfriend character.
Old 04-28-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hadn't caught up yet on yesterday's episode, but couldn't help reading the spoiler above on zap2it. I'm surprised about what happened to Missy. . .though I never liked her.

What I found very strange last week was Courtney's reaction when Missy told her she was pregnant by Jack. Courtney barely blinked an eye and didn't seem to care. What, did her underlying feelings for Jack and that connection between them just vanish overnight? And she didn't seem the least bit surprised Missy reconnected with Jack for a one-timer. And something felt missing and odd between the episode "Friends with Benefits" (4/13) and "A Child of God" (4/20).
Old 04-28-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Marcus is going to be all messed up after this night.

I was also hoping Randy would be the one, but too bad they wrote off Missy instead.

Grace and Bobby's moment in front of the Declaration of Independence was a really good moment, too bad the writing to get to that point was pretty atrocious. How many kids embarrass their parent in such a staged event like that? Bad, Bobby, Bad!

Strangely enough, I didn't care for the future story all that much, that guy playing "Jack" McCallister (Bobby's son in the future) had the reddest frikkin' lips I've ever seen on a guy.

This show's ratings are horrible, though. It got a share of 2 last night! Sigh.
Old 04-28-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
This show's ratings are horrible, though. It got a share of 2 last night! Sigh.
It's against the "Idol" results show. . .what could they expect?
Old 04-28-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
From zap2it:

FOX was first for the 9 p.m. hour with "Americal Idol" (14.4/22) and "Stacked" (7.4/11). CBS' episode of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" was second with a 7.7/12. NBC's "Revelations" continued to fall, doing a 6.1/9 for third, still better than "Alias" on ABC. UPN's "Kevin Hill" was fifth, still far outdrawing the 1.4/2 for The WB's "Jack & Bobby."
J&B is really far behind the curve in this timeslot.
Old 04-29-05, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope that this does survive beyond this season. Regardless, by the end of the season we are supposed to find out how Jack dies, so we might get closure should it only last one season.
Old 04-29-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
I hope that this does survive beyond this season. Regardless, by the end of the season we are supposed to find out how Jack dies, so we might get closure should it only last one season.
So did WB eat crow with their earlier announcement on how this show got renewed for a second season? Did they really just give up all hope on it after it got murdered in it's Sunday time slot against Desperate Housewives? This show must have found an audience at first if it was the first show WB annouced was renewed, so why give up on it now? Move it in a slot NOT against American Idol.
Old 04-29-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that WB should give this show more of a chance and definately move it to a different night or a different time.
Old 04-30-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I had no idea they were writing Missy out of the series, and am upset they killed her off. So what? Jack can hang out with that horse faced ho? Keri Lynn Pratt was the only reason I continued to watch this series in the first place,
To each his own. To me, Pratt is just another faceless blonde who can't act, while Kate Mara is very attractive and has intelligence that radiates in every scene she's in.