Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Twenty Four (24): Day 4, 12 Midnight-1:00 AM, 04/18/05

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twenty Four (24): Day 4, 12 Midnight-1:00 AM, 04/18/05

Old 04-19-05, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what's more amusing - the silliness of the show or the people who whine non-stop about it.

"I think I even slept better cause I didn't have the pure anger that 24 causes."

Old 04-19-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
If you think the mountains in Iowa/Illinois are bad...wait until you see Jack make it out there, stop the explosion and make it back to CTU in five hours flat!
Old 04-19-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
CBS increased its lead at 9 p.m. with "Everybody Loves Raymond," 10.6/16, and "Two and a Half Men," 10.6/16. FOX held onto second with "24," 6.8/10. "The Bachelor," 5.5/8, moved ABC ahead of NBC, which got a 5.3/8 from a "Las Vegas" rerun. "Everwood" returned to The WB with a 3.2/5. UPN went with reruns of "Girlfriends" and "Half and Half."
Old 04-19-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Anybody notice how much the new wuss president resembles Richard Nixon?
Old 04-19-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to everyone who constantly complains about this show, and some started back during season 1, why do you continue to watch? is it just so you can have something to complain about?

corny, unrealistic or whatever, I still think this show is as entertaining as ever. I mean no one ever seems to complain about the fact that James Bond has 50 different things built into his wristwatch to save the day or the fact that Will Smith saved the world from millions of invading aliens without breaking a sweat. I guess because its on tv that it makes a difference.
Old 04-19-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
to everyone who constantly complains about this show, and some started back during season 1, why do you continue to watch? is it just so you can have something to complain about?

corny, unrealistic or whatever, I still think this show is as entertaining as ever. I mean no one ever seems to complain about the fact that James Bond has 50 different things built into his wristwatch to save the day or the fact that Will Smith saved the world from millions of invading aliens without breaking a sweat. I guess because its on tv that it makes a difference.
I enjoy the show normally too, despite its flaws, but this season has been rapidly sawing away at the rope that suspends my disbelief.

The whole lawyer "dressed, with a signed court order after midnight, with a marshall, and at CTU" in 5 minutes is just completely beyond ridiculous. I can't even begin to rationalize it.
Old 04-19-05, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Anybody notice how much the new wuss president resembles Richard Nixon?
That's exactly what I was thinking too!
Old 04-19-05, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
Illinois doesn't even have hills
Sure we do... there's a good sized 15 foot hill in my backyard... VERY easy to conceal an entire military convoy from 150 miles up...

The whole mountain in Illinois thing made me chuckle...
Old 04-19-05, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I enjoy the show normally too, despite its flaws, but this season has been rapidly sawing away at the rope that suspends my disbelief.
I agree, I don't even remember talking back to the screen sarcastically in any of the previous seasons - this year I'm like one of the characters in "Mystery Science Theater 3000".

I never thought 24 was great TV art before, just fun, but it isn't as much fun when you feel like the writers aren't trying as hard - it's even a little insulting.
Old 04-19-05, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
I fixed your quote for you.
Yeah, because we all know the ACLU is a bright shining beacon to be proud of these days...
Old 04-19-05, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
To everyone who constantly complains about this show, and some started back during season 1, why do you continue to watch? Is it just so you can have something to complain about?
My feelings exactly. I don't understand why folks continue to watch the show if they think it's totaly ridiculous. Some people blame it on poor writing. Well, to those I ask this. You laugh at the writing. Poke fun at it's plot holes and absurdity, but your still watching. Who's winning? I say the writers because your still watching.

Me. I love it. I enjoy watching it. I roll my eyes at some of the stuff with a big smile on my face, but it doesn't take away from my enjoyment. It is a TV show you know. If you really want realistic subject matter in true real-time format watch FOX News, CNN, or MSNBC. I find it frustrating to read these threads week in and week out when the majority of the posts are negative. Maybe there ought to be two threads for the show. A bitter watchers thread and a supportive watchers thread?
Old 04-20-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonner
I find it frustrating to read these threads week in and week out when the majority of the posts are negative. Maybe there ought to be two threads for the show. A bitter watchers thread and a supportive watchers thread?

I almost started a thread this morning. The:
Twenty Four (24): Day 4, 12 Midnight-1:00 AM, 04/18/05 Appreciation Thread

Old 04-20-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with criticism. If people criticize the show, it means they care about it in some capacity. It would be boring to come here and read a thousand "that was GREAT!" responses. Once people stop criticizing and discussing the show, it will be canceled.

And obviously this isn't real life, but I think most people expect a sense of realism in a show--especially a show dealing with terrorism and also dealing with a real-time concept. More importantly, realism in a program shows a intelligent writing. Anybody can make THIS or THAT happen for the sake of convenience or because one cannot come up with something more logical.

Although this is entertainment, I want to see a good show. I want to watch a great story that makes sense, has a point, and keeps me on the edge of my seat guessing. And so when things are abitrarily thrown around on the show, and the real time aspect is tossed in the trash, it hurts the show and people's enjoyment of it. Everyone has different issues. Personally, I don't care AT ALL about little things like mountain ranges not being in between Illionois and Iowa or whatever. I care more about silly things like, "Marwan, I used the OTHER credit card at the gas station...now they know who I am" or suddenly seeing a 30 second shot that, I guess, is supposed to infer that all of the sudden the terrorists have a nuclear warhead. Or, seeing goofy Edgar interferring with CTU because he's upset about his mother while many American lives hang in the balance.
Old 04-20-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great now we are complaining about the complainers. Well I am sick of people complaining about the complaints of others...so there!

Honestly though, is it too much to ask for accurate geography? I mean they could have given an infinite amount of reasons why they didn't get good sat images, many of them silly, but at least based in this reality...I mean come on, that is just lazy writing. Now excuse me while I go set up my DVR to record next week's episode...
Old 04-20-05, 01:24 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vonner
My feelings exactly. I don't understand why folks continue to watch the show if they think it's totaly ridiculous. Some people blame it on poor writing. Well, to those I ask this. You laugh at the writing. Poke fun at it's plot holes and absurdity, but your still watching. Who's winning? I say the writers because your still watching.
oh okay... so... if you don't like what's being posted, why do you keep reading?
Old 04-20-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, I don't understand why the LOVERS of the show get so down when people post stuff that frustrates them.. Take your own advice.. IT'S A TV SHOW!! Don't take it so personally like you are the freakin writer.. I've watched since Season 1 and this is by far the worst. I would think 90% of the watchers would agree. They are cramming just WAYYYY to much stuff into one day.

The fact that there is a freaking mole EVERY SINGLE SEASON is beyond teh gay! I mean COME ON!!!

Ok.. Now for this episode's comments.

1. Where has Sarah been? Did I miss something? I thought they put her back on the floor.

2. The dude that shoots the terrorist and says "Hey he was trying to steal my boat." Did they forget that he was talking to the said known terrorist on the pier for a couple minutes? Carrying a conversation? And wth is up with not having one of those long range mic's to hear their conversation?

Those are just some of the things I can think of that others haven't already mentioned..

P.S. I don't really know why I still watch because the show to me really isn't that good anymore. I guess it's because it bothers me so much that it draws me to watch it.. I don't lose sleep like the other poster tho!
Old 04-20-05, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Although this is entertainment, I want to see a good show. I want to watch a great story that makes sense, has a point, and keeps me on the edge of my seat guessing. And so when things are abitrarily thrown around on the show, and the real time aspect is tossed in the trash, it hurts the show and people's enjoyment of it.
Originally Posted by dave-o
Honestly though, is it too much to ask for accurate geography? I mean they could have given an infinite amount of reasons why they didn't get good sat images, many of them silly, but at least based in this reality...I mean come on, that is just lazy writing.
You know someone once said that insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result. In this case it's watching '24' week after week after week hoping the writing will get better. If you do that you might be insane.

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
oh okay... so... if you don't like what's being posted, why do you keep reading?
At this point it's just to see if anyone respond to my last post.
Old 04-20-05, 10:49 AM

The thing is that all of us who are complaining have loved (or still do love to a certain extent) the show and want it to return to what made it it so appealing in the first couple seasons. I thought season 1 was some of the best tv I've ever seen and it makes me upset that the writers have fallen off so far from that. Why should we immediately give up on a show that we have put so much time into and enjoyed so much before? If this (the poor writing) continues into next season, I will give up. But the show has sucked for about 10 episodes now (I enjoyed the beginning of this season). We aren't allowed to hope for a thrilling end to this season, or hope that it returns next season?

Give me a break. Please, go make your own supporters thread where everyone says, "Man, what a show! I loved it!" That will be productive.
Old 04-20-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
How many Gitmo prisoners are US citizens?
Or were captured on American soil?
Old 04-20-05, 10:54 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Criticizing the show is just part of the fun.
Old 04-20-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
There's got to be an animated gif out there that combines the GOB, George Sr, Franklin scene from AD where the camera slowly pans into their eyes and the scene from 24 where it zooms in on a disinterested/distressed Edgar.

The acting on this show, for being as high profile as it is, really sucks.
Old 04-20-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
Illinois doesn't even have hills
It does around Galena. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't driven it

BTW, I think the 24 writers should look at a map instead of trusting the XFiles writers who put mountains in Iowa in 'Conduit'.

Last edited by nevermind; 04-20-05 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-20-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Achtung
So, this week Jack will be stopping the terrorists from what, Plan J?

It does seem like that doesnt it. I was asking myself the same thing. How many backup plans and different villians do they have coming in and out of the picture each week?
Questions: What was up with Edgar?
Where is the Secretary?
Where was Jack most of the show? I am guessing a much needed bathroom break??

The fact that there is a freaking mole EVERY SINGLE SEASON is beyond teh gay
C'mon now. Surely you can think of a word more clever than "gay" to describe something you don't like.

Last edited by riley_dude; 04-20-05 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-20-05, 06:04 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by djbrown
There's got to be an animated gif out there that combines the GOB, George Sr, Franklin scene from AD where the camera slowly pans into their eyes and the scene from 24 where it zooms in on a disinterested/distressed Edgar.
I would try, but sadly I do not know what movie this is (GOB; George Sr; Franklin scene; AD)
Old 04-20-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HN
I would try, but sadly I do not know what movie this is (GOB; George Sr; Franklin scene; AD)
Arrested Development, the best show on TV.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.