Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Grey's Anatomy (ABC) -- Series Discussion Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Grey's Anatomy -- Season Finale -- "Unaccompanied Minor" -- 5/19/11

Aside from the musical episode I thought this was the strongest season in awhile. There were a lot of episodes that echoed the early days of Greys.
Old 10-08-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Grey's Anatomy - "What Is It About A Man" - 10/8/2011

I know this show has lost any kind of following here, but this week's episode was actually pretty good.

The episode was done from the perspective of the male characters on the show, with minimal screen time for the female cast.

In other words, it was far more entertaining than the show has been for a long time.

EDIT: That should be 10/6/2011. My bad for looking at today's date.
Old 10-08-11, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Grey's Anatomy - "What Is It About A Man" - 10/8/2011

I agree. This episode made me laugh a couple of times especially the reaction to the erectile dysfunction doc that they used as an excuse. The only females I like on the show are all of them EXCEPT for Meredith and Christiana, both of whom irritate me to no end. Shepard with having everyone come by to help with his deck This was a great ep.
Old 10-08-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Grey's Anatomy - "What Is It About A Man" - 10/8/2011

The thing that's driving me nuts: Surgeons risking their hands doing carpenter work. My best friend's father was a surgeon. I remember years ago, her dad NEVER did anything that risked injury to his hands.
Maybe he used it as an excuse, I don't know... but watching this episode made me cringe.
Old 01-23-12, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the past few months I've watched the first seven seasons of Grey's Anatomy (all on DVD, from the library). Yeah, it's declining - the problem is way too many characters and trying to keep the story focused on Meredith Grey. The mass shooting at the end of last season was brilliant, was a great way to eliminate a few of the extras but there are still too many.

That being said, I liked the musical episode. A little cheesy at times but I liked how the singers were always in the background and the other people didn't notice that they were singing. The thing that about killed it for me was the adoption of the sick African child by Shepard / Grey.

I'll catch Season 8 when it hits DVDs, or on Netflix. Or on Hulu Plus, I'd like to try that out once I get burned out on Netflix.
Old 01-23-12, 04:50 PM

Been watching Grey's since it was first airing on Sunday nights after Desperate Housewives. While the show jumped the shark a long time ago, I've found the show has had a resurgence in the past season (the two-part shooting episode really was fantastic).

It doesn't really make headlines anymore but it's something that keeps my attention Thursday nights. It's probably right where it should be.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the original cast stay on board for next season. I think some of the contracts are up. I wonder how the current season will pan out!
Old 01-24-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tellybox
Been watching Grey's since it was first airing on Sunday nights after Desperate Housewives. While the show jumped the shark a long time ago, I've found the show has had a resurgence in the past season (the two-part shooting episode really was fantastic).

It doesn't really make headlines anymore but it's something that keeps my attention Thursday nights. It's probably right where it should be.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the original cast stay on board for next season. I think some of the contracts are up. I wonder how the current season will pan out!
I agree. I think the last two seasons have been outstanding.
Old 09-13-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
What the HELL happened to Gray's Anatomy in S8?

Just finished S8 and Lexie dies. Can't believe it. She was really good and was a foundation of the show as she was there for several seasons. She dies so fucking fast in S8, I couldn't even catch up to what was going on. The entire plane crash is just stupid.

Then Dane (Mark Sloan) is going to leave the show. And Teddy is leaving as well. What the hell. Can't GA keep their talent? Shondra Rhimes' writing isn't working, and if anything, Meridith and Christina should be kicked off. The S8 finale was just stupid. A bunch of whining and moaning of Meridith and Christina in the last S8 episode.

I mean seriously, why doesn't Rhimes just write a show called CHRISTINA & MEREDITH and just kill Gray's Anatomy altogether. The writing just fucking sucks and I'm not watching S9. Could've been a great show, but the writing was just retarded.
Old 09-13-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: What the HELL happened to Gray's Anatomy in S8?

It took you until that episode to start complaining? The show has definitely fallen steeply in the past few years but there are usually a few bright spots in every season that keep me watching. Plus, I'm usually loyal to most shows I watch until the bitter end.

Of all the Shonda shows Private Practice has actually been better and more consistent than Grey's. The short 1st season of Scandal was really good though. Off the Map was blah--just Grey's in the South American Jungle with less likable characters.
Old 04-24-15, 08:03 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This is the last Grey's thread I could find, so I'll put this here.

I don't watch anymore, but I'm curious as to what any viewers here thought about the latest events (4/23/15 episode)? I stopped watching around Season 7 I think. To me, it was very apparent the cast was no longer into the show. It could be seen in their acting. They obviously stuck it out for a long time due to the pay. I see a bunch of other cast members have left or were killed off. So who's really left? Meredith and that Karev? And why does everyone need to be killed off? How many personal deaths can one person encounter? This isn't 24. I know Meredith was a dark chick, but c'mon.

To me, if all if your initial cast is leaving, it is time to pack it up. I know it's a hospital that can rotate cast... but this was never like ER to me.

So after last night, and killing off who they did, it seems to really piss of the fan base. Would they have been better off ending the show 4 years ago and ending it with a fan service? Now they're going on 12 years and pretty much had to write out all the characters that people have been grown with. To me, it's just another show going on way past when it should've ended, and hurting the show overall in the long run.
Old 04-24-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Completely shocked about this one. I was really upset when I saw how this was unfolding. Honestly, he was my favorite character left on the show. Meredith never felt invested in the relationship to me. I understand her complicated issues, but she is so unfeeling that I felt their relationship was so one sided.
That said, I absolutely loved how they had Derek diagnosed himself at the end. The fact that he knew what was happening, how they didn't follow protocol, and how it was going to be to late for him was brilliant. One of the most powerful things I've seen as a point of view.
I'm basically out now. I just don't care about any of the characters except Alex. That's not enough to sustain a show for me.

One more thing. Damn, Patrick Dempsey is one hot man.
Old 04-24-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Some stupid things from the episode:

Was Derek really the last one one on the scene of the accident? Had they cleared the other cars already? It seems like he would have been gone before then but it seemed like he was the last one there. They would have likely stopped traffic on the road until everything was cleared up.

Just stop in the middle of the road to find your cell phone after you know you're on a dangerous stretch of road? Just pull over to the side of the road and look for it. Or better yet, find your damn phone before you start driving to let your wife know where you'd been.

Meredith doesn't consult with anyone from her hospital before pulling the plug on Derek? I know she checked his records and probably understood his condition, but it's been shown that her hospital has a bunch of super doctors that can find solutions that other doctors can't. She should have at least informed Derek's sister, who is a brain surgeon, before pulling the plug.
Old 04-24-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was shocked they actually went thru with it. Interested to see where they go from here. This show is a soapy guilty pleasure for me.

It's funny reading the reactions on Facebook and twitter. People super angry at Shonda.
Old 04-24-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
And why does everyone need to be killed off? How many personal deaths can one person encounter? This isn't 24. I know Meredith was a dark chick, but c'mon.
This is what I was thinking. If they wanted him off the show, why not just leave him alive offscreen in DC? If they wanted to give Merideth drama, just have him leave her for his research assistant. It just seems ridiculous the guy would have survived a plane crash, being shot and I can't remember what all else, then basically dies because he looked for a cell phone.

It would have been a more dramatic death if he had been in the initial crash, got out and saved everyone, then suddenly collapsed at the end due to internal bleeding or something.
Old 04-24-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

As long as Bailey and Richard are around I'll continue to watch. I had the episode spoiled for me by CNN's website this morning so I was prepared bu tit was really well done. The circumstances around his death were stupid. The fire department would have closed off the road and they repeatedly said there was no cell service where they were so the phone is ringing how? Plus Derek is smart enough not to go fishing for his phone in the middle of the road.

That being said, Derek's mental diagnosis was interesting though I find it sad that he died because he was at a crappy hospital. I too wondered why they didn't just leave Derek in DC and the only explanation I could think of was that they are preparing for Meredith's exit next season. She wouldn't just move to DC after all the arguing they did about it but she could eventually get to the point where staying in Seattle is too painful for her now that Derek's gone. That's all I got.
Old 04-25-15, 04:51 PM
Banned

Many, many seasons behind but saw the discussion & thought this might be a bit helpful re: the demise.

EW came today & had an interview/article on Dempsey. According to the piece, he wasn't aware until "February or March" that McDreamy would be departing for good. He sounded a bit cagey when asked about it & said they would have to ask Rhimes.

Other hints about bad blood behind the scenes were Shonda's rather cool comment (mostly about the character being missed...not the actor). EW reported no "going-away" party, the fact that he had signed a two-year extension in 2014, and the lack of comment from other cast members (as well as the six-episode absence of the character this season) in a way that implied that this turn of events was just the latest behind-the-scenes problem (Washington, Heigl).

EW didn't say directly that problems with Demsey led to the character's being written out of the show, but they said everything but that. Link to article below:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/24...-greys-anatomy