Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Grey's Anatomy (ABC) -- Series Discussion Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Meh. Rather predictable. I hope this show doesn't make any promises.
Old 03-28-05, 01:35 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll wait for a few more episodes before making any judgement, but it doesn't look too promising. The ratings of "Blind Justice" dropped significantly only after three episodes, so the same thing may happen to this one as well. After "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost", ABC hasn't had another winner so far. The only saving grace is that FOX was even worse with their new shows.
Old 03-28-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by B.A.
It appears her mother, the great surgeon, is in a nursing home w/ rather advanced Alzheimer's (?) at a very young age (55-60)...
Yeah, I'm not sure it was Alzheimer's, because of her age... maybe she had a traumatic brain injury? TBI's can leave a patient looking like Alzheimer's or dementia, at a much younger age...

Anyways. Something similar, if not Alzheimer's. Pretty sad.
Old 03-28-05, 06:46 PM

I wasn't really expecting to like this show. I'm not into hospital shows (ex. ER) or hospitals in general. I knew I had to give a chance though, because of Patrick Dempsey & Katherine Heigl. I thought Heigl was great on Roswell & in Love Comes Softly & I love Patrick Dempsey. This show had me from the opening scene with the woman waking up & not knowing his name, etc. Maybe it's cliche, but I would generally expect a doctor to have it more together, so I didn't think so. However, tackling 40 hours of work when you should have a hang over isn't as plausable. The whole he's her boss thing was given away by the previews, but I still liked it. If I hadn't seen Heigl in anything before I wouldn't have been impressed. She doesn't strike me as being a model or ex-model either, even though she's tall. I thought Sandra Oh was really good in Last Night, but I don't think they've really had a chance to show much about any of the characters yet. I was surprised when Grey basically told the pageant girl not to bother her & I liked that. I also liked the way she doesn't seem to have everything together & might flake out at any moment. I didn't like the whole sick mother thing at the end. I had previously been picturing her mother as living in another city & being really cruel & judgemental when they talk. Now I'm supposed to feel sympathy for her? Ugh. The show interested me & I'm gonna tune in next week.
Old 03-28-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Yeah, I'm not sure it was Alzheimer's, because of her age... maybe she had a traumatic brain injury? TBI's can leave a patient looking like Alzheimer's or dementia, at a much younger age...

Anyways. Something similar, if not Alzheimer's. Pretty sad.
Of course, that was a guess.

But I definitely liked the addition of that variable to storyline. It adds a little something extra.
Old 03-29-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The local ABC affliate had a news story on the 11 o'clock news saying that shot was actually their own helipad at the news station,
Yeah, I recognized it as the KOMO building right away. I think they also used the building for that teen drama that started last fall and I think is already gone. Convenient when your affilliate station is next door to the city's biggest landmark

I just got around to watching it and wasn't impressed with the show, but I'll give it another couple chances. I like the concept better than the execution. The doctors are all pretty obnoxious and unlikable, but I suppose they are trying to be realistic.
Old 03-29-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get all the Sandra Oh hate...
She's not pretty enough to get away with being bitchy. That's my guess anyway.
Old 03-29-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Roto
I don't get all the Sandra Oh hate...
She's not pretty enough to get away with being bitchy. That's my guess anyway.
I don't think most of us care about how she looks (though you're probably right, if she was pretty no one would care if she was stuttering and running into the wall). Her looks (pretty/ugly-wise) aren't the problem. Her age is. She looks too old to be just starting her intern rotations.
Old 03-29-05, 01:29 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Roto
Yeah, I recognized it as the KOMO building right away. I think they also used the building for that teen drama that started last fall and I think is already gone. Convenient when your affilliate station is next door to the city's biggest landmark
Last night I felt like ABC was shoving the cancellation of "life as we know it" in my face. With the mother from life... on DH and all the shots of the space needle in GA, I was really missing life...
Old 03-29-05, 03:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Emma311
If I hadn't seen Heigl in anything before I wouldn't have been impressed. She doesn't strike me as being a model or ex-model either, even though she's tall.
She's probably more of a local/regional model, maybe having done work for a magazine based out of the area. You don't have to look like Heidi Klum or Josie Maran to be a local model.
Old 03-29-05, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Emma311
If I hadn't seen Heigl in anything before I wouldn't have been impressed. She doesn't strike me as being a model or ex-model either, even though she's tall.
Ironically, Heigl is a former model.
Old 03-29-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the first episode. Not great, but good - and hopefully it will get better.

Oh, and I can't believe how good the ratings were. Amazing.
Old 03-29-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They will drop off very quickly, I bet.
Old 03-29-05, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by redinger
Ironically, Heigl is a former model.
I know you probably won't believe me, but while posting that I thought "someone will probably tell me she was a model, because so many of these actresses start out as models", but I didn't feel like going to a Roswell site & looking up a bio on Heigl. Anyway, despite that I really like Heigl & I hope she gets more to do on the show in the future.
Old 04-02-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i thought it was great
Old 04-03-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Grey's Anatomy - 04/03/05

"The First Cut Is the Deepest"

Spoiler:
]A young woman clings to life after a brutal attack, leaving the surgical staff optimistic; Meredith puts her career on the line to save a newborn in the hospital nursery.

Cast: Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, James Pickens, T.R. Knight, Sandra Oh, Katherine Heigl, Chandra Wilson, Isaiah Washington, Justin Chambers, Kate Burton, Alice Lo, Scarlett Lam, Robin Pearson Rose, Kerry Carney, Dennis Gubbins, Kerri Higuchi, Stephen Blackehart, Stacey R. Hinnen, Elise Robertson, Kylie Dragna.
Director(s): Peter Horton.
Producer(s): Shonda Rhimes, Mark Gordon, Betsy Beers, Jim Parriott.
Writer(s): Shonda Rhimes.

Original Airdate: April 3, 2005.
Old 04-03-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

#1 reason to watch this show - Katherine Heigl and her (.) (.)

Last edited by bigjim25; 04-03-05 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My opinion of this show after watching the first two episodes...very very dumb.
Old 04-03-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I sort of like the self-effacing humor from the Meredith's day with a penis (severed from a rapist when his victim bit it off - you go, girl!)

Will Izzy get into trouble for sewing up the illegal Asian alien?

Ellen Pompeo has a high likeabilty factor that shined through in this second episode.

Sandra Oh's Christina was more of the acerbic characters she's played in supporting fashion, or she's growing on me.

I don't understand how George got through med school. He seems so naive about everything.

Anyhow, the politics of the different levels in a hospital have had its groundwork laid with this episode.
Old 04-03-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good episode.

I saw the promo that they will have Boston Legal back in April 24th. That means they will only be showing Grey's Anatomy for 2 more weeks. Anyone know if GA will be moving to another time slot?
Old 04-04-05, 12:41 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I liked it

Ellen Pompeo reminds me of Renee Zellweger
Old 04-04-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe Renee without the lemons.
Old 04-04-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
I don't understand how George got through med school. He seems so naive about everything.
I mostly like the show, but this is one of the things that bugs the hell out of me.

Sandra Oh didn't bother me as much this ep, but I still don't really care for that bit of casting.
Old 04-04-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ellen Pompeo has a high likeabilty factor that shined through in this second episode.
I find just the opposite. None of these characters are likable, and the situations are completely uninteresting. I've watched it twice now, and that's enough for me.
Old 04-04-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I liked the way Bill Simmons described her....attainably hot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.