Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Deseperate Housewives: why such a long break?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Tonight is not a new ep., but a repeat. Before that it has been roughly a month since the last ep., but now it is a week before we get another one that is actually new. I find it interesting that they are choosing Easter Sunday to air their first new ep. in five weeks.

I cannot help but wonder why they are taking such a long break as ABC only aired two new eps. during sweeps month and then waiting a month before bringing it back with a repeat. I don't know of many shows to take this long of a break, aside from Angel Season Four where they aired an ep. in October before putting it aside until January and putting it on a different night. But that was a cult following show where they could do such a thing, this is a major hit with many audiences and it would be a shame to take such a long break without any indicator as to when the new eps. will resume.
Old 03-20-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's because ABC wants to have all new episodes during May sweeps, plus February had the Oscars that took up one of their weekends (I forget the other special event program at their timeslot on Sundays).

It's always like this for a lot of shows, March is never chock-full of new episodes.
Old 03-20-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Will this truly be five weeks...? I knew it was LONG, but I was guessing more like three or four weeks so far...maybe four.
Old 03-20-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I know - it's an overly long break. (I'm used to it for South Park, but not a major network show.)

ABC is taking a huge chance on such a young show that they don't lose some of their audience.
Old 03-20-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I agree dhmac. My guess is that they intend to really publicize their new eps. , thus making it more of an event when they air. Also, I am wondering if they want American Idol to run most of its course before returning as it really does draw substantially more ratings. It does not compete directly, but not having it around will give DH a higher position in the ratings line-up.
Old 03-20-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Huh? AI airs on Tuesdays and Wednesdays nowadays, not Sundays.
Old 03-21-05, 02:50 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know why people make such a big deal about the long breaks. Would you prefer them to constantly alternate new episodes with repeats? I'd rather have a block of new episodes than have a repeat every other week.

That Angel season 4 break was the longest I can think of for a regular show, but it was only 2 weeks longer than what's normal for the WB. This past winter I think every single WB show took a 4-6 week break. It's kind of weird but I like it. It's nothing compared to the 5 month break every show takes over the summer or the year-long break of an HBO show.
Old 03-21-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
It's because ABC wants to have all new episodes during May sweeps, plus February had the Oscars that took up one of their weekends (I forget the other special event program at their timeslot on Sundays).
Superbowl was the other Sunday - wisely a new episode was not run up against that.
Old 03-21-05, 08:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't know anything about this show, but usually when there's a long break it's because the show is "on hiatus." Which means that it's just about to be cancelled, but the network plans to burn off a few more episodes before pulling the plug.

Really, I'm not surprised. You know a show is in trouble when your biggest "star" is best known for co-starring with Howie Long in Radio Shack commericials.
Old 03-21-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are not going to cancel this show anytime soon. It's one of the highest rated show on TV. Sometimes it even beat CSI!
Old 03-21-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't know anything about this show, but usually when there's a long break it's because the show is "on hiatus." Which means that it's just about to be cancelled, but the network plans to burn off a few more episodes before pulling the plug.

Really, I'm not surprised. You know a show is in trouble when your biggest "star" is best known for co-starring with Howie Long in Radio Shack commericials.
There's no way this show is in danger of cancellation, it's one of the biggest hits for ABC in years. Patman got it right, after Feb sweeps it's repeats for a lot of shows to save up new ones for May sweeps. Happens every March.

I don't think this will cause it to lose momentum either. Chicks are having freaking parties centered around viewing the show.
Old 03-21-05, 08:57 AM

Old 03-21-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

Thanks for derailing yet ANOTHER thread, jerk-off.
Old 03-21-05, 12:00 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually I can't believe Teri Hatcher is single in real life. This show really saved her bacon.
Old 03-21-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I guess you all can't read Groucho's sarcasm. The problem with the tv schedule in the United States is that they only make 22 or 24 episodes for a 56 week year. You are going to have long breaks if you start your season in September or Early August and end in May. I actually like how Fox doesn't start until the end of October/beginning of November to air some of their major shows. This shortens the long breaks in the schedule. The is network programming tv not HBO where they air a new episode every week until the season ends. This has been done many times before. We just have to live with it. Everwood will be gone for at least seven weeks until new episodes air.
Old 03-21-05, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Old 03-21-05, 09:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by rfduncan

rfduncan, this type of comment is uncalled for. If I see anything like this again, administrative action will be taken against your account.