TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boston Legal - 03/13/05

Old 03-13-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Boston Legal - 03/13/05

"Let Sales Ring"

Spoiler:
Milton Bombay (Carl Reiner), an old legal adversary of Denny Crane and Shirley Schmidt, wants to be frozen and stored in a cryonics institute.

Cast: James Spader, Monica Potter, Rhona Mitra, Mark Valley, Rene Auberjonois, Candice Bergen, William Shatner, Chi McBride, Carl Reiner, Betty White, Kerry Washington, Ryan Kelley, Christina Chang, Victor McCay, Ray Laska, Tyrees Allen, Richard Portnow, David Beckett, Glenn Taranto.

Director(s): Hubert De La Bouillerie.
Producer(s): David E. Kelley, Bill D'Elia.
Writer(s): David E. Kelley.

Original Airdate: March 13, 2005.
Old 03-13-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk God

I wonder how much different this will be from when DEK used the same issue on a L.A. Law episode.
Old 03-13-05, 10:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

"You can go to Canada and freeze you balls off"

I loved the scene when they were walking down the hall talking to the press and the guy was saying he was the greatest lawyer of all time and Denny mumbling behind him. "No he's not, I am, Denny Crane!"

The stories themselves weren't very interesting.
Old 03-13-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was having a hard time staying awake during this ep. Shatner did a good job (as usual), the stories just didn't have that much pizzazz to them.
Old 03-13-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was entranced by Kerry Washington's upper lip.

Denny counting backwards in the background was hilarious.

Good to see Chi McBride get a little love from DEK.
Old 03-13-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Made me wish Boston Public was still on the air.

Not too shabby of an episode considering it is all a dream of an autistic boy!
Old 03-13-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Patman
EVERYTHING about her entrances me.

I hope she stays on as more than a "Special Guest Star".

The cases seemed to fly by fast and Betty just breezed on, dropped a line and split...I was also hoping that someone from Winslow would be sitting in the courtroom supporting Steven. It would've been nice had they mentioned some of the past plotlines on Boston Public.

Was it me or did Spader look directly into the camera when he mentioned that networks were censoring their scripted dramas...

For those that might not know...

"Boston Legal" rewrites original script on media bias

LOS ANGELES When the ABC drama "Boston Legal" takes on the issue of alleged media bias in tomorrow's episode, it doesn't name names: specifically Fox News Channel.

In the original script, a high-school principal blocks Fox News from being aired on campus television sets because he considers the channel biased and inflammatory, according to the network.

But ABC asked executive producer and writer David E. Kelley to remove references to Fox; instead, there is criticism of TV news in general and one network, which is unidentified, in particular.

"We did make some changes to the script, per ABC's request, but managed to tell the same story in what we believe is an even more subversive and provocative way," Kelley spokeswoman Stacey Luchs said Thursday.

The revision represents business as usual, the network said. "While real-life situations are often used as original inspiration for fictionalized programming story lines, it is a long-standing industrywide practice not to use real people or actual events."

Messages left Thursday night seeking comment from Fox News Channel were not immediately returned.

The Emmy-winning "Boston Legal" stars James Spader and William Shatner. In tomorrow's episode, a student seeks an injunction against the TV ban enacted by his principal (Chi McBride, reprising the role he played on another Kelley series, "Boston Public").

"Look, I know all the networks pander," McBride says in one scene, but he goes on to condemn one in particular that he claims promotes "a political agenda."

Fox News may be safe from ABC, but it's taken hits on a network closer to home. "The Simpsons," which airs on corporate sibling Fox TV, has repeatedly poked fun at the news channel. "It's such an easy target the jokes write themselves," "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening once told The Associated Press.

(In a related corporate-relationship oddity, "Boston Legal" is produced by David E. Kelley Productions in association with 20th Century Fox Television, also part of News Corp.'s Fox family.)

The "Boston Legal" episode does retain a reference to "Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism," filmmaker Robert Greenwald's documentary accusing Fox News of Republican bias.
Old 03-13-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually the first time I've watched BL. Really enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of Spader, but never had the time to catch this.
Old 03-13-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Too much Candice Bergen. I thought she was just going to be a guest star on a couple of episodes, I didn't realize she was going to take over.
Old 03-13-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Patman

You and me both.

Not one of the funnier episodes, but I liked Alan's closing argument a lot. I've been saying it is about making money for years.
Old 03-14-05, 12:29 AM
Banned

Would the principal of Winslow High block a Sunday night drama that often and overtly promotes its producer's political agenda?
Old 03-15-05, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Legolas
Would the principal of Winslow High block a Sunday night drama that often and overtly promotes its producer's political agenda?
That point was not lost on me either.

Loved Alan's close as well. Great stuff
Old 03-15-05, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I pretty much hated this episode. I wanted to enjoy the anti-censorship stuff, but it was presented in such a smug, self-important, backhanded way that I just couldn't. The kid saying "your country thanks you" at the end to further beat home the agenda was just too much.

Oh, and what happened to the funny? I watched The Practice for morose and heavy-handed preaching for 8 years. I've had my fill. I watch Boston Legal because it's fun. Bring back the fun.

das
Old 03-15-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There was that "Lori's life as a popsicle" comment by the Betty White character...
Old 03-15-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I wanted to enjoy the anti-censorship stuff, but it was presented in such a smug, self-important, backhanded way that I just couldn't. The kid saying "your country thanks you" at the end to further beat home the agenda was just too much.
The way the ep was going, you knew that the kid was going to say something completely retarded as soon as Shore won the case for him. DEK is too predictable w/ his bullshit.
Old 03-15-05, 04:00 PM

DEK is making it very hard for me to stay interested in this show. His political ranting seems to be getting worse, or maybe because this is such a light hearted show it stands out more.

I would wipe my ass with that script if it came across my desk.
Old 03-15-05, 07:41 PM

I don't get where everyone complains about DEK's "political rantings". I think he has always, on this show, The Practice, and L.A. Law, used the courtroom cases as a way to illustrate divisive issues. He'll have a case that involves a big issue and the two lawyers will argue the points. It often makes you think of things you never considered, or makes you question where you stand on an issue. Sometimes you agree with the "star", other times you might agree with the opposing lawyer.

Just because you may not agree with some of the issues that he raises in the episodes doesn't make them a rant. I think it would only be a rant if they only showed one lawyer making their arguments but not the other side.

I had no idea that Chi McBride was on this episode so when they first showed the "high school principal" on the witness stand it was a cool surprise. I bet he would have argued about the Fox News thing with Guber.
Old 03-15-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I don't get where everyone complains about DEK's "political rantings". I think he has always, on this show, The Practice, and L.A. Law, used the courtroom cases as a way to illustrate divisive issues. He'll have a case that involves a big issue and the two lawyers will argue the points. It often makes you think of things you never considered, or makes you question where you stand on an issue. Sometimes you agree with the "star", other times you might agree with the opposing lawyer.

Just because you may not agree with some of the issues that he raises in the episodes doesn't make them a rant. I think it would only be a rant if they only showed one lawyer making their arguments but not the other side.

I had no idea that Chi McBride was on this episode so when they first showed the "high school principal" on the witness stand it was a cool surprise. I bet he would have argued about the Fox News thing with Guber.

They are usually weighted to the liberal side (even with arguments on both sides), so it is easy to see why people complain.

Also, I don't think L.A. Law and Picket Fences had the in-your-face politics (heavily weighted to one side) like this show does.

Regardless, as das said, this show is at its best when it brings the comedy. I would certainly nominate it for a Best Comedy Emmy.

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-15-05 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-15-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I don't get where everyone complains about DEK's "political rantings". I think he has always, on this show, The Practice, and L.A. Law, used the courtroom cases as a way to illustrate divisive issues.
This is the first court-room show of his that I have watched (I watched the first few years of B.P. before bailing), so I don't know how he was w/ his earlier work, but his political "rants" just seem so heavy-handed on the show. Sometimes it doesn't bother me if the rest of the ep is good, but if the ep is a snoozer then his rants really stick out and annoy me (even if I agree w/ them).
Old 03-15-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the political rantings of the last couple years on his shows have been far more in your face than earlier seasons of the Practice
Old 03-15-05, 09:48 PM

Well...then it should be no surprise that each and every BL thread will have rants about it's rants.

I wonder what Spader's character thought about his case?
Old 03-16-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jadzia

It's not about agreeing with them or not. The West Wing was my favorite show on television for 4 years, I'm a huge Sports Night fan, and I have much love for numerous DEK shows. I have no problem with left-learning, or even a heavily left-biased approach. In the last couple of seasons of The Practice, however, and some recent episodes of Boston Legal, it's gone too far. It's not about the opinion, but the heavy-handed, annoying, and preachy way in which it's being presented. In the past, DEK's been much more able to get his political philosophy across through well-crafted scripts and good storytelling. Whatever the reason, his more recent approach is just annoying. He's preaching to the audience and beating home his points over and over and over again taking shot after shot after shot at the conservatives, and whenever he has his lawyers represent a conservative viewpoint, he goes out of his way to make it known that the lawyer is disgusted with having to do it. Even when I agree with him, it makes my eyes roll sometimes. Take this last episode for example. He had a great anti-censorship thing going, but it got muddled underneath the FNC-bashing, and he couldn't let it go without taking one final shot with that kid after the case.

In any case, just bring the funny, and I'll be happy. But when there's very little funny and very much one-sided political jibber jabber, I get annoyed. As I said before, we got enough of that from The Practice. I'd say the same if it he were pushing conservative views, but he'll never do that, so it's not an issue. Just bring the funny.

das
Old 03-16-05, 12:55 PM
Banned

What's the point of Kerry Washington's character? Brad and Lori were barely in this last episode.
Old 03-16-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

What's the point of Kerry Washington's character? Brad and Lori were barely in this last episode.

Diversity?
Old 03-16-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
What's the point of Kerry Washington's character?
To bring teh hot?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.