DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Think of a TV character and waste some time... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/413676-think-tv-character-waste-some-time.html)

maxfisher 03-11-05 07:33 AM

Think of a TV character and waste some time...

http://www.smalltime.com/dictator.html

Don't think this has been posted before, but apologies in advance if it has. It's a pretty clever website. Some of the questions are so specific it feels like it's cheating, but it's still kind of fun. I was fairly impressed when it guessed that I was thinking of George Bush when he appeared on the Simpsons.

riley_dude 03-11-05 05:36 PM

This was going around at work the other day. I managed to stump it a few times.

Luther Heggs 03-11-05 05:40 PM

"Well, I win this round. You are player number 6 to pick Martha from Spaced, and what a clever choice it was! You almost had me for a while, but you let your guard down. Don't worry, it happens to all of us sooner or later. Please play again, and next time I'll be ready for you, Martha from Spaced."
Thought I'd stumped it for a second there.

adamblast 03-11-05 06:00 PM

There are at least 3 different threads leading to Uncle Arthur from Bewitched.

Evidentally, people differ over whether or not he was gay and used "jazz hands." :lol:

Daniel-A 03-11-05 07:08 PM

Yeah adamblast. once I found 7 ways to get to Max from Dark Angel I was through with it. For someone with a lot of time just click no. Never answer yes. :)

tonyc3742 03-11-05 07:09 PM

"Well, I win this round. You are player number 2 to pick Ted from Too Close for Comfort, and what a clever choice it was! You almost had me for a while, but you let your guard down. Don't worry, it happens to all of us sooner or later. Please play again, and next time I'll be ready for you, Ted from Too Close for Comfort."

How many questions does it ask before it gives up and you 'win'? There was another similar thing that was 20 Questions. in fact, here it is.
http://y.20q.net/anon

Super X 03-11-05 07:49 PM

I was starting to think I had it, but, after an interminable number of questions...

I win again! You are player number 3 to have chosen Oliver from Coupling. I knew you were Oliver from Coupling from the start, but I strung you along for a while to make it seem more sporting. I hope that one day you will overcome the powerful sense of humiliation that you now feel. Until then, good luck.

Have to try again!

Triple S 03-11-05 07:56 PM

Damn it's good...

It wasn't easy, but I won this time. You are player number 2 to have chosen Annyong from Arrested Development. Annyong from Arrested Development was a tough one, but I've had a lot of practice. Thanks for giving me something to do.

Darq 03-11-05 08:30 PM

It was posted about 6 weeks ago. A search for "dictator" or "sitcom" will return this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406449

Here's my post from that thread:

The reason that non-sitcom characters are included, and why the questions are so poorly formed is because this is a simple yes/no tree/database that is grown by the USERS themselves. If it gets to a point where it guesses your character INCORRECTLY (either through bad questions, bad answers, or simply a lack of data), it asks you for a yes/no question that could be answered by your character, and future people (who followed your EXACT path) will get one MORE question (your question) before the program offers a guess.

Because this is such a huge database tree, you could even answer one of the questions WRONG. If enough people did the same thing as you in the past, but eventually supplied a question leading back to your character, then this system would still get it right eventually.

My assumption is that even though it might say "You're person # 187 to choose (Judy Jetson, for example)", all that REALLY means is "You're person #187 to follow this exact path". You could probably answer the questions DIFFERENTLY as Judy Jetson, have the program figure you out still, and get the response "You're person # 88 to choose Judy Jetson" this time.

Me007gold 03-11-05 08:40 PM

It wasn't easy, but I won this time. You are player number 713 to have chosen Alf from Alf. Alf from Alf was a tough one, but I've had a lot of practice. Thanks for giving me something to do. Please visit again soon.

that thing is damn good. i cant stump it

Super X 03-11-05 08:49 PM

Well, I did just manage to beat it. I was answering the questions as Neil from "The Office" (figured I could get it on a supporting character) and it guessed me as Wesley Wyndham-Pryce (from that classic sitcom "Angel"!).

DRG 03-11-05 09:38 PM

Man, this thing is diverse.

Well, I win this round. You are player number 2 to pick Lauren Reed from Alias, and what a clever choice it was! You almost had me for a while, but you let your guard down. Don't worry, it happens to all of us sooner or later. Please play again, and next time I'll be ready for you, Lauren Reed from Alias.

I win again! You are player number 10 to have chosen Optimus Prime from Transformers. I knew you were Optimus Prime from Transformers from the start, but I strung you along for a while to make it seem more sporting. I hope that one day you will overcome the powerful sense of humiliation that you now feel. Until then, good luck.

It wasn't easy, but I won this time. You are player number 8 to have chosen Kelly Clarkson from American Idol. Kelly Clarkson from American Idol was a tough one, but I've had a lot of practice. Thanks for giving me something to do. Please visit again soon.
It didn't get the cougar from 24, at least not the way I answered, so I had to add him. :)

TheGodfather 03-11-05 09:41 PM

I win again! You are player number 14 to have chosen The Chief from Get Smart. I knew you were The Chief from Get Smart from the start, but I strung you along for a while to make it seem more sporting. I hope that one day you will overcome the powerful sense of humiliation that you now feel. Until then, good luck.

Took about 9000 questions but they got me.

sailor_moon 03-11-05 10:23 PM

It wasn't easy, but I won this time. You are player number 3 to have chosen Mulder from X-files. Mulder from X-files was a tough one, but I've had a lot of practice. Thanks for giving me something to do. Please visit again soon.

This is fun.

jaeufraser 03-11-05 10:38 PM

First try I won. I picked Grace from Will and Grace. They guessed Julia Roberts. Same hair though!

ClarkKentKY 03-11-05 10:51 PM

:lol: I win again! You are player number 144 to have chosen Balky from Perfect Strangers.

Triple S 03-11-05 11:12 PM

My recent losses...

Wow...

It wasn't easy, but I won this time. You are player number 4 to have chosen Edge from WWE. Edge from WWE was a tough one, but I've had a lot of practice. Thanks for giving me something to do. Please visit again soon.

MovieMaster11 03-12-05 01:11 AM

This is really awesome thanx!

Bronkster 03-12-05 01:26 AM

I stumped it with the Chief from Get Smart! Cool game!

worrywort 03-12-05 02:09 AM

You are player number 13 to pick Boner from Growing Pains

Jason 03-12-05 09:08 AM

I stumped it with the Crew Chief from the new Battlestar Galactica, but since he's a relatively new character, it's not too surprising that it didn't know this one.

jpdude 03-12-05 11:17 AM

Holy Shit i can't believe this....

I guess that you are Keith Partridge from The Partridge Family! Am I right?

I thought i had picked a good one too!

cartman 03-12-05 11:29 AM

Unless I unknowingly answered a question incorrectly ("do you have red hair"), I stumped it with Angela Chase from My So-Called Life.

edited to add: Well, I just did it a second time and even though the first question was "are you a female", it ended with:

"I guess that you are Arnold from The wonder years! Am I right?" :lol:

jpdude 03-12-05 11:30 AM

i may have found a mistake, unless my memory isn't worth a damn. Didn't Jamie Sommers, The Bionic Woman, work for the OSI (Organization of Scientific Investigation)....NOT the FBI? When i answered the question if she worked for the FBI or not, and clicked NO....i won......Then i went back and clicked YES and it identified that character. Am i crazy in thinking that she didn't work for the FBI?

tasha99 03-12-05 11:51 AM

Wow, it won. I was the third person to pick Captain Blackadder.