DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Fat Actress: Season Premiere 03/07/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/413089-fat-actress-season-premiere-03-07-05-a.html)

candyrocket786 03-07-05 09:42 PM

Fat Actress: Season Premiere 03/07/05

So did anyone catch this on Showtime?

I thought it was funny as hell. Looking forward to the future guest star moments. (especially the Kevin Nealon episode).

"Show me what's in Veronica's Closet" :lol:

tommyp007 03-07-05 10:08 PM

Great show. I loved the lamp coming on when he smacked her ass!

Luther Heggs 03-07-05 10:46 PM

I never, never thought I'd hear "Bubble Butt" by M.O.D. again, much less in a TV show. Couldn't catch all the episode, but what I saw was pretty funny.

nightwing82 03-08-05 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
"Show me what's in Veronica's Closet" :lol:

LOL that was the best scene.

I really enjoyed the episode.

RandyM 03-08-05 07:07 AM

If you don't have Showtime, Yahoo is streaming the first episode here

Tandem 03-08-05 07:40 AM

She has the most annoying, whinny voice I have ever heard. It might end up driving me away from what would otherwise be a good show.

Funny, though, I thought her voice was cute when she was younger (and thinner). Double standard on my part, I guess.

movieking 03-08-05 08:13 AM

Since yahoo is streaming it, I am guessing that it is light on the cursing, sex, etc?

rfduncan 03-08-05 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
Since yahoo is streaming it, I am guessing that it is light on the cursing, sex, etc?

...and NUDITY! -eek-

Giles 03-08-05 08:42 AM

I don't know what I think, I thought it was amusing, but it wasn't roll down funny.

Geofferson 03-08-05 08:58 AM

Same here...I chuckled a time or two, but wasn't all that impressed. I'll give it another go next week.

SFranke 03-08-05 09:44 AM

I watched 12 minutes, but by that time I realized I could watch Curb Your Enthusiasm instead.

maingon 03-08-05 12:09 PM

"She has the most annoying, whinny voice I have ever heard" I agree, right away they have her crying and already i was ready to turn it off. Cant stand this women. How gives a crap that shes fat she doesnt need a tv show just cause shes fat. some reviews said they considered this one of the worst shows ever.

and its like her in the begginning beging for a role in a john woo movie. thats all she must be doing is begging. cause shes not a likely actress.

and the whole show is "look how fat she is" every minute someone is saying shes huge, shes fat, shes a blimp, even the music lyrics are saying how fat she is

SFranke 03-08-05 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by maingon
"She has the most annoying, whinny voice I have ever heard" I agree, right away they have her crying and already i was ready to turn it off. Cant stand this women. How gives a crap that shes fat she doesnt need a tv show just cause shes fat. some reviews said they considered this one of the worst shows ever.

and its like her in the begginning beging for a role in a john woo movie. thats all she must be doing is begging. cause shes not a likely actress.

and the whole show is "look how fat she is" every minute someone is saying shes huge, shes fat, shes a blimp, even the music lyrics are saying how fat she is

I agree. I referenced CYE because both have a similar improvisational comedy format, but in light of your post, I'll add the strength of CYE is Larry David, who is an individual who lives in an irrational world, whereas Kirstie Alley is a pathetic character begging for acceptance. CYE's hero is admirable, whereas FA's is deplorable.

Tommy Ceez 03-08-05 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by evitagen
I agree. I referenced CYE because both have a similar improvisational comedy format, but in light of your post, I'll add the strength of CYE is Larry David, who is an individual who lives in an irrational world, whereas Kirstie Alley is a pathetic character begging for acceptance. CYE's hero is admirable, whereas FA's is deplorable.

I havnt seen Fat Actress, but Larry Davids character is ANYTHING BUT admirable...LD in CYE is about as despicable a narcisist as you can get (which is what also made the Seinfeld characters great)

RaraFemina 03-08-05 01:26 PM

Showtime had a free preview long weekend on DirecTV, so I decided to give it a try. I loved it!
I thought it was hilarious when she was clipping the Lane Bryant plus size tags off of her clothes and putting the expensive lables in a size 8 on instead.
And that scene at the beginning when she's on the scale...been there, done that, but John Travolta never called me :(

Fok 03-08-05 02:01 PM

I still have a problem with Kirsty Alley, she's kinda promoting that being a fat ass is funny. Oh well, what a way to milk it -ohbfrank-

Zwerchfell 03-08-05 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs
I never, never thought I'd hear "Bubble Butt" by M.O.D. again, much less in a TV show.

wow really I guess I missed something :)

j123vt_99 03-09-05 07:57 AM

"did i f&ck John Travolta"? i thought it was pretty good.. the supporting cast is pretty good. i like the agent (the guy from mad tv) and lauren wilson (from daily show)

Fok 03-09-05 03:15 PM

I'm still sick of hearing her all over the radio saying how fat she is.....there are lots of fat asses in the world, get over it and lose some fucking weight!

riley_dude 03-10-05 02:13 PM

I got to see it only because Showtime was previewing the episode for free.
I liked it. Loved the nod to Savaik from Star Trek. I'd like to see them mock that Trek thing a bit more. Perhaps have her showing up at a Convention or something and no one recognizing her.
What happened during the last few minutes. My tivo cut off when Kirsty's Manager called the executives about the guy slapping her and they were about to say something to the Black guy and it ended.
Wish I could see more of these. Oh well.

nightwing82 03-10-05 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
My tivo cut off when Kirsty's Manager called the executives about the guy slapping her and they were about to say something to the Black guy and it ended.
Wish I could see more of these. Oh well.

They basically just made fun of him for being with Kirstie and Kirstie's agent used the "slapping" as a way to get NBC to give her a holding deal for a new show.

movieking 03-10-05 03:04 PM

Very CYE like, but I actually like Larry David even though he is unlikeable, whereas I unlike Kirstie Alley, even though she should be likable.

Emma311 03-10-05 04:42 PM

Did anyone else see Bruce Willis on Good Day Live today? He was joking & said "I wanna gain 400lbs. & have a show called Fat Actor." I thought it was kinda funny at the time, but now when I read it back it doesn't sound that funny.

mkdevo 03-11-05 10:15 AM

watched it last night.. my impression is that it's Curb without the funny.. had a few laughs, but overall.... 4/10...

i may give another episode a shot..

Giles 03-21-05 12:36 PM

talk about fast TLA has a listing for the first season on DVD, tentative street date: May 24th

http://www.tlavideo.com/details/prod...1&sn=1&v=1&g=0