Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Questions/discussion about TIVO/DVRs (Directv)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-07-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got one of these bad boys a few days ago. And I kind of want to start a discussion thread about it, and other people's experiences with it.

So I'm setting up my season passes and everything seems fine, but when I look at the schedule, I notice that The Shield season 4 premier isn't there (even though I set it up for a season pass). So I manually select it form the guide. But why didn't it get picked for a season pass? Does this happen often? I've heard some horror stories from friends where the DVR wouldn't record things that they were positive that was on schedule. Do you guys have any horror stories? And how reliable is the "guide" and it's schedule?
Old 03-07-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a new DirecTiVo: guide information "trickles" in. From my experience, it's best to manually record things for a few days (maybe even a week) and let everything fill in. I would wait to Season Pass The Shield until later in the week.
Old 03-07-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

also, make sure about your season pass rankings. could be that something is ranked higher than the shield and is playing at the same time.
Old 03-07-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like as good a place as any...

Can you just record with these things like you would a VCR or DVD recorder, or do you have to have the monthly service?
Old 03-07-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Certain Tivo boxes (Toshiba DVD combo for one) has a basic service. You can record all you want for free like a VCR. They also give you 3-day schedules to record by show. Season pass and networking options are disabled.
Old 03-07-05, 06:00 PM

yeah, that's definitely the case on the TOshiba combo box. one of my friends bought that... I can't remember my options when I first bought my stand-alone box... if i could go with the basic service... but of course, the expanded schedules and season pass are worth the extra money.
Old 03-07-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
also, make sure about your season pass rankings. could be that something is ranked higher than the shield and is playing at the same time.
It can record two programs at the same time - so that's not a problem. And it wasn't recording anything at that time anyways.

I'm actually pretty stoked on the deal I got - It was only a one-time $100 payment, and no monthy dues. Totally worth it.

But I still don't know why it wouldn't have scheduled The Shield - it showed up in the guide, so the programs are "filled out".
Old 03-07-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
...I'm actually pretty stoked on the deal I got - It was only a one-time $100 payment, and no monthy dues. Totally worth it...
How did you get this ? Directv stopped offering "lifetime" service on their DVRs a long time ago.
Old 03-07-05, 07:16 PM

I'm guessing the one time 100.00 fee was for the DTivo box.
Old 03-07-05, 07:18 PM

ah, man, i didn't even see you had the direct TV box. 2-tuners, so it can definitely record two at a time. my stand-alone obviously can not.
Old 03-07-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
It can record two programs at the same time - so that's not a problem. And it wasn't recording anything at that time anyways.

I'm actually pretty stoked on the deal I got - It was only a one-time $100 payment, and no monthy dues. Totally worth it.

But I still don't know why it wouldn't have scheduled The Shield - it showed up in the guide, so the programs are "filled out".
Did you setup the season pass for first run only and if so is the episode you are looking at the season premiere? Also when you told Tivo to record the show did it give you a message about what show wouldn't be recorded? Also how quickly after setting the season pass did you check the to do list? Sometimes it takes several minutes to refresh the to do list but shows the episode as schedueled to record under the season pass itself.

If you haven't already check out www.tivocommunity.com also.