DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Carnivāle "Lincoln Highway" 3/6/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/412894-carniv%E0le-lincoln-highway-3-6-05-a.html)

auto 03-06-05 07:30 PM

Carnivāle "Lincoln Highway" 3/6/05

Ben and Jones learn that justice is "for the birds"; Ruthie's visitor leaves lipstick traces; Lila tries to reach Lodz; Sofie finds salvation in her work; Iris takes Eleanor on a picnic; Balthus misses a big chance; Stroud keeps the morphine flowing; and when chaos breaks out during a public speech, Justin shocks the crowd with forgiveness.

Last couple of episodes have been great. Hope this one keeps it up.

sven 03-06-05 09:07 PM

Dont mess with Gabriel boys!

Geofferson 03-06-05 09:21 PM

So far...so good.

Josh-da-man 03-06-05 10:21 PM

Jonesy getting tarred and feathered... that's gotta FUCKING hurt. Goddam, I about tossed my cookies when Libby started peeling his skin off.

It was fairly obvious that Ben was going to heal Jonesy (and his leg, too; that's sort of been a sword hanging over the series since the beginning) but it was handled well.

Interesting turn with Iris... maybe she isn't Lady MacBeth after all.

A bit disturbed by the preview... only three episodes left? I hope they mean "this season." I'm rather dubious about just how strong HBO's support is for this series. Hope I wasn't reading too much into it.

Ted The Bug 03-06-05 10:29 PM

It might just be the last 3 episodes ever. HBO hasn't renewed it yet.

So Sophie is the "Omega". What's an Omega? It looks like she is immune to Justin's powers. Does that mean she's immune to Ben's as well?

Is Iris really planning on betraying Justin, or just trying to make Norman think she is?

Look's like Ben will have some muscle after all when he finally gets to Stroud, now that Jonesy and Libby are with him!

dave-o 03-06-05 10:31 PM

Wow, was that a great episode. I think this one was my favorite of the series. Great story line, perfect musical score, and some great shots. And to think I almost gave up on this show after last years 'finale'. I have truly enjoyed this show so far this year. I hope they give it at least one more season to flesh out the story and finish things off completely.

Dalvin 03-06-05 10:52 PM

HBO would be idiots not to renew this one for next year. 2006 could be a huge year for HBO. Deadwood, The Sopranos and Carnivale? Damn that's impressive!!! Sunday originals couyld look like

8pm-Deadwood
9pm-Sopranos
10pm-Carnivale

Sure hope they renew it.

1998Nole 03-06-05 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug

So Sophie is the "Omega". What's an Omega? It looks like she is immune to Justin's powers. Does that mean she's immune to Ben's as well?

I don't think she is immune to Ben's power as Ben was able to clear her Momma's voices before they got it on in the truck.

Josh-da-man 03-07-05 12:22 AM

For anyone who's interested, here's an interview with Daniel Knauf about the series, and he gives some vague clues as to Sofie's place in the show's mythology.

Also, I've read elsewhere, on other boards, that the series is designed to run six seasons -- with three two-season trilogies. So the first and second season comprise the first major act, and seasons 3 and 4 will be the middle act, and the final two seasons will be the conclusion. Providing, of course, that HBO is inclined to go the distance...

sven 03-07-05 12:24 AM

with three two-season trilogies.
You may want to rethink that phrase :p

coladar 03-07-05 12:27 AM

Another excellent episode. It's enjoyable every time someone in the Carnivale learns of Ben's powers, which seems to be going on during every single episode lately. Well written, and I nearly jumped out of my seat when the tar got shoved in Jonesy's mouth. Ouch.

Lodz spelt Sophie's name as Sofie, didn't he? After I finished writing the stuff in spoilers below, it dawned on me when I was spelling it with the ph.

Don't think there is much cause to spoiler this, but I will just in case... Omega:

Spoiler:
An Omega is the end. Alpha and Omega have been used quite a bit to signify a beginning and an end. Alpha being the first letter in the greek alphabet and omega the last.

The symbol omega can stand for "the best person in a group of people. The Omega person, the leader the most valued and accepted member." according to Wikipedia. Wikipedia also mentions some stuff I don't quite get about an Omega Point theory being the end of the universe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Point

Spoilers regarding speculation now, be forewarned:

Bottom line, what I reckon it means is Sofie is the end of this battle between good and evil. Just speculation, but I think it means that she is neutral . Neither good nor bad, but the one to be left standing after Good and Evil finish this generational fight with neither continuing for a next generation.

She'll either defeat both Ben and Justin, aid one of them in defeating the other and eventually do something that ends the generational good vs. evil fight or something along those lines. The definition of an omega person certainly fits at the very least, because I'd say with the "Sofie is the omega" it's been made clear she is the key figure that will decide the fight between Ben and Justin.

Burnt Alive 03-07-05 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dalvin
HBO would be idiots not to renew this one for next year. 2006 could be a huge year for HBO. Deadwood, The Sopranos and Carnivale?

Well, if it gets renewed, it probably won't air again until 2007.

das Monkey 03-07-05 07:32 AM

• Josh-da-man •

A bit disturbed by the preview... only three episodes left? I hope they mean "this season." I'm rather dubious about just how strong HBO's support is for this series. Hope I wasn't reading too much into it.

I felt the same thing as the preview aired. God, I hope they keep this show around. It stumbled a bit early in this season rushing a few too many things, but it's still one of their best shows, and IMO (one that's probably in disagreement with the forum) it's superior to <i>Deadwood</i>.

das

Geofferson 03-07-05 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
but it's still one of their best shows, and IMO (one that's probably in disagreement with the forum) it's superior to <i>Deadwood</i>.

Not me. ;)

Dalvin 03-07-05 05:26 PM

I just started watching it, and it more cerebral than Deadwood. How the heck does HBO continue to crank hit after hit after hit? If only there TV Boxsets weren't so damn expensive I would own them all.

Josh-da-man 03-07-05 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I felt the same thing as the preview aired. God, I hope they keep this show around. It stumbled a bit early in this season rushing a few too many things, but it's still one of their best shows, and IMO (one that's probably in disagreement with the forum) it's superior to <i>Deadwood</i>.

das

Yeah, I agree that it's superior to Deadwood (though I'd also add that Deadwood has been superior to the last three seasons of The Sopranos.)

HBO's in kind of an interesting position with their programming in that they don't rely on ratings and ad revenue, so they certainly could continue supporting programming that doesn't generate high ratings and qualifies as a cult hit. As long as keeping Carnivale alive doesn't cost them subscriptions, which I don't think it would.

Carnivale's biggest obstacle, I think, is that it isn't a buzz series. It doesn't receive much critical acclaim (TV Guide had a short, dismissive review of the season opener, and has virtually ignored it since), and even less media attention.

And it seems to me that HBO desires media attention, awards, and reviews more than actual ratings. They coast on the "buzz" from The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, and (probably to a slightly lesser extent) Deadwood to increase their profile. And, unfortunately, Carnivale doesn't seem to be providing much of it. :(

Still, it's my sincere hope that they support the series and let it come to its planned conclusion. I'd think they could some that big Sopranos money at it to keep it alive if need be.

Burnt Alive 03-07-05 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And it seems to me that HBO desires media attention, awards, and reviews more than actual ratings.Carnivale doesn't seem to be providing much of it. :(

Well, aside from it's five Emmys...

Josh-da-man 03-08-05 02:51 AM

Five Emmys in technical categories.

BloodyDrake 03-08-05 10:00 AM

thats 5 more then most shows get..winning any emmys is a win for recognition

Supermallet 03-08-05 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also, I've read elsewhere, on other boards, that the series is designed to run six seasons -- with three two-season trilogies. So the first and second season comprise the first major act, and seasons 3 and 4 will be the middle act, and the final two seasons will be the conclusion. Providing, of course, that HBO is inclined to go the distance...

Frankly, I'm quite surprised to hear this. It seems as if the show is moving pretty quickly towards a conclusion here. Of course, that's presuming that if Ben and Justin meet, one will defeat the other. But still, to steal from Return of the King, the board is set and the pieces are moving. I can barely imagine half a season's worth of material being left, let alone four more seasons.

auto 03-08-05 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Frankly, I'm quite surprised to hear this. It seems as if the show is moving pretty quickly towards a conclusion here. Of course, that's presuming that if Ben and Justin meet, one will defeat the other. But still, to steal from Return of the King, the board is set and the pieces are moving. I can barely imagine half a season's worth of material being left, let alone four more seasons.

As he said, the first two seasons would comprise the first major story arc. There would obviously be closure. The series cound then venture off in a totally new direction.

Tommy Ceez 03-08-05 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by automator
As he said, the first two seasons would comprise the first major story arc. There would obviously be closure. The series cound then venture off in a totally new direction.

Although Im not exactly sure what year it is in Carnevale, it seem were about 10 years from the nuclear test at Trinity, which plays a role in the end of this story (I think)

Could we have Ben defeat Justin (who's formenting an anti-Semitic movement in the US) only to be drafted and the show shifts to WWII europe with ben meeting evil in the old world?

BJacks 03-08-05 08:05 PM

Carnivale started off as one of my least favorite HBO shows (I was let down when nothing really happened by the first season finale). This second season, though, has been truly phenomenal, and the last episode was one of the better eps I've seen of any show lately. It really had everything. Can't wait to see where the show goes, and even if this IS the last season, I'll be more than content with what they gave us.

sven 03-09-05 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Although Im not exactly sure what year it is in Carnevale, it seem were about 10 years from the nuclear test at Trinity, which plays a role in the end of this story (I think)

Could we have Ben defeat Justin (who's formenting an anti-Semitic movement in the US) only to be drafted and the show shifts to WWII europe with ben meeting evil in the old world?

Well would be sweet.

Burnt Alive 03-09-05 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Could we have Ben defeat Justin (who's formenting an anti-Semitic movement in the US)

:hscratch: