DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Come on! Let's do it - Scrubs or Arrested Development? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/412815-come-lets-do-scrubs-arrested-development.html)

The Antipodean 03-06-05 02:06 AM

Come on! Let's do it - Scrubs or Arrested Development?

My two favorite sitcoms on TV these days without a doubt - but, if a gun were held to your head, which is your favorite of the two? And why?

The Antipodean 03-06-05 02:07 AM

Incidentally, I'll go with "Scrubs," but just barely. The mix of comedy and drama is more evocative to me I think in the long run, while "A.D." sometimes gets just a LITTLE too clever for its own good. But it's a hard call to make.

Decker 03-06-05 02:11 AM

AD. It's funnier and more complex. The flashbacks of AD seem like a better, "more realistic" device than the fantisies of Scrubs which are sometimes TOO silly. Don't get me wrong, Scrubs is friggin' great; it's just not as good as AD. And for any fence-sitters, may I present "My Life In Four Cameras" as an arguement for AD over Scrubs -- that was a dreadful episode, the sort of momentum-killer that AD has never had yet.

jkberden 03-06-05 02:27 AM

AD, however I am biased since I have never seen Scrubs. I would find it hard to believe that it is funnier than AD though. Is Scrubs really that good? I must say that the only reason I started watching AD was due to this message board. I see Scrubs getting alot of similar praise. Don't tell me I have to start following another TV show.

Patman 03-06-05 02:33 AM

I went with Scrubs over AD as for me, Scrubs' humor and drama isn't a one-trick pony over 4 years, but is still quirky enough to mine laughter and pathos from the cast of characters on the show. AD's cast of self-involved characters are better in small doses.

MrX 03-06-05 03:00 AM

I voted for AD. Scrubs is good, just not as good as AD. I love the running gags on the show, there's still blue paint on the walls at the house, and Gob is one of, if not, the funniest characters on TV today.

nny 03-06-05 03:14 AM

So is this for this season or for their entire run? AD is my favorite show this season, but AD had some weak episodes last season. Scrubs amazes me with it's consistent quality and has never had a bad episode. Even the sitcom episode had some great moments that elevated it above the worst AD episodes. Although it's a shame that that episode didn't succeed in stopping people like Sierra Disc from calling Scrubs a sitcom.

Jackskeleton 03-06-05 03:32 AM

I thought the opposite of NNY, This season, scrubs just wasn't the same. There needed to be more J.D/Elliot flings again or something. It just felt like something was missing. But I have a deep love for Arrested Development.

It's always ontop, the jokes are ever expanding and laid nicely through the season. The cast flows a whole lot better than SCRUBS simply because all of them bring an common ground of teh funny where as in Scrubs I can really only say I get a crack all the time out of Dr. Cox, J.D Elliot and Turk.

finally

If you weren't my cousin....

I, uh... need you to make some fake IDs for me and Maeby"..."Preferably French... I like the way they think.

movieking 03-06-05 06:10 AM

I'll go with Scrubs, since it mixes drama well within its comedy. Both are fantastic, and are head and shoulders above anything other comedy on TV

B.A. 03-06-05 08:00 AM

the Scrubs

NORML54601 03-06-05 08:06 AM

I had to go with AD though I do love both. AD has a lot more running gags and subtle jokes which gives it a higher replay value.

silentbob007 03-06-05 08:15 AM

I guess I need to give AD another shot ... I watched the first two episodes and just did not get into it. I LOVE Scrubs.

Third Baseman 03-06-05 08:51 AM

Arrested

lwhy? 03-06-05 09:06 AM

I pick Scrubs. I really like AD but I think Scrubs is a better show. Scrubs has Dr. Cox, J.D., the todd, Ted, and the janitor enough said.

tasha99 03-06-05 09:47 AM

I picked Arrested Development because of the hilariousness of Gob and Tobias. I like both shows a lot though.

LasVegasMichael 03-06-05 10:17 AM

AD. No contest. Scrubs is funny, but AD is hilarious.

LBCrazyFool 03-06-05 10:38 AM

I voted for Arrested Development only because I have never seen an episode of Scrubs. I do have Scrubs season one preordered and am looking forward to getting into it once it is released on DVD.

Luther Heggs 03-06-05 11:22 AM

Arrested Development by the widest of margins. I appreciate that alot of people like Scrubs and so many people have tried to get me into it but I find it nothing but irritating. Rather flense a rabid cat than watch it.

The Antipodean 03-06-05 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by nny
Although it's a shame that that episode didn't succeed in stopping people like Sierra Disc from calling Scrubs a sitcom.

Didn't realize you were the high holy authority on genre labeling. It's comedy with situations in it, hence it's a "sitcom." Sure, it's got dramatic moments, but it's far more comedy than drama, and I wouldn't call it a "dramedy."

Dr_Evil 03-06-05 11:34 AM

Scrubs is by far my favorite. I think AD falls flat more often than Scrubs.

das Monkey 03-06-05 11:58 AM

Decker

AD. It's funnier and more complex. The flashbacks of AD seem like a better, "more realistic" device than the fantisies of Scrubs which are sometimes TOO silly. Don't get me wrong, Scrubs is friggin' great; it's just not as good as AD. And for any fence-sitters, may I present "My Life In Four Cameras" as an arguement for AD over Scrubs -- that was a dreadful episode, the sort of momentum-killer that AD has never had yet.

I agree with all of this with one notable addition: <i>Arrested Development</i> is never going to make me cry (except perhaps from laughing too hard), nor will it ever attempt to. It's the important distinction that makes these shows so difficult to compare. Perhaps I'll pull a Wilbon and call this one a "push".

das

sven 03-06-05 12:53 PM

Arrested Development by a mile. But Scrubs over every other network sitcom by six miles.

I didnt see it in here but did anyone else see in TV guide where Zach Braff is gonna be on an upcoming episode of AD?

Jackskeleton 03-06-05 12:58 PM

yeah, that news was sort of overshadowed by the news that they were scaling back how many episodes they were ordering this season.

boredsilly 03-06-05 02:35 PM

Both are great funny shows, but I prefer the silliness of Scrubs with a dab of drama sprinkled on top. It's really Turk though. He's just so damn funny. I've been singing his homemade Sanford and Son song ever since that ep aired.

Decker 03-06-05 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I agree with all of this with one notable addition: <i>Arrested Development</i> is never going to make me cry (except perhaps from laughing too hard), nor will it ever attempt to. It's the important distinction that makes these shows so difficult to compare. Perhaps I'll pull a Wilbon and call this one a "push".

das

Well, Seinfeld never made anyone cry, either. It didn't stop TV Guide from picking it as the #1 TV show of all time. Scrubs does a nice job of mixing a little human drama in with the comedy without going overboard into manipulation (cough MASH, cough). AD's goal is to make you laugh and to make you pay attention. I do both. A lot. Having said that, if Fox cancels AD, I'll be bawling like a baby.