DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Come on! Let's do it - Scrubs or Arrested Development? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/412815-come-lets-do-scrubs-arrested-development.html)

Decker 03-06-05 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Both are great funny shows, but I prefer the silliness of Scrubs with a dab of drama sprinkled on top. It's really Turk though. He's just so damn funny. I've been singing his homemade Sanford and Son song ever since that ep aired.

"In fact get me a handi-wipe!" rotfl

nny 03-06-05 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I thought the opposite of NNY, This season, scrubs just wasn't the same. There needed to be more J.D/Elliot flings again or something. It just felt like something was missing.

Um...that's pretty much how I feel. I also feel there was a good 10 or so shows better than AD during it's first year. I'm disappointed with Scrubs this year, but Scrubs at it's worst is better than any other show at it's worst.

das Monkey 03-06-05 04:04 PM

Decker

Well, Seinfeld never made anyone cry, either. It didn't stop TV Guide from picking it as the #1 TV show of all time. Scrubs does a nice job of mixing a little human drama in with the comedy without going overboard into manipulation (cough MASH, cough). AD's goal is to make you laugh and to make you pay attention. I do both. A lot. Having said that, if Fox cancels AD, I'll be bawling like a baby.

It wasn't a criticism, but pointing out the fundamental difference between the two shows.

das

Decker 03-06-05 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
It wasn't a criticism, but pointing out the fundamental difference between the two shows.

das

Oh, I see. Anyway, there are 99 shows on network TV more highly-rated than AD. Scrubs is one of very few of them in the same league as AD; it feels weird to have to take a shot at it.

BTW : While I regularly bemoan the poor ratings of AD, just as unfair is the lack of recognition of Scrubs. What sort of a f-ed up world is it where Zach Braff wins a Grammy before his first Emmy nomination? The complete absence of any major award nominations for Scrubs is just bizzare to me.

GuessWho 03-06-05 05:35 PM

I saw Scrubs once, and never saw AD... so Scrubs gets my vote by default

Patman 03-06-05 09:23 PM

I get more laughs in any 10 minute segment of Scrubs than I did out of the 2 episodes of Arrested Development tonight (2 times of LOL), which I felt tried too hard for the setup for the laughs at the end of the second episode. I feel good about my vote for Scrubs over AR.

vaporware 03-06-05 09:31 PM

Scrubs

MrBob 03-07-05 01:31 AM

The honest answer is, what ever show I'm watching is my favorite. They are that close and that good.

Chew 03-07-05 06:04 AM

Don't watch Scrubs, but I doubt it would get my vote anyway.

COME ON!

B.A. 03-07-05 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I've been singing his homemade Sanford and Son song ever since that ep aired.

Whew - glad to see I am not the only one. :lol:

Groucho 03-07-05 07:34 AM

Arrested Development. I tried to watch Scrubs, but it wasn't "new viewer friendly." Most of the jokes were references to previous episodes, so I was completely lost. I imagine AD would have the same problem, but I was lucky enough to have watched that from the beginning.

snoogins 03-07-05 08:02 AM

BAH!

Scrubs all the way!!

BDLOU 03-07-05 08:19 AM

I agree with das. What are we comparing? Since they aren't similar type shows, it's hard to say either way. If they were canceling one and I got to pick then I would have to keep AD.

Fielding Mellish 03-07-05 08:48 AM

[THE TODD]Better-Than-AD-By-Just-This-Much High Five!!![/THE TODD]

Geofferson 03-07-05 08:52 AM

Arrested Development

Bronkster 03-07-05 10:33 AM

You evil bastard.

Went with AD, but it wasn't an easy choice!

SunMonkey 03-07-05 10:44 AM

Arrested Development

BabiG 03-07-05 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bronkster
You evil bastard.

Went with AD, but it wasn't an easy choice!

Sophie's Choice Five...

riley_dude 03-07-05 11:42 AM

Wow. This is a tough one. Surpised at how many people watch one and not the other (same type of humor). You have the same type of humor with Reno 911...anyway, I would have to say....Arrested Development though they are neck and neck.

B.A. 03-07-05 11:46 AM

We should hunt down the ONE person who said they don't like either one and...

...STONE THEM!!!!!

THEN BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!!!!!

AND THEN...!!!!!

garmonbozia 03-07-05 11:47 AM

Arrested Development by far.

Meteu185 03-07-05 11:54 AM

Went with Scrubs due to Dr. Cox's continued ability to call JD a different female name everytime he sees him.

It's a tought decision, though. AD is excellent, but I don't watch it during its normal run - I waited last year until it came out on DVD and intend to do so this year, as well. I think it's a show that just works better on DVD than it does on a week-to-week basis. Scrubs, though, I look forward to on a weekly basis. It's always fresh and wonderfully acted.

Both shows, though, are underrated in the Nielsen ratings and Scrubs deserves some award respect.

MGBGT 03-07-05 05:10 PM

Scrubs

BTW, better poll choices for these would have been:

Scrubs or Malcolm in The Middle?
Arrested Development or Curb Your Enthusiasm?

I respect the concept for Arrested Development, but I sometimes feel like I'm watching an overlong super bowl commercial. Scrubs is a much better fit for me--A much better microcosm of cartoon-inspired comedy than Ally McBeal ever was.

thecrazydude 03-07-05 09:20 PM

Arrested Development

DJLinus 03-07-05 09:25 PM

I've thought about this and am going to give Scrubs the edge, although both are excellent shows. AD started out great this season, but the last few episodes haven't been up to its insanely high standards (still good, though). Scrubs has been great all season so far, IMO.