DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Just finished Arrested Development....AWESOME!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/412807-just-finished-arrested-development-awesome.html)

Dalvin 03-06-05 12:09 AM

Just finished Arrested Development....AWESOME!!!

You guys weren't wrong, I love this damn show so much. I just finished it(along with Deadwood Season 1) and I am now preparing to enter into my next TV BOX SET. I think I am ready to get into a great TV show, where each episode builds off the next(i.e. long storyarcs.....I love). I am thinking of these as my next few choices:

1) The Wire-Haven't seen i episode, but I have heard its possibly one the best show HBO has ever done. The language in Deadwood didn't bother me, so I take itThe Wire won't bother me either?

2) Sopranos-NEver seen an episode either, but looks very compelling!

3) Alias- Have yet to delve into this series, and I heard that season 1 ends many episodes on a cliffhanger, which appeals to me.

Given the three choices, which would you select and why?

ClarkKentKY 03-06-05 12:22 AM

Welcome to the club. Season 2 is even better. You're in for a treat.

Of the 3 you mentioned i'd say Sopranos. But what about The Shield?

jkberden 03-06-05 12:47 AM

I felt the same way after watching season 1 of Arrested Development. Truly one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. As far as what to watch next, I would pick the Sopranos, especially if you are into the whole gangster genre. In fairness, I have never seen The Wire or Alias yet. They are both on my to-watch list. However, season one of the Sopranos is about as good as TV can get in my opinion. Simply Brilliant!

MrX 03-06-05 12:56 AM

I vote for The Wire - It's the best show on TV right now. The language in Deadwood is probably worse so it shouldn't be a problem

As far as the others, Alias season 1 is good also and I'm one of the few people who doesn't care for the Sopranos

Count Dooku 03-06-05 01:40 AM

ALIAS
-------- cause you get to look at this:
http://images.usatoday.com/life/_pho...ias-inside.jpg http://www.katso.fi/mediabank/images/211687_kiso.jpg http://www.bodog.com/images/non-sports/alias.jpg

story 03-06-05 02:15 AM

I'm a big AD fan. I picked up the DVDs when it was on sale at Target for $22 last week and have enjoyed watching it pretty much in one big chunk. When it was on the air, I was aware of its week-to-week story continuity and such, but am amazed by how great the storytelling is when watching it in one big batch.

I am at home every Sunday from 7:00pm-8:00pm and AD is 50% of the reason why.

Bill Needle 03-06-05 02:19 AM

I've always felt AD would play better on DVD, especially given the erratic airing pattern and long story arcs with comedic payoffs.

Jackskeleton 03-06-05 03:07 AM

dalvin dalvin dalvin.

Didn't we tell you? But you haven't finished Arrested Development. Season 2 is awsome and needs the ratings and support.

My vote is alias, but shouldn't this thread be titled:

"give me advice for my next purchase because I lack any ability to make a choice on my own" ?

Because this thread seems like everything except what the title suggest. Arrested Development.

Rogue588 03-06-05 03:41 AM

well, you shouldn't have wasted your time with AD...didn'tja hear? FOX is cancelling it. ;)

as far as your next three choices..
  1. Never seen the Wire. Heard great things about it, though.
  2. Can't go wrong with the Sopranos. Don't listen to the s5 naysayers.
  3. Get Alias only if you just plan on buying s1. Of course, if you want to see that third pic that Dooku posted, you'll have to get s2 and watch the Post Superbowl episode where it all starts to fall apart [And the cliffhangers end].
If you want something else...well, Homicide: Life On the Streets is one of the best cop shows ever created and Farscape is one of the best Sci-Fi shows.

Jackskeleton 03-06-05 03:45 AM

wait wait wait.. I'm so hung up on dalvins constant lies I forget if he's seen the shield?

Another great Fox production, if I do say so myself. With the fourth season kicking off and the release of the third season on dvd two weeks back, This is a series that is a must have. Especially for anyone who resides in Los Angeles.

Count Dooku 03-06-05 04:32 AM

ALIAS will be the lowest price set of the three and you get nine more episodes of entertainment.

Smidget 03-06-05 09:21 AM

Sopranos > *

Go for Sopranos. It's like each episode is an hour long 5 star movie.

story 03-06-05 11:31 AM

Oh, sorry, I didn't give a recommendation. The Upright Citizens Brigade.

Dalvin 03-06-05 03:32 PM

Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Jennifer Garner is incredible in that last pic. I hate Ben Affleck even more now. The guy is a scumbag like Charlie Sheen, but got J.Lo and now J.Gar. This is just screwed. Hey I can go to Strip joints, cheat on woman, be a bad actor too. Sheesh!
I am leaning towards HBO, as they never let me down. I am going with "The Sopranos". I don't care it has less episodes than Alias, I'm sure the quality will be top notch!

Sessa17 03-06-05 03:47 PM

ALIAS!!! By FAR is where you should go next, but I think season 3 is pretty bad.

Sopranos, is one of the most overrated shows ever IMO after season 1. It's so repetitive & ends up just becoming a farce of itself b/c it takes itself so seriously.

Alias is just cheezy fun, & Garner is insanely hot. It has a tremendous villain for two seasons & a lot of great guest stars.

The Wire I've never seen, but I don't like cop/crime shows.

Ted The Bug 03-06-05 10:45 PM

If you like AD, its likely you'll like Scrubs

dvd182 03-06-05 10:51 PM

Quality-wise, the Wire is actually probably the best out of the three shows you listed, but you really have to be into that genre to appreciate it fully. Sopranos closely follows, and Alias is a distant third. Don't get me wrong, I love Alias (don't believe the naysayers complaining about season two, it and the characters it brings rules, three really isn't that bad either), but the show isn't really in the same league as the HBO shows.

MrJeff 03-16-05 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
If you like AD, its likely you'll like Scrubs

:up: Scrubs, season 1, is not on dvd until May 17th, 2005. I can't wait to watch it, i don't remember when I started watching the show.

Michael Corvin 03-16-05 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dalvin
3) Alias- Have yet to delve into this series, and I heard that season 1 ends many episodes on a cliffhanger, which appeals to me.

Given the three choices, which would you select and why?

Well if you like cliffhangers Alias is the way to go. I just finished season 1 a few weeks back. Most episodes end in a cliffhanger, kinda has a 24 vibe to it in that regard.

starseed1981 03-16-05 04:08 PM

The Shield.

slop101 03-16-05 05:35 PM

Alias is fun, but it just repeats itself over and over. And after about 10-15 episodes, deja-vu sets in. Sopranos has a great 1st season, and the rest are good too, but it's just not very consistent.

The Wire is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. Just a jaw-droppingly amazing show. It has some of the best characters, scripts, acting and directing you will ever see on a TV or even in a movie theater. The only thing, though, is that it requires the viewer's attention. If you don't pay attention you will miss out on a lot, and you won't be as involved as you would be otherwise.

And FWIW, I don't particularly care for "cop-dramas" either. CSI and Law&Order make me want to go to sleep. The sole exception is Homicide, which happens to have the same creator as The Wire...

dcswirl 03-16-05 11:29 PM

If I had to put them in order, I would definitely say start with Sopranos. The Shield and Alias are both great shows as well.

I may have to pick up Scrubs if the price is right. I've only seen a few, but they were funny as hell.