Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Shield: Is it the best show of its kind?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-03-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the first season blind back when all of those wacky Season 1 DVD sets sales were going on, and I just got around to watching the entire set. Simply put, just like it did to tons of other people, it just blew me away. I knew going in that it was quality, but I had no idea just how good it actually was.

Like I've posted before, I don't watch much TV, so I was just wondering if The Shield is the best show of its kind, and if it isn't, what show is?

The only two that I really know of are The Shield and The Sopranos. What else should I really check out? I doubt there is much more out there that can top The Shield though. I love most of the episodes in the first season more than most feature length films of this sort.

On a side note, how about this question. Does the show get better as it goes forward, or does it stay the same quality? Either way, sounds good to me, since the first season was so awesome.

And please, no spoilers on the second, third, and forth seasons.
Old 03-03-05, 11:56 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what you mean by "it's kind", but recently 2 threads popped up about people watching Buffy and Bablyon 5 for the first time. Around here, I think most people would agree they're both better than The Shield.

BTW, don't let anybody tell you that 24 is anywhere near as good as The Shield. They're all dirty, dirty liars.
Old 03-04-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean those gritty cop/crime type hour long shows. Buffy and B5 aren't the type of things I'm talking about.

I have only watched the first episode of 24, season one, and I loved it. I started on my 24 sets last night, since I finished the first season of The Shield.
Old 03-04-05, 12:16 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hehe, I figured you meant crime shows, but I couldn't resist pointing you towards 2 of the board's favorite shows who coincidentally have new threads about them.

As far as crime shows, I think The Shield is pretty unique and just about the best. The only one I can think of that could rival it is Homicide. Most crime shows are just mystery shows which isn't really my thing. I loved how The Shield, and to a lesser extent Homicide, focused on other things than just mysteries that are almost always resolved in an hour.
Old 03-04-05, 12:16 AM

The Shield is pretty much the only cop/crime show I watch....and that's only because I have a friend taping it for me (I don't have cable). I've heard lots of great things about The Wire...no idea how it compares to The Shield.
Old 03-04-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if it's the norm for these types of shows, but I love how throughout the first season of The Shield they had cases continue, like the serial killer deal. There are even some cases they were working on that weren't even solved by the end of the season. They go back and forth, and many aren't solved in a single episode. That is one of my favorite things about this show.
Old 03-04-05, 01:30 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I don't know if it's the norm for these types of shows, but I love how throughout the first season of The Shield they had cases continue, like the serial killer deal. There are even some cases they were working on that weren't even solved by the end of the season. They go back and forth, and many aren't solved in a single episode. That is one of my favorite things about this show.
If you enjoy that you should definitely check out The Wire
Old 03-04-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-04-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer the Wire, but I am a big fan of the Shield. If you love a long story and long cases you have to watch it.
Old 03-04-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I think The Wire is overall the better show out of the two (one of the best tv shows on tv, the best cop/crime show for sure), but The Shield is nothing but quality. It doesn't get blown away by The Wire by any means, The Wire just has something a little extra that The Shield doesn't. They're both top 5 shows (on air) in my opinion. I can't think of another Cop/Crime show that can touch them(not a fan of Soprano's).

As far as the quality of the show. I don't think the quality gets better (they are already at an "A" level in season one and maintain it throughout the seasons) but I think things get more intricate. The plotlines get thicker and there are more "WTF?!?" and "OMG!?!" moments. You are in for a treat.
Old 03-04-05, 08:39 AM

I concur that The Wire is also an excellent quality show along the lines of The Shield, although the premise is not the same. My standard warning with it, though, is that the first 3 or so eps of S1 are a bit slow because they have to establish so many characters, and I know a lot of people gave up on it early. Hang with it, it gets supremely better!!
Old 03-04-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of its kind? It is a show about cops who are either dirty or crossing the line - a lot. I'd say it is a one-of-a-kind show, so the answer to the original question is yes, I suppose.
Old 03-04-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Red Dog

Of its kind? It is a show about cops who are either dirty or crossing the line - a lot. I'd say it is a one-of-a-kind show, so the answer to the original question is yes, I suppose.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I'm not sure what other shows are like The Shield. While I'd agree with others that The Wire is a better show, I don't think they really compare. It certainly is a fantastic show, though.

das
Old 03-04-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah dude, your thread is gonna go all over the map anyway so let me chip in two cents about The Shield. What really IS your question? Do you want to know to know so you can prioritize you viewing list or what?

It is an f-ing amazing show. I love 24, but I certainly wouldn't put IT above The Shield in any viewing order.

My two cents? Make sure you know that all episodes of the show are on DVD now. And if you love the show, you should be making it your MISSION to get caught up with it ASAP so you can watch the new episodes that start NEXT WEEK!

TO ANYONE ELSE READING THIS THREAD...

If you've gotten this far you already know it is a waste of time, nonsensical thread that should be ended or closed. (hint, hint MOD)

Last edited by rfduncan; 03-04-05 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-04-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am simply asking if The Shield is the best show of it's kind...that is, out of all of the hour long cop/crime type shows.

I'm trying to find the second and third season sets at a good price right now, because I really want to be able to watch the new season.
Old 03-04-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am simply asking if The Shield is the best show of it's kind...that is, out of all of the hour long cop/crime type shows.

Well now that the door is open, I'd say it is now. However, I'd rate Homicide ahead of it all-time. Maybe NYPD Blue (at its peak) too, but I'd have to think about it more.

edit: I am also assuming that Law & Order would not qualify under the definition since it is not solely a cop show.

Last edited by Red Dog; 03-04-05 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-04-05, 11:51 AM

Brent/Downhome--I say just go ahead and watch season 4 while it's airing. I was able to follow along with season 3, even though at the time I hadn't seen either of the first 2 seasons. I still haven't seen S2 yet.
Old 03-04-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm trying to find the second and third season sets at a good price right now, because I really want to be able to watch the new season.
So wait - WHY is this in TV Talk? If you want a deal for the other sets = shouldn't this be in DVD Bargains?

This thread is so pointless...
Old 03-04-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh God, there ain't no way in hell I could just start watching the new season. I wouldn't even start watching Scrubs until I downloaded all of the old episodes to catch up. I'm off to town in just a few, and I'll be looking for a deal on the first two seasons.

I've never even seen Homicide or NYPD Blue.

All of those years of just about ONLY watching wrestling has screwed me up, heh.
Old 03-04-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
So wait - WHY is this in TV Talk? If you want a deal for the other sets = shouldn't this be in DVD Bargains?

This thread is so pointless...
Because I was asking a question about the show, and others like it. Saying I was looking for a deal on the other two seasons of the show was just a statement on what I'm doing in general. I wasn't asking for a deal in this thread.

If you don't want to read this thread, then get out and stop your crapping, please.

Thanks a lot everyone, I'll keep my eye out for The Wire now.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 03-04-05 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-04-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by areacode212
Brent/Downhome--I say just go ahead and watch season 4 while it's airing. I was able to follow along with season 3, even though at the time I hadn't seen either of the first 2 seasons. I still haven't seen S2 yet.
Just out of curiousity...why would you purposely watch the show like that? Why watch them out of order when you could've just rented the seasons in order?
Old 03-04-05, 02:57 PM

Because...I don't have a Netflix account? Actually, I started watching it when a friend of mine started taping S3 episodes and lending them to me. And hey, did you know there was a time when people actually started watching shows in the middle of their runs, without the benefit of previous seasons on DVD? Who knew? The Shield isn't so immensely complicated that it's impossible to figure out what's going on without having seen every single episode.
Old 03-04-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

but seeing them all really helps, probably missing some important things, not like jumping into Lost right now but still watching them all before watching season 4 would be good
Old 03-04-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cop dramas?

I wish it were the only show of it's kind...and take reality TV too.

Farscape, Firefly and Angel get cancelled, but we need yet another CSI.

Sigh.
Old 03-04-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by areacode212
Because...I don't have a Netflix account? Actually, I started watching it when a friend of mine started taping S3 episodes and lending them to me. And hey, did you know there was a time when people actually started watching shows in the middle of their runs, without the benefit of previous seasons on DVD? Who knew? The Shield isn't so immensely complicated that it's impossible to figure out what's going on without having seen every single episode.
You can do whatever you want, but the purpose of DVD's, FX re-runs, etc is to be able to take advantage of catching up on shows instead of jumping in mid-stream. That's why TV on DVD comes out so quickly now. But whatever.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.