Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

DirecTivo questions

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTivo questions

Old 03-03-05, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DirecTivo questions

I have been having problems with my main DirecTivo unit. It has been changing the channels late and I often miss the first few minutes of a show (it seems to tack on those extra minutes to the show that was recording in the previous time slot.) Anyway, I am concerned that my hard drive is going to die soon anyway as I use this machine like crazy and have been for over two years. So I decided to upgrade my unit to one of the new R10s and get one with even more recording capacity from Weaknees.com. (I had 105 hours, now I'll have 140.)

So I have the new unit but I haven't hooked it up yet. I plan to do so this weekend since I won't be recording as much and I know it sometimes takes awhile to download all the info so you can set up your Season Passes.

My question is, I still have quite a few things I need to watch on the old Tivo. I have been clearing it out the last week or so, but I still have some stuff like the last 5-6 episodes of Without a Trace, the last Lost, and the last CSI. (I watch all those shows with my husband so we have to find time at night to watch them together.)

Can I just plug the new unit in and start using that but still watch what I need to on the old unit even if it is not hooked up to the satellite? I seem to remember once having some satellite problems and it told me I could still watch the recorded stuff, but I want to make sure that is the case, even if the card is de-activated and all that. I just want to make sure I can still watch the shows even if it's not hooked up to the satellite. I could just keep both of them attached to the TV until I finish watching the old shows. Will that work?

My other question is if there is a way to transfer any of the shows to the new unit? I have a movie on there I'd like to back up also, I was thinking of recording that onto DVD via my standalone DVD recorder, but I wouldn't bother recording the TV episodes onto DVD, that is too much hassle.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-03-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
My other question is if there is a way to transfer any of the shows to the new unit? I have a movie on there I'd like to back up also, I was thinking of recording that onto DVD via my standalone DVD recorder, but I wouldn't bother recording the TV episodes onto DVD, that is too much hassle.
I am assuming your DVD Recorder doesnt have a hard drive? What we tend to do is transfer things to the DVD Recorder at night if our DirecTivo is getting too full. And then just delete them off of there after we have watched them.
Old 03-04-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Can I just plug the new unit in and start using that but still watch what I need to on the old unit even if it is not hooked up to the satellite? I seem to remember once having some satellite problems and it told me I could still watch the recorded stuff, but I want to make sure that is the case, even if the card is de-activated and all that. I just want to make sure I can still watch the shows even if it's not hooked up to the satellite. I could just keep both of them attached to the TV until I finish watching the old shows. Will that work?
You can do this. When I did this a couple weeks ago, it was fine except we kept getting an "Insert valid card" error on the screen the entire time, since we had already deactivated that card and receiver. Also, once the old one is disconnected/deactivated, you won't be able to get into Season Pass Manager, so you should write them all down beforehand.
Old 03-04-05, 08:47 AM

Heck, if you have enough inputs running from your dish, why not keep the old one as a back-up for conflicts? It only costs $5/month to mirror the DirecTV programming, and one Tivo fee covers all Tivo receivers (or no fee if you have appropriate programming or the old lifetime service). Amazing how many times that 3rd and even 4th tuner come in handy (just don't put the more important of the shows on that one in case the hard drive really IS failing... ).
Old 03-04-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slh235
...Amazing how many times that 3rd and even 4th tuner come in handy...
...or a 5th and even 6th tuner, like me
Old 03-05-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NC-36
...or a 5th and even 6th tuner, like me

or a 7th & 8th, with a Comcast HD box dual tuner for HDTV locals making it 9th & 10th, like me

It's a sickness
Old 03-06-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bralph
You can do this. When I did this a couple weeks ago, it was fine except we kept getting an "Insert valid card" error on the screen the entire time, since we had already deactivated that card and receiver. Also, once the old one is disconnected/deactivated, you won't be able to get into Season Pass Manager, so you should write them all down beforehand.
The trick here is to disconnect your unit from the satellite feed BEFORE you make the call to DirecTV to deactivate the card. You will then be able to use the Tivo and watch the recordings indefinitely (it will probably nag you about the satellite link once every great while, but not during your viewing). I routinely take my active second Tivo over to a friend's house for weeks at a time and watch the recorded shows over there.