TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Just watched last 2 shows of ST:DS9...

Old 03-02-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched last 2 shows of ST:DS9...

It has been a long time since I have seen the last 2 shows, SpikeTV just showed them and I must say that it is the best ending I have ever seen for a TV series.

The last 15 minutes was very emotional and respectful to all the characters. I found myself getting emotional as each one of the characters remembered back to how much they will miss their friendships they developed over the past 7 years.

I guess I should that the last year of DS9 was the best final year of any TV show.
Old 03-02-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a good ending if I remember correctly but I wouldn't call it the greatest.

I'm not a big Star Trek fan but DS9 was the only Trek series that I watched regularly.
Old 03-02-05, 03:35 PM

I really enjoyed DS9 and found the final 2 episodes to be somewhat dissapointing. The best moment was watching Bashir and O'Brien bid adieu to each other. The ending of DS9 made me appreciate Babylon 5's fifth season quite a bit more.

The war is finished hurriedly and we never truly see any consequences that the way had on the station the same way we see the consequences of wars in babylon 5 (keeping vague to avoid spoilers). DS9 could have gone on for another 12-15 episodes and I would have been happy. I especially would have liked to have seen some of the items found in the 8th season (a series of books) actually put onscreen.
Old 03-02-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Considering the high quality of the build-up, I thought the ending was relatively weak, especially the stuff with Sisko and Dukat in the Fire Caves.

das
Old 03-02-05, 03:48 PM

It would have been better if Jadzia had still been alive.
Old 03-02-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Considering the high quality of the build-up, I thought the ending was relatively weak, especially the stuff with Sisko and Dukat in the Fire Caves.

das
The fire cave was weak.
Old 03-02-05, 04:35 PM

Overall, I was very satisfied with the ending to DS9. The show was my favorite at the time, and I thought the last half of the season brilliantly set things up for an outstanding conclusion. Unlike many people, I was not disappointed by the resolution of the war. Garak and Bashir's last scene together--where they were discussing the casualties and the utter destruction of Cardassia--was chilling. The celebration at Vic's was great, and the montage at the end always brings a tear to my eye (especially, as others have mentioned, Bashir's goodbye to O'Brien). Odo's goodbye was touching, as was Sisco's.

These were some of the best characters in television history; the time they spent at DS9 changed every single character on the show. (Lets not make this another B5 vs. DS9 debate, both shows had great character development.) And unlike the endings to many shows, where the viewer is left with the comforting thought that life will continue on unchanged for the characters, DS9's finale created a real sense that it was coming to an end. Everyone split up and went there separate ways. But at the very end, as we are thinking about all this, Quark delivers the excellent final line of the show. "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

However, because I love the show so much, I will always be disappointed by the way Sisco's storyline was resolved. I can't believe that the writers couldn't have come up with something better. The entire prophecy was built up so that Sisco could throw the book down the fire pit? I think it was touching that Sisco had to sacrifice himself to fulfill the prophecy and join the prophets. But it could have been pulled off much better. I remember hoping that it would at least be re-edited for DVD, because some of the direction was also off during that scene.

But I don't let this gripe overshadow how successful the finale was in most respects.
Old 03-02-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
in the books has
Spoiler:
sisko come back from being ascended (whoops, that's Daniel on SG1) yet?
Old 03-02-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I appreciate that the finale showed that life changes instead of ending with things status quo like TNG.

Sisko's final act was pretty weak and came off as being tacked on. There he was chilling with the rest of the crew after a job well done, then suddenly realizing he needs to go down to Bajor. Sisko was created by the Prophets in order to tackle Dukat into a pit of fire while he was distracted by Kai Winn? Anyone could have done that!
Old 03-02-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The TV version of these final episodes has a few scenes cut
Old 03-02-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Huh? the ending of DS9 sucked. Everyone turning into minor gods and other weirdness.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-03-05 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-03-05, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Huh? the ending of DS9 sucked. Everyone turning into minor gods and and other weirdness.
Considering the Sisko/Prophets arc throughout the entire series, I didn't find this to be the least bit "weird". If anything, I expected it.
Old 03-03-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chew
Considering the Sisko/Prophets arc throughout the entire series, I didn't find this to be the least bit "weird". If anything, I expected it.
Sure, but it went way overboard with that crap in the last ep. I simply didn't like the way it all went down.
Old 03-03-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How did o'brien and bashir say goodbye? I don't remember
Old 03-03-05, 10:45 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a bit too flowery for me, I guess they won't be making a movie on this series.
Old 03-03-05, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fok
I guess they won't be making a movie on this series.
Which is fine with me...DS9 wasn't a "movie" kind of show--it was more about seeing the characters & plot develop over the course of time and less about the kinds of adventures that you would expect from a movie.

But I remember being disappointed with "What You Leave Behind". I thought the war wasn't resolved in a satisfying way, there was too much Vic Fontaine, and this:

Sisko was created by the Prophets in order to tackle Dukat into a pit of fire while he was distracted by Kai Winn? Anyone could have done that!
Yeah, seriously. All those years of buildup...for that?

Last edited by areacode212; 03-03-05 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-03-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember finding the 10-episode arc leading up to the finale just awesome, and then being feeling a bit letdown in the final ep.

On re-watching it (just recently blasted thru the series on DVD) I realize that while the firecaves subplot in the finale is sucky--especially the way they keep cutting back to it with no passage of time, while major time is passing in the other plots--it's just the weak spot in an otherwise well-thought out, and surprisingly moving and respectful final ep.
Old 03-03-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
It would have been better if Jadzia had still been alive.
I think that is very true, but that was not the fault of the producers. I was keeping up on that series like no other when it was airing, reading up on the future plans for the show, and I know they had a solid arc that included Jadiza going through all of season 7. Her leaving the show for Becker just put a monkey wrench in an otherwise well oiled machine, and I think them having to take a handful of episodes out to introduce a new character and build that character up (which they did pretty well, actually, though at first I did not like the new Dax, but really appreciated her when I rewatched the series on DVD), episodes that would have probably gone towards doing more with the war.

We did get one of the most interesting episodes of season 7. I don't recall the episode's name, but I now think of the episode as "Kill Trill." The one with the Vulcan assasin. I don't know if that would have worked quite as well with Jadzia.
Old 03-03-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I don't recall the episode's name, but I now think of the episode as "Kill Trill."
Old 03-04-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We did get one of the most interesting episodes of season 7. I don't recall the episode's name, but I now think of the episode as "Kill Trill." The one with the Vulcan assasin. I don't know if that would have worked quite as well with Jadzia.
The episode was called "Field Of Fire". It was also the 1st ep that I started to like the "New/Old" character of Dax.
Old 03-04-05, 10:44 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by Fok
I thought it was a bit too flowery for me
true dat homey.
Old 03-04-05, 12:30 PM

I think that is very true, but that was not the fault of the producers.
It's been awhile since I saw the last episode (since it first aired-- we are still on S7 of rewatching on DVD), but I seem to recall that the producers couldn't get Terry Farrell's permission or wouldn't pay her enough to get permission to show clips, and I hated how they showed all the characters flashing back to their memories on the station and the only memories we saw of Dax were Ezri's memories from the past season. That disappointed me since Jadzia was such an integral part of the series until S7. I wished they would have been able to pay her character proper tribute.