Reload this Page >

Investors Pledge $3 Million to Save Enterprise

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-01-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trek United and Save Enterprise just got $3 million from investors who also helped fund space ventures. I still don't think this whole campaign is going to work in the end, but it's cool to see people who have money using it for something they care about.

The benefactors also added a statement explaining why they believe this campaign deserves such a substantial contribution:

"We think Star Trek and especially its latest incarnation, "Enterprise" is the kind of TV that should be aired more often. The people responsible at Paramount think this is just a show and we want to tell them, it is not. We are in the commercial space flight industry and would like to testify that at least one out of two of all the actual entrepreneurs involved in this industry has been inspired by Star Trek; and we are not only good at watching TV sci-fi , we are also good at writing checks, big checks. The people airing this kind of TV have a responsibility; inspiration. Star Trek has inspired us, and particularly Enterprise, with its superb theme song that tells so much about our struggle to move space travel forward and closer to the public, this inspiration is so self evident, that Virgin Galactic has ordered a 5-sub orbital ship fleet from Scaled Composites, a 100 million dollar investment, and the first one being built is going to be christened 'VSS Enterprise.' Now doesn't that ring a bell in Paramount's ears? Now, canceling the series so bluntly, for the sake of just ratings, tells very much about the kind of thinking going on inside Paramount. If we thought the same way, Paul Allen would have never funded the SpaceShipOne program. Sir Richard Branson would never have funded Virgin Galactic and Space Adventures would never have put two space tourists aboard the International Space Station. Instead, we would all be at home watching Survivor or some other reality TV show. Enterprise needs to be renewed, for the sake of fan loyalty, for being quality TV, for bringing imagination and hope for a better future to our homes, but over all that, for inspiring us so strongly that we have fought all our adult lives to bring that future closer to our children and to us."
Old 03-01-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's dead, Jim.
Old 03-01-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That statement reads like it was written by a child, and the comment about the theme song made me immediately check The Onion.

While I will continue to mock this effort, and I believe the gesture is woefully misplaced in more ways than one, I give kudos to people willing to go to such lengths for a show they love.

das
Old 03-01-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
it's cool to see people who have money using it for something they care about.
they need to start caring about something else
Old 03-01-05, 08:59 PM

Where were these people when DS9 ended? Why didn't they put their energies towards saving a good Trek show?

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-01-05 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought DS9 had a full and proper run, though the addition of Ezri in the last season really livened it up for me (no offense). Enterprise is showing massive improvement, and it gets it's legs cut out from under it. I watched ENT pretty steadily the first year or two, pretty much out of habit, but just really stopped caring. When everybody started talking about the difference this year, I tuned in for an ep or two, and was astounded in the difference.

Part of me wants the show renewed, but only if they keep the same writers that have been doing so well this year, otherwise, let it go out on a high note.
Old 03-01-05, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
That statement reads like it was written by a child, and the comment about the theme song made me immediately check The Onion.

While I will continue to mock this effort, and I believe the gesture is woefully misplaced in more ways than one, I give kudos to people willing to go to such lengths for a show they love.

das
I really do wonder if this isn't a scam perpetrated by 4th graders... Nice to know that these supposed investors from the commercial flight industry are good at writing checks in addition to watching tv. (I'm personally only good at watching tv.) But the argument that Star Trek should be made to inspire them is pretty funny. Maybe Paramount can get out of this responsibility to inspire by sending them Farscape DVDs...
Old 03-01-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by C00Ki3
I really do wonder if this isn't a scam perpetrated by 4th graders... Nice to know that these supposed investors from the commercial flight industry are good at writing checks in addition to watching tv. (I'm personally only good at watching tv.) But the argument that Star Trek should be made to inspire them is pretty funny. Maybe Paramount can get out of this responsibility to inspire by sending them Farscape DVDs...
Checks? What are those? Debit and online banking all the way. This was obviously written by a child... or a woman.

Old 03-01-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Too bad it won't work. I am really enjoying this. Oh the times I have wished to go back in time and buy the franchise from DesiLu. Then I could have.....oh crap....it got weird, didn't it.
Old 03-01-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What the hell? When did Enterprise pick up die hard fans?
Old 03-02-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BizRodian
What the hell? When did Enterprise pick up die hard fans?
Honestly, that's basically all the people who still watch. I still watch the show and the few who still do would have to be hardcore fans.
Old 03-02-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to wonder what the makeup of the audience is now? Between this board and a few people I know, I get the feeling there's plenty of new watchers this season. Yet, the ratings have gotten lower. Plenty of "hardcore" fans must of left when it switched to Friday.

Which suggests they have a life.

Yeah, right.
Old 03-02-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My roommate probably said it best in the letter he wrote to Paramount.

He, nor I for that matter, know a single person who watches Star Trek that is part of the nielson network or whatever the term is. And we both probably knowa good amount of people in various areas of the States that watch Trek.

Additionally, with the advent of the internet and especially Tivo/DVRs how can networks really rely on raitings? Also, I would watch it on Friday nights, but since my cable provider does not give us UPN in HD I wait until I can actually see it in HD.
Old 03-02-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
My roommate probably said it best in the letter he wrote to Paramount.

He, nor I for that matter, know a single person who watches Star Trek that is part of the nielson network or whatever the term is. And we both probably knowa good amount of people in various areas of the States that watch Trek.

Additionally, with the advent of the internet and especially Tivo/DVRs how can networks really rely on raitings? Also, I would watch it on Friday nights, but since my cable provider does not give us UPN in HD I wait until I can actually see it in HD.
Probably not a good indicator myself, being shy and all, but I don't know a single person watching any shows, that are Nielson families. I read a theory once that sums up my feelings on the whole process anyways: "There are three kinds of falsehoods: lies, damn lies and statistics."
Old 03-02-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There are two unique issues here that should not be confused:

1) Nielsen is statistically inaccurate, and anyone who tries to convince you otherwise does not have a decent grasp on statistics. They will try to convince you otherwise, utilizing statistical principles that were valid 30 years ago, but their sampling sets are not valid anymore.
2) No one watches Enterprise anyway.

das
Old 03-02-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I have to wonder what the makeup of the audience is now? Between this board and a few people I know, I get the feeling there's plenty of new watchers this season. Yet, the ratings have gotten lower. Plenty of "hardcore" fans must of left when it switched to Friday.

Which suggests they have a life.

Yeah, right.
I think if the show weren't on Friday the ratings might actually have been higher this season than last. The show is one of the top 10 downloaded shows and in the top 25 of TiVo'd shows. Not that this is an excuse. The ratings suck, but should be better.
Old 03-02-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MvRojo
I think if the show weren't on Friday the ratings might actually have been higher this season than last. The show is one of the top 10 downloaded shows and in the top 25 of TiVo'd shows. Not that this is an excuse. The ratings suck, but should be better.
There's a Nielson list for downloaded shows?
Old 03-02-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
There's a Nielson list for downloaded shows?
There should be. But this was a list compiled by some company tracking BitTorrent.

http://www.netimperative.com/2005/02/17/TV_pirates

Top ten most popular pirates TV program downloads worldwide:
1. 24
2. Stargate Atlantis
3. The Simpsons
4. Enterprise
5. Stargate SG-1
6. The O.C.
7. Smallville
8. Desperate Housewives
9. Battlestar Galactica
10. Lost

Granted it's a worldwide list and most of the downloaders are in the UK, but it shows that of the people downloading shows, it's up there.
Old 03-02-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please give this money to the "save Arrested Development" movement.
Old 03-02-05, 01:40 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Star Trek has inspired us, and particularly Enterprise, with its superb theme song...

Last edited by Bandoman; 03-02-05 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

There should be. But this was a list compiled by some company tracking BitTorrent.

http://www.netimperative.com/2005/02/17/TV_pirates

Top ten most popular pirates TV program downloads worldwide:
1. 24
2. Stargate Atlantis
3. The Simpsons
4. Enterprise
5. Stargate SG-1
6. The O.C.
7. Smallville
8. Desperate Housewives
9. Battlestar Galactica
10. Lost

Granted it's a worldwide list and most of the downloaders are in the UK, but it shows that of the people downloading shows, it's up there.

Yeah, I'm sure UPN is proud of this. Pirates don't pay the bills.
Old 03-02-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

If it was still on Wednesday at 8? I think not. Have you heard of a little show called Lost?
Old 03-02-05, 01:55 PM
Banned

Just our of curiousity are there people who would just watch any Star Trek show because its Star Trek? I liked Enterprise but the storylines just seemed to jump the shark people tell me they got better but I lost interest after a while. Same thing goes fro Smallville I thought the first couple of seasons were great but after a while it became redundant and I lost interest. But as for Enterprise goes I could care less if its on or off the air. UPN never had good programming to start with.
Old 03-02-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Slow Hands
Just our of curiousity are there people who would just watch any Star Trek show because its Star Trek?
Yes, but the only reason I stuck with Enterprise was because of our weekly Enterprise bashing threads. The show has improved dramatically this season, so the threads aren't as much fun as they used to be.
Old 03-02-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Damfino
Yes, but the only reason I stuck with Enterprise was because of our weekly Enterprise bashing threads. The show has improved dramatically this season, so the threads aren't as much fun as they used to be.
I get the impression you're torn over which you would rather have.

PS. Another reason they're no fun: Wizdar hasn't shown up much since it got better.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.