Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Senator vows to make cable tv as bland as network tv..

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-01-05, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/01/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Gee isnt this great? what next? The internet?

Last edited by Nonhosonno; 03-01-05 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heck yeah! Where do I sign?

Old 03-01-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...48#post5845648

This is TV Talk. While I guarantee you the FCC's abuse of power with regard to television pisses me off more than just about anyone else you'll ever meet, I'd request we confine thread titles with politically charged hyperbole to the Politics Forum.

das
Old 03-01-05, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Hi Das, sorry I was mad. I agree it should be in the political forum, I just wanted more people to be aware of what was going on since this isnt really getting much media attention, and it probably wont, until its too late. Sorry again.
Old 03-01-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's cool. I can understand how you'd be angry. I know I am. Perhaps a mod can change the thread title to more accurately represent the article, or maybe merge this with the other now somewhat off-topic thread.

das
Old 03-01-05, 07:24 PM

As much as what this senator proposes would piss me off, could a mod change the title so that it reflects that it is A republican and not THE republicans that want to change the regulations?
Old 03-01-05, 07:32 PM
Suspended

I tried changing it and it wouldnt work...
Old 03-01-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
While the morality police can regulate what is shown on broadcast television, as it uses the "public airwaves," broadcast television is quickly becoming irrelevent.

It must drive them nuts that they can only apply their standards of morality to only a half a dozen or so channels out of hundreds.

This certainly opens up a large can of worms, since satellite and cable are privately carried and bypass the public airwaves altogether, and the use of cable television and satellite dishes are 100% voluntary, so you have to actually request for (and pay for) the content to be delivered into your home.

The assholes in Washington have no more right to regulate the content of satellite/cable than they do the content of books.

Hey, Ted, if you hate our Constitutionally-given freedoms so much, why don't you go live somewhere else in the world? There are plenty of other countries that enforce draconian religious standards of morality that you can choose from.
Old 03-01-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is what we get for letting Alaska become a state.
Old 03-01-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Nonhosonno
I tried changing it and it wouldnt work...
I think that only a mod has the ability to change a thread title. You could try the report this thread to a moderator button so they could change it.

It should probably be changed to "A Senator" so all of the Republicans here don't get their panties twisted into a bunch. (And, yes, the Democrats have Lieberman, too, so you can't lay everything at the feet of one party.)
Old 03-01-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder if they have ever caught a late night showing of Jay and Silent Bob or South Park the Movie of Comedy Central...
Old 03-01-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I wonder if they have ever caught a late night showing of Jay and Silent Bob or South Park the Movie of Comedy Central...
Obviously not as their heads would have spontaneously exploded and we wouldn't have to deal with idiocy like this.
Old 03-02-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Metrodub
As much as what this senator proposes would piss me off, could a mod change the title so that it reflects that it is A republican and not THE republicans that want to change the regulations?

But I have to say that when Dems like ole Joey Leiberman does shit like this no posts ever pop up with such explosive titles.
Old 03-02-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Big shit, ONE senator in a state no one pays attention to wants to get his name in the papers (probably to impress the new intern with the nice rack)
Old 03-02-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo

But I have to say that when Dems like ole Joey Leiberman does shit like this no posts ever pop up with such explosive titles.
No kidding. And for the level of distress in their lamentations you'd think the right to hear curse words on TV was the sole source of some people's fulfillment.
Old 03-02-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
No kidding. And for the level of distress in their lamentations you'd think the right to hear curse words on TV was the sole source of some people's fulfillment.

Wow, congratulations for taking the same route as the OP - totally skewing things because of bias.
Old 03-02-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Senator. Ted. Stevens. Can. Kiss. My. Ass.

If you don't like what's on the tv - change the channel. If you don't like what's on cable - don't pay for it. It's pretty simple and straightforward. Or you can actually take a few minutes and get out your user manual and learn how to block a channel.
Old 03-02-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

It is unfair to lambast only Republicans for crap like this when 48 Democrats in the Senate and 180 or so Democrats in the House voted to drastically increase indeceny fines last year. Democrats are not any better on this issue than Republicans.
Old 03-02-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

fortunately, there's HBO (Hebrew Box Office) and the "liberal Jew-run media" ------according to Mr. Show
Old 03-02-05, 10:07 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Heck yeah! Where do I sign?

Has this spread to the TV Talk forum? Tell me it isn't so!
Old 03-02-05, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think that only a mod has the ability to change a thread title. You could try the report this thread to a moderator button so they could change it.

It should probably be changed to "A Senator" so all of the Republicans here don't get their panties twisted into a bunch. (And, yes, the Democrats have Lieberman, too, so you can't lay everything at the feet of one party.)

Damn! I was so hoping to have my panties twisted into a bunch.
Old 03-02-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Wow, congratulations for taking the same route as the OP - totally skewing things because of bias.
The government has done and continues to do things far more damaging to society than talking about knocking some curse words off TV. And some of these things are clearly outside the bounds of the powers they were constitutionally granted. If cleaning up language on television was the worst thing the government ever did I say we would have little to complain about. Some people need a dose of perspective.
Old 03-02-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

I, for one, agree with this.

There, that ought to get the discussion going in a less productive way.
Old 03-02-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bill Needle

Some people need a dose of perspective.
Perhaps from your "perspective" you do not see the giant sign on the hill that reads "TV TALK"?

das
Old 03-02-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Perhaps from your "perspective" you do not see the giant sign on the hill that reads "TV TALK"?

das
I choose to ignore. Sand tastes good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.