Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol 03/01/05 - Girls Edition

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will get the least amount of votes?
Carrie Underwood
2.13%
Aloha Mischeaux
19.15%
Jessica Sierra
4.26%
Vonzell Solomon
8.51%
Amanda Avila
8.51%
Celena Rae
14.89%
Mikalah Gordon
6.38%
Nadia Turner
10.64%
Janay Castine
74.47%
Lindsey Cardinale
6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Vote for your most likely to get the least amount of votes for tomorrow show.
Old 03-01-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the cute little blonde country gal Carrie? I don't care what she does over the next few weeks - because as Simon knows and said, she's definitely a favorite to win the whole thing, and I hope she does. That girl can blow! Errr, sing. She can sing.
Old 03-01-05, 01:09 PM

I think Lindsey might be my favorite even though I don't think see can make it all the way. I hope Mikalah doesn't wear those "Hula-hoop" earrings that she had on last night in the gallery.

Idol contestants- names and faces
Old 03-01-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The audio mixing was horrible, I had to jack up my volume to even hear the vocals, especially for the early singers, which is too bad because it could affect people's perception of their performances.

Great:
None

Good:
Nadia - for what it was, she still stayed with the song.
Jessica - while it was performed well, didn't care for the song, though. The tone of her voice will never wear on me well enough to ever buy an album from her.
Mikaleh - subdued, in control, but didn't care for the song.
Carrie - not her niche, and it showed.

So-so
Amanda - more in her element, just kinda fun, nothing substantial on display.
Celena - not a good Faith Hill song to do.
Lindsey - eh, a so-what song
Vonzell - promising start, but got out of control towards the end.

Not too good:
Janay - horrible, plus her midsection distracted me to no end.
Aloha - boring.

Last edited by Patman; 03-01-05 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Great:
None
Agreed. While they have selected the best group of guys, this is one lousy group of females. Even the ones who were good last week were bad this week. One of my favorites, Nadia, was absolutely horrible!! I couldn't believe what I was watching. Almost everybody botched their songs. I don't think they had the microphone turned up enough (but maybe that was a good thing). Very disappointing!

I disagreed with the judges about Carrie, though. I thought she was one of the few bright spots along with Amanda...but they were all average or below.

Janay is gone but its anybody's guess on the other one.
Old 03-01-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Carrie's vocals still make me tingle, but she did look very awkward in her body movements during the song, and that never sold the song to me, and I like her so far.
Old 03-01-05, 09:18 PM

Janay - horrible, plus her midsection distracted me to no end.
Agreed about the midsection-- who told her that bare midriff look was flattering? She looks like she's at the end of her first trimester. I actually didn't think her singing was that bad, but her flabby abs and the world's worst hairstyle ever just distracted me.

I can't believe I'd ever say this, but my favorite was Mikaleh. She has the most unique voice and even though she did a slow song she didn't bore me to tears like everyone else.
Old 03-01-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem with Mikaleh is that I have to turn off the TV because I can't stand looking at her.

Janay was singing so scared, it was painful to watch. She barely cracked a smile, and it felt like she was walking on a tightrope while trying to sing.
Old 03-01-05, 09:26 PM

Bye-Bye, JANAY! Looks like Lindsey was having a bad hair day. Carrie singing "Piece of My Heart" made me remember that I like Nikki Mckibbin's version much better from Season One and on the Idol's Greatest Moments CD. Mikalah seemed like a normal person tonight but who knows the real Mikalah? Wow, Ryan Seacrest really went out of his way to comfort the girls that faced bad comments from the judges. I guess the Producers felt that last weeks results show may have been too vicious and they have to now try for more sensitivity.
Old 03-01-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I liked Diana DiGarmo's version of "Turn the Beat Around" more than Amanda's rendition.
Old 03-01-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Carrie's rendition of "Piece of My Heart" sounded like a Muzak version. Her vocals were okay, but she was just reading the lyrics off of a cue card, you know?

Nadia was pretty dull, too. Much better last week. Still pretty much the only female who interests me at all as a vocalist.

Mikaleh wasn't bad, either.

Really, only one for ten tonight.
Old 03-01-05, 09:55 PM

IMHO Almost Everyone is pretty below average this season
Old 03-01-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Randy complained that Carrie needs to do country and not blues-y Joplin, but the problem for me was that she was almost impersonating Faith Hill's version. That and the fact that she looked completely uncomfortable with having to move around.

In other news, Mikalah didn't suck.

Bring on next week!
Old 03-01-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who would you say was the best tonight? I don't know that I could say. Again, I guess maybe it was comparitively speaking but I thought Carrie was better than most people seem to. They said she was trying to "rock" but I didn't get that at all. She sounded plenty country to me. And I don't get it, they say to be different and mix it up yet they tell her to stay the same and sing country all the time. Huh???

Now I'm truly convinced the judges can't hear the singers very well. Simon admited as much tonight. They keep saying the next night/week that either a performance was better than they thought or worse when they watch the tape. Simon even apologized to Travis. Why can't they make it so the judges can adequately judge the contestants? You would think that would be an important thing to get right.

And what's with Simon being so nice all of a sudden?? He should have laid into some of those girls for their pitiful performances yet he tries to out-Paula Paula. What gives?? If he keeps this up I'm tuning out.
Old 03-01-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watching it here on the West Coast...

just wanted to know if anyone thought it was funny, after Mikalah's song when everyone was applauding, Travis is whistling with his fingers right next to Constantin's ear. Constantine quickly looked to him like "whoa...damn, that was loud, bro."

Constantine is a hoot. I still get the impression that he acts like he's got more talent that most of the contestants. More power to him, though.

Is Paula agreeing with everything Randy says today? Well, with one exception so far, all 3 seem to be in sync with each other.
Old 03-02-05, 12:00 AM

I don't want to be mean because she is so young, but honestly, if you knew that 30+ million or whatever is going to watch you on television you would really go all out to groom yourself. Janay had one massive mustache on her. First she absolutely bombs, then the close up on her face shows that she has a mustache, ouch!
Old 03-02-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, this is the first time I've posted my thoughts on the performance.

Here's my thoughts:

Aloha Micheaux: Her voice is too gruff for me. And she doesn't present to me a person with an "idol"-like quality. Not even sure what that means, but hopefully you know what I'm getting at.

Lindsey Cardinale -- First of all, "damn!" Second of all, I thought she was good tonight. Safe, but good. Can't say much more than that, other than I liked her song selection. I think it was country, and I'm not a big fan of it, but I enjoyed this song. I'd like to think she had a hand in it.

Nadia Turner -- First of all, grrr!! Despite what the judges said, I liked that she sang "My Love" by Paul McCartney. I wouldn't have expected that from her. I hope it doesn't hurt her in the voting, because I think she's top 5 among the females right now.

Jessica Sierra -- Not too bad. Simon said it was the best vocal performance of the season so far. During the recaps, I couldn't help to think it was at least the most powerful. And that's her voice -- very powerful. I think her song selections will heavily weigh on how well she does.

Celena Rae -- Eh. No, really...just "eh." I could see her being one of the next exits.

Mikalah Gordon -- I'm not a big fan of the song, unless it's Billie Holiday. Boring, I thought. But I think she wanted to go the opposite direction from last week's performance.

Amanda Avila: Umm, yum!! But, seriously, she was leaps and bounds better than I last remember her. I agree with the judges -- a great performance. After this one, I see her improving more and more. I think she's one of the few that actually listens to what the judges are advising her and implements them. I loved her song selection ("Turn the Beat Around")

Janay Castine's song selection wasn't a great one to showcase vocal talent. The song is fun (I remember it being on the radio a few years back, "Hit 'Em Up Style", I believe). I think she's gotta go, though. (Note: I'm typing this before I heard the judges speak. I'm glad they were honest with her.) I feel bad for her, but I wouldn't want her taking away a spot from someone who's more deserving.

Carrie Underwood -- Too country for me, but I like her vocal talent. She turned the Janis Joplin song into something more tamer, and I'm not sure I'm into that. Not that I'm a big Joplin fan, either. But I'd love for her to do something outside of her family tree, something that could surprise us. I wasn't too impressed with her tonight. Despite what Randy said, I didn't think it sounded too bluesy. Still sounded "country" to me.

Vonzell Solomon -- The second Alicia Keys song of the night. I think she's attractive. A non-criterion aside, I thought she was rock solid and self-assured. Her Keys' cover was better than the one before.

Simon: "You're right, Paula...for once." (haha! He said this right after Paula's critique of Vonzell)

My Prediction on the Next 2 to Go:

Janay Castine
Celena Rae
Old 03-02-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Overall the girls are better this year than last year.

I think L. London is still the best woman singer that has ever been on the show. Funny thing is I cannot find anyplace to buy her music.

Has anyone ever seen LL music for sell?
Old 03-02-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with Latoya having the best vocal talent, but I don't think she was the best Idol. She lacked in stage presence where others prevailed.

I was waiting for her to bust loose, hoping for to bust loose, but she was just a bust when it came to stage presence. At least the kind that the majority of voters would want to see.

But let me say this, not only did I find her attractive, she certainly had the best female voice since the inception of the show.
Old 03-02-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I echo most of Patman's opinions in this thread.

Overall, the women sucked when compared to the all the guys performances from last night.

My overall fav so far...Carrie....2nd fav is Jessica......well i really like Nadia too!

Last edited by jpdude; 03-02-05 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with the Janay comments. Eek!

Anyone else think Mikalah's voice is somewhat reminiscent of Taylor Dayne? She kinda looks like her in a way, too. (Sans the hair color.) No?
Old 03-02-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^totally agree! and i was thinking something like that about her, but couldn't place who i was being reminded of......brilliant observation, Mr. Bandit!
Old 03-02-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem with Mikaleh is that I have to turn off the TV because I can't stand looking at her.

Janay was singing so scared, it was painful to watch. She barely cracked a smile, and it felt like she was walking on a tightrope while trying to sing.

I completely agree.

Mikaleh or however you spell it. I can't stand that girl. My friends and I just want to 'chokeabitch' with her.

Janay was horrid. She can't sing and she chooses the worst songs.

--------------

Did anyone else think that Carrie chose that song because of Faith Hill and not Janis Joplin? I was rollin' cause I knew that she picked it because she heard Hill sing it and not Joplin and the judges had the image of Joplin in their heads. I'll bet 20 bucks on the Hill thing.
Old 03-02-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Randy complained that Carrie needs to do country and not blues-y Joplin, but the problem for me was that she was almost impersonating Faith Hill's version. That and the fact that she looked completely uncomfortable with having to move around.

In other news, Mikalah didn't suck.

Bring on next week!

I didn't read the whole thread before I posted, but in my above post...I completely agree with you about Carrie.
Old 03-02-05, 01:04 AM

I like Lindsay but it's a shame I could barely hear her at times. Patty Loveless' version of "I Think About Elvis" is great and I can kind of see why Lindsay chose a fun uptempo song like it after last week's molasses slow ballad. I'll give her a few votes because there were others much worse.

Janay has got to go. Everyone keeps saying she's so nervous. I don't think she's all that nervous....she's just NOT THAT GOOD. And she has a moustache.

Celena is my second choice to be booted. She's pretty and seems sweet, but there's nothing remotely exciting or interesting about her to make me remember her. And she's not even picking very good songs. The arrangements drown out her voice most of the time.

I agree with Simon about being disappointed with Carrie's performance. She was doing "Piece of My Heart" note for note with Faith Hill's version from the early 90s, and it's just a pretty dull lifeless cover to begin with. Maybe it's better that she went the bland route though, because it could have been disastrous if she had tried to do Janis' version. I think she's safe this week.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.