DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   How do you watch TV? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/411511-how-do-you-watch-tv.html)

rfduncan 02-25-05 02:46 PM

How do you watch TV?

Okay this was inspired by the "HBO Sunday (Originals) changing to HBO Monday?" thread.

How many of you actually WATCH live TV. I have found now that I have a TiVo, I almost NEVER watch live broadcasts. On the rare occasion that I do, I usally do things that call me away from the TV fairly frequently (cooking dinner, moving laundry through, bathoom, etc.), causing me to pause live TV or leaving and replaying the TiVo buffer.

How do you most often watch TV?

Master Shake 05 02-25-05 02:51 PM

moderately.

P.S. - I mostly watch Dish DVR, basically a TiVo clone, becuase most of the time I find there's nothing on to watch. If there is, I most likely Record it anyways....It's wierd, though...I have like 400 channels (alot of repeats, though) and there's still nothing on :)

fumanstan 02-25-05 03:02 PM

I only watch live TV. No Tivo, as not enough shows interest me to buy one. No VCR anymore to record shows that i miss. Any shows that i do miss i can catch through other means.

Red Dog 02-25-05 03:04 PM

Up until last month, the only thing I watched live was sports. I watched everything else off DVRs. However, I got my HDTV last month and started watching some programs live. Fortunately, I will be getting my HD-DVR btwn 6 and 8 tonight so I will be able to go back to 100% time-shifting, except for sports.

edit: I certainly don't 'TiVo' anything. ;)

Josh H 02-25-05 03:27 PM

I TiVo everything but sports. Sports I have to watch live, though I still take advantage of pausing during interuptions.

Everything else I tape and watch at my leisure and sans commercials. Even if I want to watch it while it airs, I'll wait until it's half over or so, and start watching the recording while it's finishing taping.

wendersfan 02-25-05 03:33 PM

I watch a couple of shows a week, but I see them through other sources than those listed.

Bronkster 02-25-05 03:38 PM

Years ago, I got myself in the habit of VCRing everything because my job constantly interupted every facet of my life. Although that's no longer the case, I had gotten used to zipping through commercials and also enjoyed being able to watch stuff when I wanted. Now that I have a DVR, with its added flexability, it's made it all sooo much easier! :)

Geofferson 02-25-05 03:57 PM

I watch probably 3-4 shows live every week and catch up on everything else over the weekend on the TiVO.

AndyCapps 02-25-05 04:11 PM

If I'm home, I'll watch a show live. If not, I make use of the ReplayTV.

rkndkn 02-25-05 04:44 PM

The only shows I watch live are "American Idol" and basketball. Otherwise, I record it on the DVD recorder, and watch later or "chase play" on priority shows like "Lost".

Goldberg74 02-25-05 04:51 PM

I seldom watch live TV - I TiVo everything.

Boot 02-25-05 04:54 PM

Usually in the nude with a giant erection.

boredsilly 02-25-05 05:01 PM

I watch one or two shows live a night from monday to thurs. The other shows that have conficting schedules I watch by other means.

jarofclay73 02-25-05 05:10 PM

Got DVR on the digital cable in the living room. In my room, I've got basic cable on my computer which I can also record to my 200GB hard drive. Smooth. :)

Master Shake 05 02-25-05 06:13 PM

wow boot i think i just threw up a little...:lol:

tasha99 02-25-05 07:25 PM

I watch almost everything on Tivo. If I really, really have to watch a show immediately (ie, Lost), I let it get 20 minutes into it so I can fast forward through commercials. I've been known to watch Carnivale live too, since it's commercial free.

The Cow 02-25-05 07:36 PM

HD-DVR or TiVo (depends on which TV) most everything, except for sports. I usually watch most sports as they happen.

Cutting commericals and being able to stop/start at anytime is a huge convenience.

coladar 02-25-05 08:16 PM

I chose Tivo, but it's actually more of an other. Sometimes/Rarely watch HD via live. Mostly record one feed in HD using MyHD, and download the rest as 16:9 XVids from various sources... They are immensly higher quality than recording off a non-HD Directivo, in addition to being widescreen. The joys of having a PC connected to my TV via DVI at 720p. :)

Patman 02-25-05 08:37 PM

I have HDTV, but no HDTV recorder, so I usually make a choice as to which show I want to watch in HD, and ReplayTV the rest of the shows in the same timeslot when conflicts arise.

Third Baseman 02-25-05 09:40 PM

I watch live TV - but often "cheat" with my
Spoiler:
computer

WarriorPrincess 03-01-05 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Okay this was inspired by the "HBO Sunday (Originals) changing to HBO Monday?" thread.

How many of you actually WATCH live TV. I have found now that I have a TiVo, I almost NEVER watch live broadcasts. On the rare occasion that I do, I usally do things that call me away from the TV fairly frequently (cooking dinner, moving laundry through, bathoom, etc.), causing me to pause live TV or leaving and replaying the TiVo buffer.

How do you most often watch TV?

The closest option for me was always tivo (dish 508), never live, but in reality I do watch live tv maybe 5-10% of the time - usually when my boyfriend wants to watch something because he has no interest in my recorded shows. And before I had a dvr I always watched my shows that were recorded using a vcr, live about 5-10% of the time, same reason. I am one of the oddities that actually used a vcr in a really similar fashion to a dvr - the only thing it couldn't do was have a running buffer (which I love) - and of course the quality of the image was crap. I actually would have two vcrs hooked up at the same time - one to record, the other to watch the recorded shows, because if I waited for the recordings to finish at 10-11 pm, I'd never have time to actually watch the shows. By using two, I solved that problem. :)

Meatpants 03-01-05 12:05 PM

Tivo everything. Sports is the ultimate - I always let the Tivo roll for a half hour or so after the game starts so I can zip through all the commercials. :thumbsup:

Chew 03-01-05 12:11 PM

Football is the only thing I watch live.

I even schedule my evenings so as to make the most use out of time. Tonight for example: Amazing Race starts at 8. I'll be starting it around 8:30 and catch up to "live" right around the last segment.

B.A. 03-01-05 12:16 PM

I watch live TV and use the ol' VCR @ home.

And there are a couple of shows that I Tivo @ my parents' house that I watch when I pick up my daughter after work a couple times during the week.

I have been putting off getting a DirecTivo for over three years. Other things just keep getting in the way (Yes, I know it isn't that expensive).

Achtung 03-01-05 12:24 PM

Most of the stuff I watch is on the Tivo. Sports I generally watch live, though I Tivo soccer when its on either early in the morning or during the day while I'm at work.