DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   HBO Sunday (Originals) changing to HBO Monday? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/411470-hbo-sunday-originals-changing-hbo-monday.html)

Red Dog 02-25-05 11:18 AM

HBO Sunday (Originals) changing to HBO Monday?

Call it the Desperate Housewives effect....from tvguide on-line:

ON THE MOVE: Is Monday the new Sunday? HBO certainly hopes so. In an effort to jump-start a new night of original programming, the pay cabler will shift the fifth and final season of Six Feet Under to Monday nights when the show returns in June, Variety reports. The move comes as HBO's hold on Sunday night is slipping. Airing opposite Desperate Housewives, Carnivāle has been averaging just 1.7 million viewers this season. So that explains why "Management" was in such a foul mood last week. (That's a little inside joke for us Carnivāle buffs.)
In a sense, I wish they'd move Deadwood to Mondays (only thing I watch is Las Vegas) when it starts back, but heck, with DH and Boston Legal, I'll probably end up watching Deadwood off the DVR on Monday nights anyhow.

Chew 02-25-05 11:20 AM

Didn't it used to be networks running scared from Sopranos? Nothing on HBO has quite the pull of that anymore, does it?

Flay 02-25-05 11:23 AM

Wouldn't Monday night in the middle of June be up for anyone?

Red Dog 02-25-05 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
Didn't it used to be networks running scared from Sopranos? Nothing on HBO has quite the pull of that anymore, does it?

That - and Sex and the City. DH probably captured every SATC viewer.

das Monkey 02-25-05 11:24 AM

Wow. HBO Sundays have been the backbone of quality television for so long that it will be strange to see it start shifting around. With each passing development, I'm really starting to fear that the days of HBO making the absolute highest quality shows are going to be a thing of the past. I hope I'm wrong on that, but they seem to be paying way more attention to ratings than they ever did before and worse, making creative decisions based on it.

das

Red Dog 02-25-05 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I hope I'm wrong on that, but they seem to be paying way more attention to ratings than they ever did before and worse, making creative decisions based on it.

I would suspect that they have suffered a net subscriber loss after SATC ended and during the long periods where Sopranos is off the air.

rfduncan 02-25-05 11:35 AM

Well it doesn't help that they re-air every Sunday show every night of the following week! If I have a conflict with a Sunday HBO show, I just tape it later that night on HBOW or later on in the week on regular HBO. Moving things to Mondays doesn't affect me at all - probably wont affect most other people's viewing habits either.

Truth be told - I think this is a poor response to slipping show quality. Once Six Feet Under ends (after this season, right?) and Sopranos wraps - I will have little reason to keep HBO. Carnivale is okay and so is Curb Your Enthusiasm (dislike The Wire, Deadwood, eh on Entourage and don't care about Unscripted, Project Greenlight - UGH! K Street), but they alone are not enough to keep me as a subscriber. They need a new OZ and a new Sopranos to repair their line-up. They SHOULD snatch Arrested Development and any other quality productions that are being canned for low ratings though they are great shows.... (Wonderfalls)

tasha99 02-25-05 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well it doesn't help that they re-air every Sunday show every night of the following week! If I have a conflict with a Sunday HBO show, I just tape it later that night on HBOW or later on in the week on regular HBO. Moving things to Mondays doesn't affect me at all - probably wont affect most other people's viewing habits either.

Truth be told - I think this is a poor response to slipping show quality. Once Six Feet Under ends (after this season, right?) and Sopranos wraps - I will have little reason to keep HBO. Carnivale is okay and so is Curb Your Enthusiasm (dislike The Wire, Deadwood, eh on Entourage and don't care about Unscripted, Project Greenlight - UGH! K Street), but they alone are not enough to keep me as a subscriber. They need a new OZ and a new Sopranos to repair their line-up. They SHOULD snatch Arrested Development and any other quality productions that are being canned for low ratings though they are great shows.... (Wonderfalls)

I wonder how they calculate ratings when there are so many repeats--surely many people, especially those without Tivo's, just watch sometime during the week (especially when network tv doesn't repeat that way.) As for show quality, it's just a matter of taste. Sunday night is going to be my dream tv night in a few weeks--new episodes of Carnivale and Deadwood (for me easily the two best current shows on tv) airing on the same night. :D I never could get into Oz and lost interest in the Sopranos after the third season, but I'm mostly a fan of scifi/fantasy and period pieces. I love Six Feet Under though, partly because it's tv magic realism.

I do agree that HBO needs to be constantly putting out quality shows--the movies are great, but I subscribe because of the shows (and often only subscribe when a show I like is on.) I heard there's a show called "Rome" coming out, which I'm looking forward to since it sounds like a period drama. Not sure when it comes out though, if at all.

das Monkey 02-25-05 12:49 PM

What sucks is that the quality <i>hasn't</i> slipped at all. Everyone has his own individual tastes, but <i>Six Feet Under</i> is every bit as good as <i>Oz</i> or <i>The Sopranos</i>, and <i>The Wire</i> is better than all of them. <i>Carnivāle</i> hasn't been as strong this season, but it's still quite good, and <i>Deadwood</i> is off to a wonderful start. <i>The Sopranos</i> and <i>Sex and the City</i>, both excellent shows, benefited from some inflated cult status, but I think it's folly to expect that to happen again or continue happening. They were great shows, but they're not any better than what's currently on the air. It would really help to have another comedy for women to obsess over, but <i>Curb Your Enthusiasm</i> and <i>Da Ali G Show</i> are just as funny, just more geared towards male audiences.

HBO's strength is that their shows are simply better than everyone else's. At present, that's still true, but if they start mucking around with it -- like it appears they've done with <i>Carnivāle</i> -- it will be a huge loss.

das

Dr. DVD 02-25-05 12:51 PM

Wrestling from WWE sucks now, so I would be fine with them moving. OF course it's not like I can't catch their shows on countless repeats, unlike the networks.

Josh H 02-25-05 01:26 PM

I don't get HBO, but if I did I'd be happy with this as there's nothing on Monday nights that I like. Sundays there's Desperate Housewives (and football during the NFL season).

But to be honest I Tivo everything anyway so it really doesn't matter what day something airs anymore.