DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   American Idol 2/23/05 - The Results! (Spoilers Ahoy!) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/411221-american-idol-2-23-05-results-spoilers-ahoy.html)

Patman 02-23-05 08:53 PM

American Idol 2/23/05 - The Results! (Spoilers Ahoy!)

I think it's fairly impossible not to talk about who got the boot in real time under spoiler tags, so, if you're on the west coast, please don't read this thread until you've seen the show.

Discussion continues in real time in the next thread for the rest of us who have seen the show...

Patman 02-23-05 08:54 PM

Holy crap, that was a painful farewell performance by Sarah. That stage was the last place on earth she wanted to be, to be singing the song that the judges said tanked her in the competition.

Jared also got the boot, as did Melinda.

Wow, a surprise for the 2nd guy going home: Judd.

vaporware 02-23-05 08:58 PM

It's totally dicked up how they are revealing the losers. Someone needs to smack Ryan upside the head and knock Seacrest out!

sportsfan64 02-23-05 09:04 PM

I think when they ask the singer that's getting kicked off to sing again, they should start singing, drop the mike, then beat the shit out of Seacrest.

LorenzoL 02-23-05 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by waporvare
It's totally dicked up how they are revealing the losers. Someone needs to smack Ryan upside the head and knock Seacrest out!

I agree completely especially what Seacrest did to Judd. It's bad enough that you telling them that America voted you out for the competition but don't make the situation worse by playing with their emotions. That's just plain cruel.

Darkfriend 02-23-05 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
I think when they ask the singer that's getting kicked off to sing again, they should start singing, drop the mike, then beat the shit out of Seacrest.

:lol: Agreed.

Lots of cheap suspense tactics by Seacrest...

And that singing after being booted is both funny/painful to watch hehe.

Astro 02-23-05 09:09 PM

Funny how Seacrest didn't ask any of the othe losers how they felt after the first girl complained she hadn't gotten as much air time as others. Pretty valid point.

I'm still waiting for the day when the loser refuses to sing or walks off in the middle of the performance. It almost happened tonight I think. Fun stuff! -biggrin-

Patman 02-23-05 09:12 PM

It'd be funny if the booted were to start rapping the lyrics on their farewell song.

TabascoKid 02-23-05 09:15 PM

Wow. Janay dodged a major bullet tonight.

I will miss Sarah. I had liked her during her first auditions, and she was really hot.

I can agree with everyone else who went though.

Patman 02-23-05 09:16 PM

Joseph couldn't believe that he went through, he kept pawing at Seacrest, disbelieving the good news.

Merkin Muffley 02-23-05 09:24 PM

Wow...the way they dumped Melinda was hardcore. That's the roughest putdown I've ever seen on this show. The Judd smackdown wasn't any prettier. Kind of funny, kind of sick.

And this whole "You suck, loser........now sing a happy song" thing is brutal. Tonight's "performances" were much more painful than I remember from seasons past. Ouch.

Mad Dawg 02-23-05 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Joseph couldn't believe that he went through, he kept pawing at Seacrest, disbelieving the good news.

rotfl

So true.

I wasn't surprised by the guys, but the girls shocked me. I thought it would be Janay and probably Celena. I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that Mikalah's not going anywhere.:(

LorenzoL 02-23-05 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that Mikalah's not going anywhere.:(

I guess most of America likes her which is very bad for us. Another week of watching and hearing her "perform".

Keith123 02-23-05 09:55 PM

OMG, I agree about Melinda- that was rough seeing her truly shell-shocked and heartbroken. Maybe the other 3 that were also kicked out felt it just as bad, but the visual on Melinda's face was especially sad to watch.

Heat 02-23-05 09:57 PM

It was almost like:

"Man, your choice of song really sucked, you'd still be here if you had only chose a different song.

Let's here it again, so we can remember how crappy of a job you did on picking the right song."

I hope they randomly match up the girls and guys for duets one of these weeks.

ChrisHicks 02-23-05 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Keith123
OMG, I agree about Melinda- that was rough seeing her truly shell-shocked and heartbroken. Maybe the other 3 that were also kicked out felt it just as bad, but the visual on Melinda's face was especially sad to watch.

I was so hoping she would have snapped and killed Seacrest

moocher 02-23-05 10:30 PM

I for one was glad to see Melinda gone. She sang awful. Every other note was off key yet she blames "lack of exposure". Baloney! You sang terribly and you're gone - simple as that. (Well, I guess not so simple since Janay is still around.) She seemed furious. She looked like she wanted to smack someone but couldn't decide who to smack. I think Seacrest was a little scared of her...

What I don't understand is why the judges can't seem to hear that someone is off key until they see the tape later. They raved over Melinda last night yet tonight they agreed that she was "very pitchy" "after watching the tape". Glad America heard the same thing I did rather than listen to R, P, and S.

Charlie Goose 02-23-05 10:45 PM

You people are being way too hard on Ryan Seacrest. He's not the one in charge, just the chimp with a mike. During the 2nd guys' elimination, he told the bottom row to relax, but he didn't say anything about them being safe. I thought it was just an error on his part. I like to see them shuffle up the announcement that way.

Rumor has it that Bo plays instruments and writes his own songs. Where did I hear that? Oh yeah, from HIM every time he's on.

Funniest shots were after Judd was eliminated. All the girls were catching flies. "Hunh?" "Whuuh?" "Duuuhh?"

So Constantine didn't say "stick with rap" to Randy the other day?

moocher 02-23-05 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
You people are being way too hard on Ryan Seacrest. He's not the one in charge, just the chimp with a mike.

Yeah, you're probably right. I think Seacrest generally goes by the script he is given and I doubt he writes it. They are getting a bit over the top with the contrived suspense this year. Tonight is probably going to upset some people - especially Judd's elimination. But I say its all fair game. These people knew what they were signing up for. It's not like they haven't seen the show or anything. Hard to feel too sorry for them especially after reactions like Melinda's tonight.

Groucho 02-23-05 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
So Constantine didn't say "stick with rap" to Randy the other day?

I guess not. Of course, everybody thought he did, so the damage was already done. Not that it matters, since he survived this round.

nazz 02-23-05 11:30 PM

I actually thought Seacrest seemed uncomfortable with some of it. I think he plays the role he's paid to but that he does have compassion for the singers.
I heard him aplogize to one of the girls for having to put her through this.

digitalfreaknyc 02-23-05 11:36 PM

Wait. I didn't see tonight. What happened with Judd??? What did they do to him?

Mad Dawg 02-23-05 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Wait. I didn't see tonight. What happened with Judd??? What did they do to him?

They had two rows, 6 in front, 6 in back. During the first cut, they had the front row stand (including Judd), and went through one by one until Jared was cut. When it was time for the second cut, Ryan told the front row that they had done all of the work the last time, so now they could "relax." Then after going through the top row in twos and telling them they were safe, he turned around and said, "Judd, you are out" or something to that effect. It was pretty cold.

maiana 02-24-05 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by nazz
I actually thought Seacrest seemed uncomfortable with some of it.

I agree, when he turned back to the first row of guys to tell Judd he was out he looked really grim and unhappy.

Shilex 02-24-05 12:18 AM

I really don't like this dragging out the eliminations for an hour, and what they did tonight was almost unbearable to watch. If this is the way they're going to eliminate them, then I'm just going to read the results online. And what's with all the fake scare tactics and tricks? Just tell them they're out and let them be on their way.