Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol 2/23/05 - The Results! (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 2/23/05 - The Results! (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I guess not. Of course, everybody thought he did, so the damage was already done. Not that it matters, since he survived this round.
I think a decision was made for Seacrest to cover for him...I'm pretty sure it was Constantine that said it, not Ryan. Someone who TIVOed Monday's show and saved it should double check...or create a clip so we can all check it out.

Can't say I'm sorry for any of last night's exits. They all deserved to go...although the girls that got booted were far worse than the guys that got booted. That's why the boy/girl split is unfair this year...there are about six or seven really good guy singers, and only about two or three really good girl singers. So when they get to the final 12, 3 of those girls are going to get spots that would have probably gone to guys in previous years.
Old 02-24-05, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just rewatched that Constantine exchange on my ReplayTV. Although i couldn't figure out who actually said it, the closed captioning on my TV actually read:

Ryan: Stick with the rapping.

I can't remember... are the Monday/Tuesday shows also live? If so, then perhaps Ryan really did say it as opposed to Constantine.
Old 02-24-05, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Darq
I just rewatched that Constantine exchange on my ReplayTV. Although i couldn't figure out who actually said it, the closed captioning on my TV actually read:

Ryan: Stick with the rapping.

I can't remember... are the Monday/Tuesday shows also live? If so, then perhaps Ryan really did say it as opposed to Constantine.
I didn't hear the exchange so it appears now that Ryan takes the "credit." One way to find out is to hear Randy's reactions to Constantine from now on. Good ol' reliable Randy ... if he holds a grudge you will hear it in his critique ... someone will be in his dogpound
Old 02-24-05, 07:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The camera was on Randy when the rap comment was made.
Old 02-24-05, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shilex
I really don't like this dragging out the eliminations for an hour, and what they did tonight was almost unbearable to watch. If this is the way they're going to eliminate them, then I'm just going to read the results online. And what's with all the fake scare tactics and tricks? Just tell them they're out and let them be on their way.
I whoeheartedly agree! I'm not watching 3 nights a week anymore. This was painful to watch and I can find out later that night or the next day who won. I don't see why they can't just announce who was eliminated the following week at the start of a new program... ohh, I know, that would be less money in some fatcat's pocket.
Old 02-24-05, 07:49 AM

I rewatched it again. It was 100% Ryan for sure.
Old 02-24-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I cant believe Constantine tried to take credit for Seacrest's "stick with rap" statement. What a jerk.
Old 02-24-05, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I cant believe Constantine tried to take credit for Seacrest's "stick with rap" statement. What a jerk.
?? --Don't think Constantine even wanted the credit that was falsely laid upon him.
Old 02-24-05, 11:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who are these "50%" that actually found something entertaining in Mekayleh's (sp, whatever) performance? It must be 13 year old girls (who relate to her goofiness) or something, because she's not cute, her voice is only so-so, and her personality is obnoxious.

What I thought sad but funny was Sarah's farewell performance. It's this upbeat song, and Tuesday night before she was dancing around the stage while she sang. Last night she did the exact same song, but she just stood almost motionless... but with just a little uncomfortable nervous shuffling in place.
Old 02-24-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because the camera was on Randy, it was unfortunate that people presumed Constantine had made that comment about sticking with rap. I've played it back and it was definitely Ryan's voice. I'm glad they tried to clear it up last night, as Constantine doesn't deserve to be tagged with a sarcastic comment he didn't say. People can hold little comments like that against someone.

Not too surprised with the eliminations, though it was certainly cruelly manipulative. Thought Judd would last a little longer.
Old 02-24-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by DRG
Who are these "50%" that actually found something entertaining in Mekayleh's (sp, whatever) performance? It must be 13 year old girls (who relate to her goofiness) or something, because she's not cute, her voice is only so-so, and her personality is obnoxious.
On her 18th birthday I will officially be able to say what I think of Mekayleh.

The problem with thie new format is that no one was ever booted in front of this small an audience this soon. Before, the TOP TWO went on, and the rest had hopes of being a wildcard. Once you lost the wildcard, you had been there already.

NOW, you get dimped an the 5 people in the audience clap, your not even top 12, guarenteed a spot on the AI tour doing backup and some small solo's
Old 02-24-05, 12:35 PM

My wife and I tivo's the episode, and with all of the crap that we were able to fast forward through, we were able to get done with the entire show in about 15 minutes. I think that is how we are going to handle the elimination show now.
Old 02-24-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by sjrab16
My wife and I tivo's the episode, and with all of the crap that we were able to fast forward through, we were able to get done with the entire show in about 15 minutes. I think that is how we are going to handle the elimination show now.
I used to be able to get through the 30 min elim shows in 5 minutes
Old 02-24-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I feel really, really bad for anyone who watches this show live instead of Tivoing it or taping it. I mean, the elimination rounds have always been torture (and at least this time, we don't have to sit through some group song or ford focus commercial), but this one was an hour! I'm waiting for the day when we have a two hour elimination ceremony...

What's worse is that, to keep things interesting, they have to pull crap like they did last night, basically crushing the kids.
Old 02-24-05, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
On her 18th birthday I will officially be able to say what I think of Mekayleh.
Wait. Lemme guess. That she's the most *popular* girl in HS? Actually, she has a sort of Barbra Streisand appeal to her as long as she learns brevity as she matures. I honestly found her beyond obnoxious in these auditions.
Old 02-24-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I disliked her from the day she (jokingly?) said she wanted to be the American Idol so she can buy her mom breast implants like she wanted... ugh.
Old 02-24-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WOW, all the hate for a potential pop star that would have a personality OTHER THAN

'I will appear half naked in every video in order to be "Cutting edge" and "Shocking!!!"'
Old 02-24-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Damn, how shitty was to edit the show so that was possible to have the audience think Ryan's comment came from Constantine?

Something like that could've cost him the competition.
Old 02-25-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mikalah, imho, is going to be a hottie. (She's on her way now. Like the other guy, when she's 18, I'll expand.)

As for personality, however, I personally wouldn't want to live with it. And I wouldn't says she's the hottest of all the female performers on AI this year.

Last edited by SlingshotBandit; 02-25-05 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-25-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also don't agree with the tricks they are pulling on the kids. The mind games suck especially if you could picture yourself up there. And to tell them to sing the songs they sucked singing the night before? Yes, they've done this in the past but the criticism has been harsher this year. I'd be too tempted to say "F U American Idol!"
Old 02-25-05, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by big whoppa
I also don't agree with the tricks they are pulling on the kids. The mind games suck especially if you could picture yourself up there. And to tell them to sing the songs they sucked singing the night before? Yes, they've done this in the past but the criticism has been harsher this year. I'd be too tempted to say "F U American Idol!"
Yeah, but to look at this from an opposite viewpoint - If the contestant approaches the AI schtick with a good attitude, and really belts out their good-bye performance, then could there be a one-in a million chance that they receive a phone call from some record company exec or similar, the next day, who is willing to take a chance on them?

Walk off stage in a huff, and they would be frowned upon by the exec types.

If they want to be in the game, its probably better to play it.
Old 02-25-05, 11:35 AM

I don't know I could see the first person to walk off the stage get a big deal. Look at William Hung, he got a record contract and he had no talent. If someone made a name for themselve by telling AI to F off then I could see them getting some sort of deal.
Old 02-25-05, 11:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yes, because behaving like an asshole after American Idol has worked so well for Justin Guarini.
Old 02-25-05, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Damn, how shitty was to edit the show so that was possible to have the audience think Ryan's comment came from Constantine?

Something like that could've cost him the competition.
Damn. I watched the Tivo recording this morning, but forgot to listen for the comment... and missed it. What happened? Personally, I don't like Constantine and don't care if he is eliminated at some point. However, you've peeked my interest. Now I need to know what happened.
Old 02-25-05, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yes, because behaving like an asshole after American Idol has worked so well for Justin Guarini.
Having not seen the first season of AI, what did Justin do that made you bring this up?

Heh... just did a google search on him and found his website... http://www.justinguariniweb.com/#

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice... make your own Justin Guarini movie/video. *barf*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.